This Board is Closing

Update from The Motley Fool…

Non-financial boards are closing soon.

We will be closing non-financial boards in the near future. Once closed, these boards will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you’re disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Wow, Troy. Closing the Improve the Fool Board seems ironic.

Should we take that to heart? TMF is no longer interested in improvement?

3 Likes

Closing our feedback loop???

The closing of the non-financial boards will make a large void in my daily routine. Before I retired I was interested in the 4% rule, mutual funds, individual stocks, wills, trusts, financial planers, and planning for a good retirement. The Fool provided all that. At one point the Fool changed to a subscription service and I participated in that for a couple of years then they went back to being a freebie.

In addition to the financial help I received I learned how to unstop toilets, kill mice, wire electrical outlets, reboot a PC, update the IOS on my iPhone, sell a house, buy a house and a myriad of other interesting things.

I truly fail to see how closing the non-financial boards will lead to Improving the Fool.

Regards,

ImAGolfer

10 Likes

Hi Y’all

This board is NOT closing, nor is any board in the Your Money column on the main board page (https://discussion.fool.com/ ), including ones about Help with this Stupid Computer, Home/Car Ownership, Personal Finance and giving the Fool feedback. The boards in Your Life column are closing though for a myriad of reasons.

There will be plenty of places on the remaining boards to receive help on wiring an electric outlet (definitely part of home ownership) or rebooting a PC.

Jen

1 Like

You do realize that closing some boards will not stop the discussions that happen there. Those discussions will migrate to the financial boards and dilute (or pollute, if you prefer) the discussions that happen on the remaining boards.

—Peter

This board is NOT closing, nor is any board in the Your Money column on the main board page (https://discussion.fool.com/ ), including ones about Help with this Stupid Computer, Home/Car Ownership, Personal Finance and giving the Fool feedback. The boards in Your Life column are closing though for a myriad of reasons.

I guess you have not looked at your folder structure lately. The Help with this Stupid Computer and Buying and Maintaining a Car boards are in the Your Life column.

PSU

1 Like

Hi Peter,

Yes, we recognize that is a possibility and we hope some of the conversations do migrate…such as folks on the Gardening board starting to ask questions on the Homeownership board. And we’re prepared to handle the off-topic posts that do migrate over…I expect the Report Post button to be used quite a bit more in the coming weeks and we’ll be monitoring the remaining boards on our own to pull posts.

It’ll be a change and it might be a bit messy at first but we’ll get through the transition.

Jen

1 Like

I guess there is one positive. I’m retiring soon. With over 57k posts, I’ve wasted enough time here. I don’t need to waste my retirement.

PSU

5 Likes

Hi PSU,

Are you sure about that? :wink:

We moved both of those, and a few others, to Your Money last week. But if you had the boards favorited, you might not have even noticed.

I can honestly say, I have spent more time on the folder structure in the last few weeks than I ever dreamed I would when I created my account almost 25 years ago.

Jen

1 Like

Well, I didn’t go clicking on each individual board to see if it was moved. I based my post on this page https://discussion.fool.com/ which is now horribly outdated.

2 Likes

Hi PSU

I wouldn’t go clicking through every board either if I didn’t have too!

I think it’s a cache thing…Help with This Stupid Computer does show on the Your Life column but not if you click into it or the Computers, Phones & Internet topic.

Weird. I’ll have someone look into it.

Jen

I think it’s a cache thing…Help with This Stupid Computer does show on the Your Life column but not if you click into it or the Computers, Phones & Internet topic.

It’s not a cache thing. TMF has not revised that page for a long time. Here is a post by me almost 4 years ago where I pointed out the boards shown on https://discussion.fool.com/ do not match their actual locations.

https://discussion.fool.com/boards-home-page-33075736.aspx

Thanks for pointing that out…well, they’re working on it now.

Jen

You have been going from board to board pasting the same response that “this” board is not closing. It is apparent that TMF did a horrible job of communicating with the members here and you are doing cleanup of their mess.

PSU

3 Likes

I expected to have to go around posting to all the boards no matter what communication happened because change is hard and people were going to be upset no matter what it said.

But yes, we weren’t expecting the banner to be on all boards…it was only supposed to be on certain folders and that did cause a bit of a mess. They fixed that but unfortunately, it necessitated a lot of posts from me this morning. Hopefully, now that the banner is only on the boards that are closing, people will be able to see which are staying open and which aren’t.

Jen

But yes, we weren’t expecting the banner to be on all boards…it was only supposed to be on certain folders and that did cause a bit of a mess.

That seems to be par for the course with the Fool IT staff. I’m not trying to bash them, but there sure does seem to be a significant communication disconnect between the programmers and management every time there is some significant changes to the boards.

–Peter

5 Likes