Covid rising in Europe, U.S. to follow

Since 2020, Covid infections have followed a regular pattern.

1. Cases rise in Europe.
  2. Cases rise in the U.S. during the summer, reaching a peak in August and then declining to a low point in September - October.
  3. Cases begin to rise after Halloween, reaching a peak in January after the winter holidays when people are traveling and visiting indoors.

The flu, which usually kills about 20,000 - 50,000 people per year, has been quiescent for the past two years since people were following precautions to prevent catching Covid, which is more contagious (and more deadly) than flu. But many people are no longer using anti-contagion precautions.

Another wave of COVID-19 infections may have begun in Europe as cases begin to tick up across the region, the World Health Organization and European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) said on 10/12/2022 (yesterday).

It’s likely that the U.S. will follow the pattern of the past two years and begin a new Covid spike in a few weeks.

DH and I are going for our “over 65” flu and Covid shots this afternoon. Immunity takes a couple of weeks to develop and lasts about 4 months which should carry us through February 2023.

Wendy

5 Likes

Wendy…we were last week. We split them as we couldn’t get an appointment time for the Covid when we wanted to grab our flu shots while the grabbing was good.

We could’ve waited because, for the second winter in a row, the supply of the industrial strength flu shots for us Real Grown Ups is more than keeping up with demand…and not just for the increased deliveries etc. Yes those folk who normally don’t bother with their flu shot because…(insert whatever excuses you’ve heard) are returning to old habits after the sudden but temporary increase in 2020 (yes, I asked the pharmacist)

I don’t know about you but it actually took me 3 goes to get my flu shot back then as supplies were flying off the shelves so rapidly.

2 Likes