Crowdstrike

On July 31 SSI posted a detailed review of some of developments reported by Crowdstrike. In his post he also makes extensive comparisons between NET and FSLY identifying differences and advantages in each of the key areas that NET has published and which are referenced immediately below.

Some of the announcements included:
Reduced cold start times by pre-warming Isolates during the TLS negotiation
Gradual support for extended worker run times, up to 15 minutes
Published lower costs for typical workloads as compared to cloud vendors
Added support for 5 more development languages
Rolled out a comprehensive security monitoring plan
Enhanced developer tooling, ease of use and speed of code updates
Highlighted their favorable posture to address future data localization requirements

Overall, I think these announcements raised the bar for Cloudflare’s distributed edge compute solution. As part of my analysis, I examined how these announcements compare to similar capabilities in Fastly’s Compute@Edge offering (based on what we know so far).

The full article can be found on the SSI site - link below.

https://softwarestackinvesting.com/

9 Likes

Excellent article! This one snippet really piqued my interest in NET:

"Cloudflare announced some pretty significant cost savings for running workloads on Workers Unbound, relative to serverless solutions provided by the large cloud vendors. The Cloudflare team conducted experiments in which they ran a sample workload on AWS, Azure and GCP serverless products and then examined their bill. They compared this to what Workers Unbound would cost for the same workload. The savings are detailed below:

75% less expensive than AWS Lambda@Edge
24% less expensive than Microsoft Azure Functions
52% less expensive than Google Cloud Functions

Also, Cloudflare customers are not charged for adjacent usage fees like DNS requests or API Gateway(AWS specific)."

4 Likes

"Cloudflare announced some pretty significant cost savings for running workloads on Workers Unbound, relative to serverless solutions provided by the large cloud vendors…

Missing in all this is the actual capabilities of the different serverless platforms. Amazon has arguable the most complete service offerings, which can matter to developers.

This 18 month old article: https://davidmytton.blog/who-has-the-best-serverless-platfor… , is pretty readable, and has examples of how different use cases are better served by some providers over others. It’s rare these days that a function you need should be written completely on its own, without any support libraries or capabilities.

If I were evaluating where to host my serverless use cases, I’d start by eliminating the ones that didn’t have the services (databases, security, identity management, etc.) that my use case needed. It wouldn’t matter than one was the cheapest if it was too hard to do what I needed to get done.

4 Likes

I’m not sure how this relates to Crowdstrike?

4 Likes