correction

well it looks like we are getting that long awaited correction.
I have cash available.
So the question is which Saul or NPI stocks to buy. And when.

The ones that have gone down the most?
The ones with the lowest P/E ?
The ones with the biggest conviction level even if they are already overweight?
An ETF or two to avoid having decide?
How far can this go without turning into a true bear (20%or more decline)? Can we have a true bear in tech without a general SP500 bear?

Since I react not predict, I am not selling anything at this time.

11 Likes

Im 15% cash. Thinking of putting it on HUBS given the thesis that it is gonna substantially beat on earnings and seeing the nice nutanix rally. After that I’m seeking balance across 10 stocks and ride it out.

1 Like

Not a correction, just a momentary loss of sanity because of political news. In any event, still a slight buying opportunity. Personally, I’m waiting for a bigger drop to add anything substantial (or the rollover of my 401K, whichever comes first). However I did add to SQ and NVDA (and PYPL) a teenie tiny bit. I added to stocks that I think have the biggest upside potential.

Peace,
Dana

5 Likes

Dana,
I agree, this is not a correction. Rather it’s a response to political events which have just cast a shadow over the administration (please, no commentary eruption, if you don’t know what I’m talking about read the news).

The only thing I’m not so sure about is how long it will take for things to blow over. I don’t think it’s “momentary.” The Watergate investigation took 18 months, Mueller has been on the job 7 months. This may be with us for the better part of a year. I’m pretty certain a lot more things are going to unravel before the get sorted out. That’s a lot of uncertainty. The market movers hate uncertainty and when it gets really bad, they tend to run for cover.

Ride it out? Buy gold as a defensive measure? Move into cash? I’m pretty much at a loss at present, but my inclination is to just sit tight and maybe rebalance along the way. I don’t think any sector is safe right now.

9 Likes

What do you call a correction? 1% 5% 10% 20%? Had some unfortunate news re MF. So what has changed in what Saul and others discuss? Dow was down some 350 points, now about 100 points. Sh*t happens. Shows how volatile things can get…and yet this board is all about picking the right stocks at hopefully the right time…thx so much Bull for FMI,brt 300 shares am, thought I had got in to late and shocked just now when I looked. Just not comfortable with options but very pleased for you and others…

Trimmed some LGIH this morning to raise cash.

Have a good weekend all…Don’t stress too much.

3 Likes

I’ve never been any good at predictions but have gotten better at seeing a “deal” when it comes to the companies I invest in. So I’ve been investing regularly in companies I like when I consider them “best buys” at the time. Now that I’m going to be retiring, I won’t have any big cash until I roll my 401K over so until then I have no choice but to sit tight or rebalance or go to cash. I rebalance though by adding usually. That will change in the future as I rebalance by selling. So at the moment I’m more or less sitting tight as going to cash is just something I fundamentally don’t do (time the market).

Peace,
Dana

1 Like

So the question is which Saul or NPI stocks to buy. And when.

o The ones that have gone down the most?
o The ones with the lowest P/E ?
o The ones with the biggest conviction level even if they are already overweight?
o An ETF or two to avoid having decide?
The ones you understand the best and like the most.

If you want a numbers-based, emotion-free list weaved with price chart considerations, I would buy any that fit the description for #5 above in the following order. When? when the chart of a company has bottomed and risen again by 1-2% at least, if you’re worried about a bear market.

If you want a “really safe” one, look at FB, a great company at a decent price relative to its growth and its competitors.

At the end are descriptions of the top 3, which IMO everyone “should” have. :slight_smile: Well, you asked.

Dan

ANET
SQ
ALGN
IPGP
ABMD
CGNX
FB
LRCX
TREE
GRUB
MKSI
MU
NVDA
OLED
PYPL
GOOGL
ORBK
PAYC
SHOP
BESIY
HDP
ISRG
ADBE
ATVI

Arista Networks, Inc. is a supplier of cloud networking solutions that use software innovations to address the needs of Internet companies, cloud service providers and data centers for enterprise support. It develops, markets and sells cloud networking solutions, which consist of its Gigabit Ethernet switches and related software. The Company’s cloud networking solutions consist of its Extensible Operating System (EOS), a set of network applications and its Ethernet switching and routing platforms. The programmability of EOS has allowed it to create a set of software applications that address the requirements of cloud networking, including workflow automation, network visibility and analytics, and has also allowed it to integrate with a range of third-party applications for virtualization, management, automation, orchestration and network services. EOS supports cloud and virtualization solutions, including VMware NSX, Microsoft System Center and other cloud management frameworks.

Align Technology, Inc. designs, manufactures and markets a system of clear aligner therapy, intra-oral scanners and computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM) digital services used in dentistry, orthodontics and dental records storage. The Company operates through two segments: Clear Aligner segment and Scanner and Services (Scanner) segment. The Clear Aligner segment consists of its Invisalign System, which includes Invisalign Full, Teen and Assist (Comprehensive Products), Express/Lite (Non-Comprehensive Products) and Vivera Retainers, along with its training and ancillary products for treating malocclusion (Non-Case). The Scanner segment consists of intra-oral scanning systems and other services available with the intra-oral scanners that provide digital alternatives to the traditional cast models. The Scanner segment includes its iTero scanner and OrthoCAD services.

Square, Inc. (Square) is a commerce ecosystem. The Company enables its sellers start, run and grow their businesses. It combines software with hardware to enable sellers to turn mobile devices and computing devices into payments and point-of-sale solutions. Once a seller downloads the Square Point of Sale mobile application, they can take their first payment. With its offering, a seller can accept payments in person via magnetic stripe (a swipe), Europay, MasterCard, and Visa (EMV) (a dip), or Near Field Communication (NFC) (a tap); or online via Square Invoices, Square Virtual Terminal, or the seller’s Website. Once on its system, sellers gain access to technology and features, such as reporting and analytics, next-day settlements, digital receipts, payment dispute management and chargeback protection, and Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance. On the consumer (buyer) side, Square Cash offers individuals access to a way to send and receive money.

10 Likes

I sometimes look at ALGN, great business, but decline to invest because it’s so expensive (which in hindsight has been a mistake). How do you reconcile the PE of 77 with annual revenue and earnings growth around 40%? Because it’s a near monopoly? Thanks.

How do you reconcile the PE of 77 with annual revenue and earnings growth around 40%? Because it’s a near monopoly? Thanks.

Here’s a great exercise. Take some of the most important numbers from their latest financial statements and extend them in columns for the next 1,2,3,4,5 and 10 years. Project the sales out at the 40% (or whatever you think is realistic) and slow down when you think the growth will slow. Project the other number you chose in the columns for the future years. You don’t have to be accurate, but you do need to be realistic.

You don’t have to be an accountant to quickly see ratios that are falling and ratios that are growing. That’s what you need to extend out. There are an unlimited number of variables that will affect the outcome, but you don’t need to know them all. You’re just looking to identify - and then extend and adapt - the TRENDS.

You will quickly find several things: 1) Nothing works without SALES. 2) When sales are growing, eventually profit had better grow nearly as much–the sooner the better. 3) Some companies will never work as an investment at their current share price, short of some miracle(s). 4) This ain’t rocket science. 5) If you don’t know accounting or financial statements, you soon will! 6) Everyone(!) is wrong sometimes. Everyone.

If the numbers work, plan your buying strategy; if not, cross it off your list or wait for a better price. Whatever you do, do not pitch your research! Keep it in a file buried on drive X forever.

Many investors, including from this board, perform similar experiments all the time. The reasons few are willing to share them include the fact that there are a lot of guesstimates that go into the model and there will be very little agreement over the details. Time spend arguing the details, while in rare cases crucial, are usually wasting everyone’s time. The final numbers (estimated sales, profit ratio and the P/E ratio the market would <“might”> assign) won’t match either, but if they’re in the realm of reality they will tell you your chances of being successful.

Your “Final Price” after x years, where you want to invest for x years, will fall into one of 3 broad categories.

1. Big Profit: You’re gold. Load up.
  2. Smaller Profit, closer to break even: It may work out, your assumptions better rock. Start slow, follow closely if you want to invest.
  3. Lost Money: Not with even with Raptor’s money.

Here’s the thing: That wide range? That’s the closest we ever get to “accuracy.” I say don’t spend time on the wee details, on making the numbers accurate, especially by including more numbers to input. Think about the TREND, its DIRECTION and its RATE OF CHANGE. If you get those right, and your numbers aren’t totally insane, you’re outcome is pretty highly likely to approximate your estimate. Most experts say the more numbers input into a model, the more chance it is wrong. I agree.

If that sounds too simple, guess what. It is. If it sounds like too much guesswork, guess what. It is. That’s why we’re discussing stocks, not bonds. That’s why there’s disagreement. That’s why investing experience is more valuable than a mathematics degree.

Hope that helps somehow. My apologies if you already know all this, or disagree. I get carried away.

Good hunting all,

Dan

51 Likes

I’ve never been any good at predictions but have gotten better at seeing a “deal” when it comes to the companies I invest in. So I’ve been investing regularly in companies I like when I consider them “best buys” at the time. Now that I’m going to be retiring, I won’t have any big cash until I roll my 401K over so until then I have no choice but to sit tight or rebalance or go to cash. I rebalance though by adding usually. That will change in the future as I rebalance by selling. So at the moment I’m more or less sitting tight as going to cash is just something I fundamentally don’t do (time the market).

Dana

Hi, Dana,

Been there, done that. One way to be fully invested but not make rash decisions is to take all funds without targets and buy sector ETF’s in the approximate proportions you would like to ideally end up with. When you identify a prospect and decide to buy now, sell enough of the ETF in its sector to buy the stock. Rinse, repeat. No hurry, no idle funds, no CEO caught with his hands on the treasurer’s leg under the table at the Christmas party.

It’s just one easy idea. (Note: Personally, I don’t think this is the worst time ever to have idle cash, but I could be wrong. I recently went several months with 40% of my funds in cash, way more than ever before. I allowed this because 1, I was busy and 2, stocks aren’t cheap right now.)

Good luck,

Dan

5 Likes

Thanks Dan! I think that’s a great idea. If I don’t do that, I’ll probably just spread everything across what I already have right away.

Peace,
Dana

1 Like

If that sounds too simple, guess what. It is. If it sounds like too much guesswork, guess what. It is. That’s why we’re discussing stocks, not bonds. That’s why there’s disagreement. That’s why investing experience is more valuable than a mathematics degree.

Dan

That’s one fantastic post! Everything about the future is guesswork, the future is unknowable. All one can do is to improve the odds which is what Dan’s method does.

I’ve gone a step further than Dan. I study the business model to see if it makes sense and the track record to see how it has performed. I study the financial statements mostly to find reasons not to invest like too much debt, or too much goodwill, or stock option abuse, or excessive growth of GS&A. If the stock passes those hurdles then the buying and selling is based on chart reading.

Denny Schlesinger

3 Likes

Here’s a great exercise. Take some of the most important numbers from their latest financial statements and extend them in columns for the next 1,2,3,4,5 and 10 years. Project the sales out at the 40% (or whatever you think is realistic)

Dan:

In my experience particularly watching the fundamental folks battle the technicians, each approach is subject to significant error rates and each uses a retrospective experience to justify a future prediction.

Your advice obviously fits more into the fundamental analysis and there is a HUGE risk of “confirmation bias”…in this case, putting in some guestimate of future growth rate for which you have no certainty…and thus trying to justify the stock price.

I posted earlier about the parallel of a very high P/S (in that case regarding SHOP) and the fact that sustained high P/S year after year were rare (FB being one example)…they do happen, but pretty infrequently over an extended period of time…so when uses the growth rate argument against a high P/S, one is using unusual occurrences to justify a high stock price. In fact, the same argument against that post used marching out growth rates over several years attempted to show that the P/S above 20 was “no big deal” and not beyond reasonableness because it would fall over the years…thus the confirmation bias.

It is VERY difficult for a tech company to sustain high growth rates year after year…very difficult. Earlier in their genesis, it is far easier working from a smaller customer base but as growth occurs, we are more likely to see declining growth rates. Most every DCF analysis assumes that as well.

So when you put in 40% growth rate, I think it is very fair to ask just how often a company can maintain that for multiple years into the future…to justify one’s perspective of what you are trying to project into the future…that is, surely there must be some benchmarking right?

Let’s look at that issue:

These were the 25 fastest growing tech companies in 2016 according to Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/briansolomon/2016/04/20/these-a…

Look how quickly the growth rates drop into the 20% range over just 3 years let alone 10 years…the 40%+ is rarified air indeed. I also would point out that a few of those companies were followed here and at least a couple had poor outcomes despite that growth rate.

This latter fact illustrates how these fastest growing companies are going to be brutally sold when they miss the next earning growth rate expectation…since their high stock price is being buoyed by the expected growth rate. So as you try to guess future growth rates to justify the high stock price, you may inadvertently be accepting a substantial haircut with any miss (SNCR come to mind?).

I also would caution that analysts have access to direct discussions with these companies and their estimates should be considered in your projections as well.

Here was another study on early startups (since that has been a high proportion of stocks invested here lately):

https://www.equidam.com/average-growth-rate-for-startups/

While just over a 3 year period, one can see how revenue growth rates fall pretty dramatically as the first 3 years progress…furthermore, this is in startups with the smallest initial base of customers.

So IMO, before one puts in some arbitrary growth rate into the future, it would best to understand the benchmark of all tech companies before (the best of the best, the flash in the pan, ,the mudders, etc.) and contemplate truly how realistic you are projecting.

Extremes of valuation are far easier to see…but that muddied middle can be very challenging and I would argue that your projections are more subject to “confirmation bias” particularly as you project out beyond 2-3 years.

At the NPI, over the years with countless upon countless of detailed discussions on this very issue from Tinker, Mauser, Denny, etc…we have tried to get at that growth rate projection issue through evaluations of TAM and SAM…they are the closest thing I have come upon to try to minimize confirmation bias and not just pull a growth rate out of the hat.

Best:
Duma

23 Likes

“If that sounds too simple, guess what. It is. If it sounds like too much guesswork, guess what. It is. That’s why we’re discussing stocks, not bonds. That’s why there’s disagreement. That’s why investing experience is more valuable than a mathematics degree.” Dan

Super post, Dan. A great reminder that a great deal of successful stock investing is instinctual… an art… a wisdom that Saul has learned.

Jim

1 Like

The other side of the value in doing such a model (as Dan suggests) is then in taking the next step: backing into the sales growth & profitability assumptions that would have to be made to justify the current stock price.

You come up with a rough model of how much the stock might be worth with those assumptions out 3-4 years. If current price is >1.5x your value estimate, then start bumping numbers up to find out what kind of crazy growth or PE or profitability assumptions are baked into the current price.

FC

4 Likes

Dana: Thanks Dan! I think that’s a great idea. If I don’t do that, I’ll probably just spread everything across what I already have right away.

Hi Dana, that’s also a very acceptable method IMO. After all, they were your favorites one would assume. If they still are (and it’s enough diversity to invest “everything” into) that’s completely legit. If you only have 3-5 stocks there, it wouldn’t allow for enough diversity, even for a “concentrated” investor. :blush:

Denny: That’s one fantastic post!
Wow, rare praise, dude. Thanks, Denny.

I’ve gone a step further than Dan …

Not exactly, Denny, but understandable that you would think so, since I didn’t want to get bogged down in full descriptions since this isn’t the place for it. I also do many of the things you mentioned and more. The part I really agree with is this: I study the financial statements mostly to find reasons not to invest like too much debt, or too much goodwill, or stock option abuse, or excessive growth of GS&A.

Amen. Everything I do is looking for red flags, not confirmation pro or con. I tend to lean to the con (pessimistic) side in order to not miss too many of those red flags should they exist. I’m not always successful but often enough to come out ahead most of the time. I’ve never found a company yet for which I couldn’t find any detractions. For example, one of my favorite companies (not necessarily stocks) has been SHOP. The biggest red flag for me has always been price and I have tried to say so in every discussion to the point where people probably got sick of hearing it.

Duma: In my experience particularly watching the fundamental folks battle the technicians, each approach is subject to significant error rates and each uses a retrospective experience to justify a future prediction.

Heck yes, that’s my whole point. Unless your name is Merlin or Sara Soothsayer, trying for accuracy is a fool’s errand. But we must have somewhere to start, right?

Your advice obviously fits more into the fundamental analysis and there is a HUGE risk of “confirmation bias”…in this case, putting in some guestimate of future growth rate for which you have no certainty…and thus trying to justify the stock price.

You’re assuming a lot, but for most investors, I might agree. Believe it or not, I completely ignore price when I study a company, to the extent possible. The bias direction is crucial of course, and I would like to think that my bias is generally toward the “con” or “skeptical” side of any argument. This has often led me to miss out on good investments. But my reason for maintaining this method is “Better to miss a good company than “get in on” a bad one.”

It is VERY difficult for a tech company to sustain high growth rates year after year…very difficult.

I agree 100%. My example of 40% : 1) was taken from the poster’s narrative, 2) may be unrealistic, and 3) if felt to be realistic, should not be allowed to run unchecked for more than 1 year – or column – in a model of ANY company. This is part of the requirement to be realistic, which is of course very subjective. A typical newer, high-tech high-flyer I might estimate sales growth as follows, just for a theoretical example:

Y1 50%
Y2 47%
Y3 42%
Y4 37%
Y5 34%
… Y10 34%

FlyingCircus: The other side of the value in doing such a model (as Dan suggests) is then in taking the next step: backing into the sales growth & profitability assumptions that would have to be made to justify the current stock price.

Sure. If all questions aren’t answered, that would be a logical step. However < :blush: > I would point out that this exercise needs to be done with much caution, as it is the epitome of just begging the user to be guilty of Confirmation Bias. On the other hand, it could tell the researcher using it whether or not the scenario is even possible. Note: Once the exercise is set up (save it as a template to use over and over!) it is a simple thing to plug in real-time numbers to see where the calculations fall.

This stuff is really general in scope. Regarless, “my” methods aren’t for everybody. No one’s are. But for board members asking, “What should I buy and when should I buy them?”, and always followed by, “Why?”) I think it’s a great place to start. A couple of months of doing that and all of a sudden you might hear something like, “Huh. So that’s how increasing inventories affects the Balance Sheet and the Income Statement.” When you hear yourself telling yourself something similar, guess what. You’re learning a valuable lesson and understanding an important part of investing.

Now some are still wondering …

“What does He* Want Out of This?” *He being anyone sharing

Recognition? "Rec"s? Notoriety? Fame? Book Deal? Monetary Gain?

Answers: No, No, No, No, No, Probably.

• Personally rewarding
• Better fellow investors to discuss stocks with
• Become a better investor
• Discover erroneous thinking and practice
• Improve our research methods for better results
• New ideas re: methods and things to look for
• New Investing ideas/candidates
• Discover flaws in analysis
• Higher Returns

Sharing, teaching and learning are why we’re here. So in the bottom line, yes, it’s self-serving, but it could benefit numerous (all?) investors here and if done properly (using discussion vs. arguing, suggestions vs. accusations, generosity vs. greed—like we insist upon here) everyone wins. Just as importantly - more? - no one is hurt.

Just because the world isn’t perfect, does not mean we have to work in the center of a battlefield. And if anyone here is successful, does that mean his/her success detracts from someone else’s? Not in the least. But why should they want to help us? Because maybe we helped them. Maybe because we try (I, in particular, am not always successful) to check our egos at the door, and do that which helps everyone the most, ourselves included: Listen, Teach, Learn, Enjoy.

Listen, Teach, Learn, Enjoy.

How?

Step 1: Laugh at yourself.
Step 2: (nope … everyone must master step 1 first)

Why?

Life is simply too damn short for anything else.

Dan

27 Likes

Dan, really enjoy your posts.
Thx.

1 Like

Wow, rare praise, dude. Thanks, Denny.

Well deserved because you addressed one of the grave failings of investing. Take a perfectly valid concept like “The value of a company is its discounted cash flow*” and try to apply it in practice. It’s not possible because all the inputs to the formula are guesses. A guess with seven decimals is no better than one with no decimals. Doing the calculation is not the problem, believing that you are on solid ground is! But people like the feeling of control and security. It’s your instincts getting you into trouble! Another favorite of mine is intrinsic value, we all know what it means but no one can calculate it. Several years ago I had a long discussion with another Fool (who is no longer with us) about it. He referenced Graham and Dodd, the authors of the bible on Security Analysis, a lot. I decided to find out what they had to say about intrinsic value. I had already read the book a couple of times but I gave it anther reading looking specifically for intrinsic value. I didn’t find the magic formula. What I found was that over time, with new editions, they changed their views. Initially only bonds were investments, stocks were speculation and Ben Graham blamed Edgar Lawrence Smith for the 1929 crash because he wrote a book showing that the conventional wisdom was wrong. That’s not what he set out to do but that’s where the data led him. The conventional wisdom in 1924 was that bonds outperformed stocks. Smith proved otherwise and published the results in Common Stocks as Long Term Investments. This book, according to Graham, was the root cause of the stock buying euphoria. Later editions of Security Analysis most certainly treat stocks as investments. Evolution happens!

Sorry for the long detour but there is no formula for calculating intrinsic value in Graham and Dodd, what you find is an evolving view of what contributes to intrinsic value.

Today’s Thoughts from the Frontline by John Mauldin has a great quote:

Earnings don’t move the overall market; it’s the Federal Reserve Board…. Focus on the central banks and focus on the movement of liquidity…. Most people in the market are looking for earnings and conventional measures. It’s liquidity that moves markets.

– Stan Druckenmiller (hat tip Steve Blumenthal)

http://www.mauldineconomics.com/frontlinethoughts/renovating…

It’s buyers and sellers, supply and demand, that sets the price!

My point is that following the herd, doing what everyone else is doing, is not going to give you superior results. Not that it’s easy to find the better way, one is competing with some of the finest minds on the planet. But one needs to try or to go with indexing.

Denny Schlesinger

• A litte bit of nit picking, some people say “all future cash flows” which is not wrong but redundant. Discounting is bringing the future back to the present.

What is ‘Discounting’
Discounting is the process of determining the present value of a payment or a stream of payments that is to be received in the future. Given the time value of money, a dollar is worth more today than it would be worth tomorrow. Discounting is the primary factor used in pricing a stream of tomorrow’s cash flows.

Investopedia
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/discounting.asp

My 2006 book review of Common Stocks as Long Term Investments at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/review/R28GDOIRZ69JMQ/ref=cm_cr_srp_d…

8 Likes

“What does He* Want Out of This?” *He being anyone sharing

Sharing, teaching and learning are why we’re here. So in the bottom line, yes, it’s self-serving…

I enjoy teaching. Why? Because it’s fun. I find two great (self-serving?) benefits at good discussion groups, specially written ones. For one, one gets to pick up good ideas and stock ideas but a much better reason is that by writing down one’s arguments one gets to examine whether they make sense or not. On more than one occasion I have had to change my opinion after writing, editing, and NOT POSTING an argument that I found to be wrong.

The chance to change your mind is a great reason for not using the “Submit Message” button but the “Preview Message” button instead. You get to correct typos but more important, you get to review your thinking.

Self-serving? I believe all progress is achieved by people trying to improve themselves. :wink:

Denny Schlesinger

20 Likes

Hi Denny,
I would agree with you, but would go even further by explaining why I post here (not that I add any great value but…)

It comes down to three main reasons…

1. yes, I think I know a bit about investing and want to share what I do know, but that is probably third of three…

2. I enjoy the challenge of investing and therefore I like to read about it, discuss /debate the various aspects, benefits and challenges, and see what others think, including their responses to my opinions. Both entertaining and educational and hopefully financially rewarding!

3. I learn a ton. Not only from Saul and the knowledge base and others, but also from posting. I learned a long time ago that if you really want to understand a subject, try to teach it. By writing out my thoughts I get clarity to my own beliefs. Sometimes I have started to write a post and found out about half way through that what I was writing was flawed. Or maybe there were subtleties that I knew but really wasn’t paying attention to. If you want to really understand a story, try writing a logical, unemotional post about why it is a good buy today. Not 2 years ago, but today. If you’ve never done it, it is really quite eye opening. All of a sudden you have to think through the downsides and not just ignore them. Usually I come away from the experience understanding why the present price is where it is. I may still like the company and want to own it, but I also know where the risks are…

And then when I am done I read the responses. Not with an eye to see if they agree or to prove them wrong when they don’t, but instead to understand their perspective and see what you may be missing. There is usually something to learn from the responses as well.

And therein lies the beauty of the boards. Everyone wins, everyone gains, and we have fun along the way. I know I do.

Randy
Long time investor who still believes he has a lot to learn…

25 Likes