COVID no longer a concern of cruise lines

Of course, base on experience, unless you have acquired immunity to the specific variant de jour by recently being infected, you have a dramatic likelihood of acquiring COVID if you take a cruise under current (lack of) rules. I guess this is a case of companies who have decided to survive - even if their business model puts their clients at risk of their health.

Jeff

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/Cruise/articles/Norwegian…

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings (NCLH) on Monday announced some significant changes to its pre-cruise COVID-19 protocols, including testing and vacation requirements.
Starting on Sept. 3, vaccinated guests age 12 years and older will no longer have any pre-cruise protocols prior to sailing onboard any of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings’ (NCLH) three brands (NCL, Oceania Cruises, and Regent Seven Seas).
Unvaccinated guests 12 and older, or those who cannot provide proof of vaccination, will be required to take a PCR or Antigen test taken no more than 72 hours prior to boarding.
Guests 11 and under will now not be forced to either show proof of vaccination or test prior to their sailing.

The changes are for all sailings and all lengths of cruises except for Canada, Bermuda, and Greece itineraries, along with others that have local regulations guests must abide by.

“Our long-awaited revisions to our testing and vaccination requirements bring us closer in line with the rest of society, which has learned to adapt and live with COVID-19, and makes it simpler and easier for our loyal guests to cruise on our three best-in-class brands. Health and safety is our top priority and we will continue to modify our robust SailSAFE program as the public health environment evolves,” said Frank Del Rio, President and Chief Executive Officer of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd.

“The relaxation of protocols coupled with continued easing of travel restrictions and the reopening to cruise in more ports around the globe are meaningfully positive for our business as it reduces friction, expands the addressable cruise market, brings variety to itineraries, and provides additional catalysts on the road to recovery.”

NCLH was one the first cruise companies to drop COVID-19 requirements where it could—in early July it announced it would stop requiring pre-cruise COVID-19 testing unless required by local regulations. However, that change didn’t affect U.S.-based cruise itineraries or cruises in Canada, Greece, and Bermuda.

4 Likes

How cheap does a cruise have to get before you’re willing to chance a COVID infection?

There are 7-day Alaskan Cruises on Princess Cruise lines for $339 per person. I wonder if they’re filling the ship at that price?

https://www.vacationstogo.com/ticker.cfm?t=y

intercst

1 Like

$50 to $60/night is about the best you can do per person for an inside cabin on a cruise. You still get access to the food and entertainment. Cabins with windows or balconies cost more and are more comfortable. On a budget, its a good deal.

I hear those who live near by and can go at the last minute can get on waiting lists for next available space. Those can be the best deal around. And frequent travelers can get perks.

Reading a more granular version is even more interesting. It seems the US national policy is among the laxest in the world - which probably accounts for our having the highest death rate per 100K of population:

EMBARKATION REQUIREMENTS – VACCINATION & SAFETY For All Voyages Departing On or After September 3, 2022:

The line’s revised SailSafe base-level protocols for embarkation are as follows: • Fully Vaccinated travelers aged 12 and older will not need to test to embark. • Un-vaccinated travelers will need to present a negative, medically administered covid-19 test. Antigen and PCR test results may not be more than 72 hours old at the time of boarding. • Travelers aged 11 and under are not subject to vaccination requirements or testing protocols • Fully Vaccinated travelers must meet the generally-accepted definition of “fully vaccinated” based on the destination they are embarking and/or traveling to and must provide proof of vaccination. Travelers who cannot provide proof of vaccination will be able to travel but subject to any required testing protocols. For Voyages Embarking from the United States: •

Fully Vaccinated travelers aged 12 and older will not need to test to embark. • Un-vaccinated travelers will need to present a negative, medically administered covid-19 test. Antigen and PCR test results may not be more than 72 hours old at the time of boarding. • Travelers aged 11 and under are not subject to vaccination requirements or testing protocols. • Boosters are not required to qualify as Fully Vaccinated. For Voyages Embarking from Canada: • Fully Vaccinated and Un-vaccinated travelers aged 5 and older, must present a negative, medically administered covid-19 test. Antigen test results may not be older than 48 hours at the time of boarding and PCR test results may not be more than 72 hours old at the time of boarding. • Guests under age 5 are not subject to vaccination or testing protocols. •

Boosters are not required to qualify as Fully Vaccinated.

For Voyages Calling in Bermuda:
• All travelers aged 12 and older must be Fully Vaccinated • All travelers aged 11 and under must be Fully Vaccinated • For voyages that arrive in Bermuda within four (4) days of embarkation, all travelers must present a negative, medically administered covid-19 test. Antigen test results may not be older than 48 hours at the time of boarding and PCR test results may not be more than 96 hours old at the time of boarding. • For voyages that arrive in Bermuda more than four (4) days after embarkation, all travelers must present a negative, medically administered covid-19 test prior to embarkation and undergo additional testing onboard, prior to arrival. For embarkation, Antigen test results may not be older than 48 hours at the time of boarding and PCR test results may not be more than 96 hours old at the time of boarding. Onboard testing will be conducted onboard within two (2) days of arrival in Bermuda. For

Voyages Embarking From Greece:
• All travelers must be Fully Vaccinated. • The definition of Fully Vaccinated for voyages embarking in Greece is as follows: All travelers over the age of 18, whose primary COVID-19 vaccination will be beyond 270 days at the time of disembarkation from their voyage, must have a COVID-19 booster prior to embarkation. In lieu of a booster 270 days after the primary series, travelers may present a government recognized or official medical Certificate of Recovery. • All travelers must present a negative, medically administered covid-19 test. PCR and Antigen test results may not be older than 48 hours at the time of boarding. • Booster mandates are in effect and strictly enforced – see above. For Voyages

Calling in Greece but embarking elsewhere: • All travelers must be Fully Vaccinated. • The definition of Fully Vaccinated for voyages calling in Greece is as follows: All travelers over the age of 18, whose primary COVID-19 vaccination will be beyond 270 days at the time of disembarkation from their voyage, must have a COVID-19 booster prior to embarkation. In lieu of a booster 270 days after the primary series, travelers may present a government recognized or official medical Certificate of Recovery. For

Voyages Embarking From European Union Ports and Turkey (Excludes Greece):
• Fully Vaccinated travelers embarking from ports within the European Union and Turkey who meet the European Union definition of Fully Vaccinated aged 12 and older will not need to test to embark.

Boosters are required to qualify as Fully Vaccinated. • Un-vaccinated travelers and those not meeting the European Union definition of Fully Vaccinated will need to present a negative, medically administered covid-19 test. Antigen and PCR test results may not be more than 72 hours old at the time of boarding. • Travelers aged 11 and under are not subject to vaccination requirements or testing protocols. • An official Covid-19 recovery certificate may suffice in lieu of a booster. Details below.

For Voyages Embarking from the United Kingdom or Ireland:
• Fully Vaccinated travelers aged 12 and older will not need to test to embark. • Un-vaccinated travelers will need to present a negative, medically administered covid-19 test. Antigen and PCR test results may not be more than 72 hours old at the time of boarding. • Travelers aged 11 and under are not subject to vaccination requirements or testing protocols. • The U.S. and Canada definition of Fully

Vaccinated will apply - boosters are not required to qualify as Fully Vaccinated. The above summaries are applicable to all currently scheduled voyages departures from September 2, 2022 through October 31, 2022. Further guidance for departures outside this range and for destinations not listed above will be made available in the near future.

United States’ and Canada’s definition of fully vaccinated means to have completed the full brand vaccination protocol at least 15 days prior to embarkation. Therefore, two administered doses/shots of AstraZeneca, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Sinopharm or Sinovac, etc; or a single shot of a single dose vaccination + 15 days equals fully vaccinated. A single shot of a dual dose vaccine or antibodies from Covid-19 recovery is NOT considered being fully vaccinated.

The European Union’s definition of fully vaccinated: A passenger or crew member who carries a proof of vaccination, and at least 14 days and no more than 270 days have passed since the last dose of the primary vaccination series or if the person has received a third dose. Any guest whose primary COVID-19 vaccination will be beyond 270 days at the time of disembarkation from their voyage must have a supplemental COVID-19 vaccination or “booster” OR a valid, digital Covid-19 recovery certificate that is not more than 180 days old from the first positive test result.

2 Likes

Reading a more granular version is even more interesting. It seems the US national policy is among the laxest in the world

That makes me feel better about an Alaskan cruise. Since they all have to stop in at least one Canadian port to comply with the Passenger Vessel Services Act, presumably Canadian rules apply.

Would it still count as a foreign port stop if Canadian public health officials wrapped yellow crime scene tape around the vessel and never let them drop the gang plank?

intercst

1 Like

Speaking of the devil, I finally got Covid last week, and I tested positive on Thursday, Friday, Sunday and today.

I do not know how I got the infection. I always were a N95 mask inside stores. The only place I can think is my dentist office on Monday of last week where he fixed a couple of cavities. I had my mouth open for more than 40 minutes.

It is not fun getting the infection. It feels like a case of really bad cold for me. Splitting headache, sinus ache, small fever, runny nose, sore throat and now some coughing. However, it is finally getting better today. My wife has not been infected so far. We have been isolating since my first positive test.

This will explain why I have been posting so much on this board.

Jaak

1 Like

Get well soon. Sounds like you are not seriously ill. Thank goodness.

Get well soon Jaak

Jeff

Speaking of the devil, I finally got Covid last week, and I tested positive on Thursday, Friday, Sunday and today.

I do not know how I got the infection. I always were a N95 mask inside stores. The only place I can think is my dentist office on Monday of last week where he fixed a couple of cavities. I had my mouth open for more than 40 minutes.

It is not fun getting the infection. It feels like a case of really bad cold for me. Splitting headache, sinus ache, small fever, runny nose, sore throat and now some coughing. However, it is finally getting better today. My wife has not been infected so far. We have been isolating since my first positive test.

This will explain why I have been posting so much on this board.

Jaak

Several at work and elsewhere around me have gotten sick. My manager and her entire family was sick. Her husband was exhausted but kept testing negative, then she got sick and tested positive and finally he tested positive as well. The kids got sick as well. I think she was out a couple of weeks.

A friend of mine said his was like a bad cold except the worst cough he ever had. He was mostly sick 3-4 days.

A couple of times I thought I might have had it but tested negative and recovered so quickly I’m not sure if I ever had it.

Get Well.

A couple of times I thought I might have had it but tested negative and recovered so quickly I’m not sure if I ever had it.

Two points based on personal anecdotal evidence:

1. “Quick” (antigen) tests frequently give false negatives. PCR tests are far more accurate

2. The only sure way to see if you’ve had COVID is to take the appropriate (there are different tests for whether you have antibodies from an infection or a vaccination) blood antibody test. Nowadays, they may (or may not) tell you what variant(s) generated them. When I took my last one in January, I had had a virtually asymptomatic infection and my wife had not had a previous infection. We’re planning to get them again when she gets a PCR test required for a colonoscopy in a couple of weeks.

Jeff

1 Like
  1. “Quick” (antigen) tests frequently give false negatives. PCR tests are far more accurate

============================================

But “Quick” (antigen) test at home do not give false positives.

Jaak

1 Like