COVID: White Death Rate Exceeds Minorities

COVID Death Rate for White Americans Now Exceeds Others
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/09/briefing/covid-race-death…

One of the defining characteristics of the pandemic’s early stages was its disproportionate toll on Black and Latino Americans.

During Covid’s early months in the U.S., the per capita death rate for Black Americans was almost twice as high as the white rate and more than twice as high as the Asian rate. The Latino death rate was in between, substantially lower than the Black rate but still above average.

But these large racial gaps in vaccination have not continued — and as a result, neither have the gaps in Covid death rates.

Instead, Covid’s racial gaps have narrowed and, more recently, even flipped. Over the past year, the Covid death rate for white Americans has been 14 percent higher than the rate for Black Americans and 72 percent higher than the Latino rate, according to the latest C.D.C. data.

This is an astonishing result, but proves out my long-held, 30-year long investment thesis on the US drug industry. White people generally get much better health care than blacks and Hispanics. If Whites are now dying from COVID at a higher rate, its because an unfathomable level of racism, ignorance and innumeracy has taken hold of them.

I don’t invest in Pharma because of the R&D. The US drug industry has shown a phenomenal ability to buy off a sufficient number of Congressmen and Senators to protect itself from any semblance of price competition. And a large portion of the American public is fine with paying twice as much money for an inferior health care system as long blacks and Hispanics suffer more.

This unfortunate part of our culture is now killing Whites at an accelerated rate as anti-science, vaccine skepticism is becoming a badge of honor and the entry ticket to tribal membership.

No one ever lost money betting on the racism, ignorance and innumeracy of the American people.

intercst

15 Likes

Frighteningly fascinating, utterly ugly, and feeding and justifying some of my worst prejudices. This ain’t Darwin folks (“Nature long in tooth and claw”) but rather the parallel but the quite different cultural determinism explored by Spengler and here in the USA by Huntington (one of my Harvard professors) and, ironically, both Pat Buchanan, and most specifically Mel Bradford

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Bradford

e.g. (writing in 1990) “culture of families, linked by friendship, common enemies, and common projects, so a good conservative keeps a clear sense of what Southern grandmothers have always meant in admonishing children, ‘we don’t do that’”.

There is the big bingo!

david fb

5 Likes

The US drug industry has shown a phenomenal ability to buy off a sufficient number of Congressmen and Senators to protect itself from any semblance of price competition.

I thought this was the whole premise for investing in pharma…

2 Likes

"No one ever lost money betting on the racism, ignorance and innumeracy of the American people.

intercst "

Course, there is no impact from obesity, history of smoking, food choices, age or other
aspects of an individual’s life and health.

Howie52
Choosing to identify non-health aspects for impacts on health issues basically ignores
the real health problems.
But political views do not care to solve real-life problems people face.

4 Likes