Closing non-financial boards?

I’m not sure they will survive this.

Totally agreed. Time will tell...
2 Likes

There will be plenty of places on the remaining boards to receive help on wiring an electric outlet (definitely part of home ownership) or rebooting a PC or Living Below Your Means or Retirement questions. Those will all still be around.

Jen

A clarification description of what’s NOT being closed is needed.

Board by board would be useful.

The sooner the quicker.

1 Like

You’re right. But I still say that compared to this, p2p is a stubbed toe. TMF survived p2p. I’m not sure they will survive this.

–Peter

There’s an old saying about “If it ain’t broke …”

I don’t see the brokeness here.

You don’t cure a stubbed toe (To continue the metaphor) by amputating the leg.

CNC

Until now, TMF has provided a true community, one that serves such a variety of concerns and enabled significant short-term and long-term relationships to take root and grow strong. And people often meet find other groups that are especially meaningful for them by looking at the board involvements of posters they find particularly interesting. And within these newly discovered groups, they are often able to find valuable guidance and meaningful relationships. And they often become valuable contributors. “Taking Care of Parents” is one of those boards. Cross-fertillization. Just like in real life.

So I find it sadly counterproductive that TMF has decided that certain non-financial boards are okay to keep around, but that the vast majority are headed for the dumpster. Including a board like “Pandemic,” which has been instrumental in helping so many understand—to the degree possible—important realities involving covid and efforts to prevent and treat it. It is a jewel.

I have found TMF to be such a valuable antithesis to much of today’s constrictive ways of looking at the word. But they are now heading straight toward that rigid, prefabricated, superficial structure. It is such a loss—and so very sad.

=sheila

28 Likes

Compared to this, the pay-2-play event was a stubbed toe. Continuing the metaphor, this is going to be like an amputated foot.

I’d actually analogize the pay-2-play governing principle as the amputated foot, remembering the loss of life that occurred then. And I’d call this brilliant move comparable to amputating the leg up at the hip. And giving the patient only a cane to walk with for support.

=sheila

I have found TMF to be such a valuable antithesis to much of today’s constrictive ways of looking at the word. But they are now heading straight toward that rigid, prefabricated, superficial structure. It is such a loss—and so very sad.

Sorry for one of the typos. Should be “world,” not “word.”

I have found TMF to be such a valuable antithesis to much of today’s constrictive ways of looking at the WORLD.

=sheila

Please keep the Women’s Health board open. Sheila727 literally saved my life when she advised me to get a second opinon after my breast cancer diagnosis.

Wendy

2 Likes

Back when Amazon only sold books, even though I do buy books, I didn’t visit Amazon’s site very often.

Now that they sell everything, I spend way more money there than I should, and I seem to hit their site almost every day, even just for research.

The thing is, getting rid of the non-financial boards is going to hurt the financial boards by giving people fewer reasons to visit the boards at all.

That is how it works. I’m surprised the Fool hasn’t realized that, and it makes me wonder if there isn’t some reason other than focus or finance for killing the other boards.

6 Likes

WendyBG, I am so happy Sheila727 was there for you. I expect there are many personal connections over the years that have had significant impacts on our lives.

Fortunately, I believe there are additional forums out there for discussing personal and critical issues such as women’s health and I hope you will find them and pass on the encouragement, knowledge and support you received here in your time of need.

Fuskie
Who is making the most of his TMF Community while he can…

Premium Home Fool: Ask me a Foolish Question, I’ll give you a Foolish Response!
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), Virgin Galactic (SPCE), Axon Technologies (AXON), 51Jobs (JOBS)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disassociation: The views and statements of this post are Fuskie’s and are not intended to represent those of The Motley Fool or any other sane body
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post: https://tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu…
Invitation: You are invited to interactively watch Motley Fool Live online television: https://www.fool.com/premium/live/
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!

2 Likes