Credit card fees will rise

https://www.wsj.com/articles/visa-mastercard-prepare-to-rais…

**Visa, Mastercard Prepare to Raise Credit-Card Fees**
**The increases, delayed during the pandemic, mean many merchants will pay more when shoppers use credit cards**
**by AnnaMaria Andriottis, The Wall Street Journal, 3/8/2022**

**Visa Inc. and Mastercard Inc. are preparing to increase the fees that many large merchants pay when they accept consumers’ credit cards.**

**The fee increases — delayed during the past two years because of the pandemic — are scheduled to kick in next month...Merchants pay these fees, which are set by the card networks, when shoppers use their cards. The fees go to the bank that issued the card....** [end quote]

Darn! It didn’t occur to me that I could have asked for a cash discount when I ordered my husband’s new recliner recently and paid with a credit card.

Wendy

It didn’t occur to me that I could have asked for a cash discount when I ordered my husband’s new recliner recently and paid with a credit card.

It took my MIL one year to receive the recliner she ordered. I could consider paying cash for items I can carry with me that day but on anything ordered, it would be easier to get a credit card reimbursed than trying to get cash back if something goes wrong with the order.

PSU

7 Likes

I have a wonderful Chinese restaurant near me that will give you a 10% discount if you pay cash.

Many gas stations, now, offer two prices for gas, credit or cash.

I think overall the raising of fees will bite the major CC companies.

“Many gas stations, now, offer two prices for gas, credit or cash.”

I used to see that but haven’t seen it in years in Texas. Not seeing it in NC either.
Of course, I also remember that offering full-service was a higher price too.

I thought some jurisdictions made it illegal to offer 2 prices for the same thing?

Or maybe the CC companies wouldn’t allow it for their clients?

Cash is the lifeblood for small businesses - not traceable so room to adjust sales receipts as needed…

US government doesn’t like untraceable transactions (unless it’s undocumented immigrant hiring where e-verify is basically unused for that purpose).

I used to see that but haven’t seen it in years in Texas. Not seeing it in NC either.

It was either SC or GA where gas stations had cash/credit pricing. It’s been a few years since I’ve driven through those states to FL.

PSU

“Many gas stations, now, offer two prices for gas, credit or cash.”

Of course, I also remember that offering full-service was a higher price too.

==================================================================

We have seen it for over 20 years at some gas stations in California. I would estimate at about 5% of the gas stations. Handling all that cash also costs money to the gas stations.

I suspect all this gasoline bonanza for the oil companies will cause more people to buy smaller cars and EVs.

Jaak

Alt Links will take market share as they come into being because of the trade off in costs and security.

It was either SC or GA where gas stations had cash/credit pricing. It’s been a few years since I’ve driven through those states to FL.

It was common at gas stations to charge a premium for credit in the 80s. The practice faded out in the 90s, then returned in 2008. I haven’t gassed up since mid February, do don’t know if they have reverted to charging extra.

The card I use for gas pays a 3% cash rebate on gas, so that makes the math a lot harder.

Steve