DB Bob's Bottom 9 Holdings: #9 (BOOM)

Does having premium locations of stores make a brand premium? Or does the price they can charge for their product make them a premium brand?

I consider premium brands those well known and prestigious. The brands that people easily recognize for its especial quality or design, so they want to buy their products and show others they are wearing or using them.
As the brand is gaining prestige they are able to charge more price for their products.
Premium locations help the brand to be recognized and eventually to gain prestige.
Now SKX is slowly gaining brand recognition in Europe.
Hope that helps!
Maria

3 Likes

My wife keeps telling me to buy stock in Zara, but I think it’s not on any US market, right?

Zara belongs to INDITEX Group (Industria de Diseño Textil, SA) and the ticker is ITX but I think it is only traded in Madrid (Ibex 35) and Mexico?

Thanks Maria, that does help. If you could answer a few more question for me. So in Europe are you seeing people actually buying Skx because they like the looks? Are all age groups and genders liking them?

In the U.S it seems that Skx are liked more by older people and that parents are buying them for the younger kids. But I do not think teenagers and 20 to 30 somethings care so much for them.

Andy

Andy,

I think teenagers ignore SKX, but for women it’s an American brand and it’s cool, definitely not a cheap brand in Euros.

IMO SKX it’s in early adopters fase. As an example, almost nobody knows LULU yet over here.

However, to be honest I have to say that SKX is one of my biggest holdings. I like the stock and love the shoes, but I may be wrong.

María (Long SKX)

1 Like

Unless one actually comes through the screens and DD (not for a while) I continue to prefer plugging along with FL to SKX, NKE, UA, Addidas and Uncle Tom Cobblers (UTC) and all. The space is now super-competitive and the thinking time-consuming. Like everything else, FL is too high to buy right now but the moment always comes.

It is time to relax and buy nothing.

Anyone know anything about wheat? It’s been going down for over 8 years. So much more interesting than oil or banks.

Thanks Maria for answering my questions, that’s what I needed to know.

Andy

For what it’s worth, I don’t think Skechers is seen as a premium brand in the UK.

Alex

1 Like

Thanks Alex that is helpful.

Andy

From what I can tell, Sketchers seems to be doing pretty well in Asia. I don’t think they are seen as a premium brand but they are advertising for a younger crowd by using Korean Pop stars in ads. You could find a lot of bus stops using both male and female k-pop stars advertising sketchers:

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/191152/20150409/sistar-ske…

They also have a store in one of Singapore’s most expensive malls, Ion

http://www.ionorchard.com/en/

They are one of the lower floors that have a lot more foot traffic and more common brands. The upper floors are more the LV, Ballys, and Bottega, Prada, etc You can see all the luxury brands:

http://www.ionorchard.com/en/store.html?view=category&ca…

I think Zara is probably similar. They have quite a few stores in premium malls and airport duty free around Asia. I never knew really where they were from originally but they opened up stores pretty much in a mall in most of the different shopping areas. I would go in from time to time, I thought they were going for a reasonably priced, but premium brand. I only bought a couple of shirts there but felt their fit wasn’t right for me.

3 Likes

Maybe wheat’s been getting hit by the gluten-free trend. There’s probably not a separate market for organic wheat. I would expect many organic commodities to do better.

But I don’t trade commodities, and I try to keep away from companies in commodities (e.g., oil). Silicon, that’s a different story… :slight_smile: [but software is probably even better]