Covered call funds

Why Investors Are Piling into Funds That Promise Not to Beat the Stock Market

After great returns last year, covered-call funds are all the rage among income-oriented investors. But their high yields aren’t a free lunch.

By Jason Zweig, The Wall Street Journal, Feb. 10, 2023

Exchange-traded funds are generating eye-popping yields by selling options contracts. These ETFs, known as covered-call or option-income funds, also shielded investors from some of the pounding that stocks took last year. …

Covered-call funds squeeze ample amounts of cash out of stocks, and they provide limited protection against losses if stocks drop. In exchange, they preclude you from capturing all of the stock market’s gains…

They tend to do best in what financial professionals call “sideways markets,” when stocks don’t move up or down in big sustained swoops. In bull markets, these funds will trail conventional funds. When stocks fall, covered-call funds generally go down less than traditional portfolios…[end quote]

@captainccs has described how he lives off the premiums from his covered calls. These funds are managed to do the same.

In 2023, covered call funds are lagging the broader market. In 2022, covered call funds lost value (since they hold stocks to cover the calls) but less than the broader market because the premiums from the calls offset the losses from the stocks.

The funds mentioned in the article are Global X S&P 500 Covered Call, JPMorgan Equity Premium Income ETF and Global X Nasdaq 100 Covered Call ETF.

Looking at the Macroeconomics, what is the stock market likely to do in 2023?

If a recession occurs the market is likely to fall. In that case, a covered call fund won’t make money. With interest rates > 4% there’s no need to take that risk. If the market moves sideways a covered call fund might be a possible choice.

If the Fed engineers a soft landing a long stock fund would probably rise faster than a covered call fund.

Wendy

1 Like

Literally 3 minutes ago, I thought to myself “hey, Wendy hasn’t posted in a while, I hope all is well” and then I clicked on your name to see last post, and it said “just now”!!!

I haven’t studied the details, but in theory options end up being valued differently in a 4% rate environment than in a 0% rate environment.

1 Like

Thanks for noticing, @MarkR . I have been well, thanks. Busy with estate planning and not seeing any important Macroeconomic articles.

Wendy

1 Like

Interesting read here, I bought some QYLD at the end of summer and it has paid a nice dividend every month so far…doc

1 Like

Long call/put options increase/decrease in price with increasing interest rates, all else equal.

Why?

• With long call/put options, the buyer is effectively borrowing the funds to buy some long/short exposure to the underlying and there is an implied interest rate in the option price that reflects the cost of funds to finance this long/short exposure.
  • For a long call, the economics, in effect, are that funds are borrowed to buy shares that provide the long exposure. Higher interest rates increase the borrowing cost.
  • For a long put, the economics, in effect, are that funds are borrowed to short shares that provide the short exposure. For the short, shares are borrowed at some cost (with collateral posted to the stock lender), sold, and the cash proceeds from the stock sale can earn interest. Higher interest rates provide a higher return on the cash proceeds from the stock sale and hence reduce the cost to finance the short exposure. Also, for the collateral posted for the stock borrow, and if the collateral is cash or a bond, this collateral will earn higher interest when rates are higher, also offsetting the cost to borrow shares.
2 Likes

I’m going to go on record that all of those covered-call ETFs are dangerous to your wealth.

You give up massive upside gains in exchange for miniscule downside protection.

In what universe does this make financial sense? Why are these things even legal?

3 Likes

You raise an excellent point. My thoughts are that if the ETF is trending down, the dividend may not be worth it so sell the ETF. I did that with GLO. The dividends are good, but the price of the ETF dropped from above $7 to below $5 while paying a dividend over 10%. QYLD on the other hand has been drifting up from the low $16 to the high $16 range all while paying a monthly dividend over 10%. For me its worth it…doc

They tend to do best in what financial professionals call “sideways markets,” when stocks don’t move up or down in big sustained swoops. In bull markets, these funds will trail conventional funds. When stocks fall, covered-call funds generally go down less than traditional portfolios…[end quote]

2 Likes

@physician

What is the tax treatment of these dividends? Does your 1099-DIV report them as “qualified dividends” which are taxed lower than ordinary non-qualified dividends? Please look at Box 2.

This article was written in 2022. Like all snapshots, it doesn’t predict future results.

Wendy

1 Like

Thanks Wendy for this informative article on QYLD…doc

This is the literal definition of selling calls against stock that you own.

It only makes sense in a moderately sideways market.

I would never buy one of these things because markets, over time, trend up … almost all the time.

I’m not sure what you mean by this? Should it only be legal to sell calls if you don’t own the stock?

Just to clarify: there is an annual “dividend [that amounts to] over 10%” that is paid monthly v. a monthly dividend over 10%.

Pete

2 Likes

Thanks for the correction. I wish it was 10% a month…doc

Sounds like hyperinflation…

DB2

No you don’t!!! That’s almost always a sign of imminent failure followed by bankruptcy.

3 Likes

Yes. Or a significant dividend cut.

Please don’t ask me how I know this.

–Peter

1 Like