DDOG Q1 results

Link to full press release: https://investors.datadoghq.com/news-releases/news-release-d…

First quarter revenue grew 51% year-over-year to $199 million

Strong growth of larger customers, with 1,437 $100k+ ARR customers, up from 960 a year ago

Closed on acquisitions of Sqreen and Timber

Named a Leader in the 2021 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Performance Monitoring

NEW YORK, May 06, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) – Datadog, Inc. (NASDAQ:DDOG), the monitoring and security platform for cloud applications, today announced financial results for its first quarter ended March 31, 2021.

“We are pleased with our strong first quarter results, an excellent start to the year that demonstrated continued high growth at scale,” said Olivier Pomel, co-founder and CEO of Datadog. “We continue to innovate at a rapid pace, delivering new products and features that leverage the strength of our observability platform to create value for our customers."

Pomel added, “Businesses are planning for a post-pandemic world. Digital transformation projects are being prioritized, as the need to be digital-first and agile is more prominent than ever. We believe we are in a strong position to benefit from this trend as the most complete and cloud-native end-to-end observability platform.”

First Quarter 2021 Financial Highlights:

Revenue was $198.5 million, an increase of 51% year-over-year.
GAAP operating loss was $(12.8) million; GAAP operating margin was (6)%.
Non-GAAP operating income was $19.6 million; non-GAAP operating margin was 10%.
GAAP net loss per diluted share was $(0.04); non-GAAP net income per diluted share was $0.06.
Operating cash flow was $51.7 million, with free cash flow of $44.5 million.
Cash, cash equivalents, restricted cash, and marketable securities were $1.6 billion as of March 31, 2021.

Lee

25 Likes

Comparing to last Q:

Revenue $198.5, a sequential increase of 12% (last Q 177.5) and a beat of 6% at the upper end of expected outlook of $213.

Adjusted Cash Flow $51.7, at 26% of revenue (last Q $23.8, at 13.4% of revenue)

Adjusted Free Cash Flow $44.5, at 22.4% of revenue (last Q $16.6, at 13.4% of revenue)

They added 184 large customers, a sequential increase of 15% to a total of 1437 (and a 50% year over year)

I didn’t yet see total paying customers and customers with ARR greater than $1M (we had 97 last Q).

LONG DDOG

13 Likes

correction:

Revenue $198.5, a sequential increase of 12% (last Q 177.5) and a beat of 6% at the upper end of expected outlook of $187.

They guided to top end of rev $213 which would be a sequential 7% growth, and expecting at 52% YoY.

(old man’s typos. sorry)

5 Likes

After being down 7% today and a lot more in the previous weeks/months.

Deceleration: Revenue growth has gone from 80%+ in 2019 and 66%+ in 2020, to 51.3% this quarter. FY21 guidance of $880M-890M implies ~47% growth at the midpoint.

38x sales for DDOG’s growth rate that’s slowing by 30% this year, although still reasonably high in absolute terms, is somewhat concerning.

9 Likes

Their guide implies 52% YoY growth for next Q. With their usual beat it will be ~60% YoY.

Seems like the company is accelerating sales growth not decelerating, correct?

Bnh

3 Likes

Deceleration: Revenue growth has gone from 80%+ in 2019 and 66%+ in 2020, to 51.3% this quarter. FY21 guidance of $880M-890M implies ~47% growth at the midpoint.

38x sales for DDOG’s growth rate that’s slowing by 30% this year, although still reasonably high in absolute terms, is somewhat concerning.

Agreed but not concerning in the larger context that this should be DDOG’s trough. Next quarter they should be 60% or over growth. Sequential growth that last two quarters has been 15 and 12 percent respectively and next quarter should be around 13%. So instead of being a 47% grower they are going to be accelerating the next few quarters back to being over 60% with great operating leverage.

They continue to add customers at a brisk pace and their customer’s continue to increase module use which is driving their DBNER. Classic land and expand that is working well.

DDOG has a nice business. Their q2 stumble last year just made the numbers look subpar on a YoY basis but once we look past the YoY comparisons we can see their business is doing very well.

-e

55 Likes

So instead of being a 47% grower they are going to be accelerating the next few quarters back to being over 60% with great operating leverage.

I agree with Ethan. Coming out of Covid, I think it’s important to look at sequential growth as well as YOY growth. And you have to look backwards and compare sequential growth in the same quarter of last year, with sequential growth in the current quarter. QoQ growth doesn’t account for seasonality. But Covid was not a seasonal event, and it’s doing funny things with YOY growth rates. For example, looking only at YOY growth for Zoom or Etsy misses that the growth has already slowed significantly. Many investors saw this 6 months ago for Zoom when their QoQ growth went from 102% to 17%.

And it works in reverse too. Only looking at YOY growth for Datadog misses how they are growing today.

YOY growth is a product of the previous four sequential growth rates. And Datadog had lower than usual sequential growth rates in Q2 and Q3 of 2020. So that affects YOY growth rates going forward.

At the end of 2020, DataDog guided for 38% revenue growth for FY 21. This quarter they now raised it to 47%. Next quarter will likely see another raise to 55%+.

Here is revenue growth for 2020

Q1           Q2             Q3            Q4             FY
	     131,248.00   140,012.00 	 154,675.00    177,531.00     603,466.00 
YOY growth   87.36%	  68.24%	 61.35%	       56.22%	      66.34%
Seq growth   15.49%	  **6.68%	         10.47%**       14.78%	

Those numbers in bold are the quarters affected by Covid.

Going forward, if they report 12% sequential growth for the remaining quarters of 2021, which is fair and conservative I think, it will look like this below. And they will end up with 58% growth instead of the 38% they guided to start the year.

Q1           Q2             Q3            Q4             FY
             198,549.00   223,000.00 	 250,000.00    280,000.00     951,549.00 
YOY growth   51.28%    **59.27%         61.63%**	       57.72%	      57.68%
Seq growth   11.84%	  12.31%	 12.11%	       12.00%	

The bolded numbers here show how YOY growth accelerates in Q2 and Q3 of 2021 compared to Q1 2021.

30 Likes

So instead of being a 47% grower they are going to be accelerating the next few quarters back to being over 60% with great operating leverage.

I guess I don’t understand when the company just said they’d be 47% growth [mid] that you’re somehow saying they’re going to be 60% this year.
Or are you saying they’re going from 51% last Q to 60% next Q but ending at ~47%?

DDOG has a very nice biz, owned it previously but that’s not what I’m questioning.

I guess I don’t understand when the company just said they’d be 47% growth [mid] that you’re somehow saying they’re going to be 60% this year.
Or are you saying they’re going from 51% last Q to 60% next Q but ending at ~47%?

For anyone who’s followed along with these hypergrowth companies, it’s pretty clear. The question of guidance comes up over and over again, and any regular reader of this board should have figured it out. Saul has stated multiple times that he considers it almost meaningless (presumably within a reasonable range).

Last quarter DDOG guidance was for $187M at the high end (+42%), and they reported $198M (+51%).

This quarter they guided to $213M (+52%).

Last quarter they guided to $835M for FY21 (+38%) and within 3 months they increased guidance to $890M (+47%). There are 2 more quarters left in the year. The math is not difficult.

DDOG has done this nearly every quarter, except for the first COVID quarter where they only slightly beat the high end of guidance (2Q20 with revenue of $140M versus high end of guidance at $136M). Without COVID, they probably would have come in around $10-12M above guidance or $147M at the midpoint.

Absent another pandemic level event, DDOG will very likely report around $225M in 2Q, raise guidance, report ~$255M in 3Q, raise guidance, and then ~$295M in 4Q, ending at +60% for the year. They aren’t going to actually get back to pre-COVID levels of 80%+ growth because that was on a much lower base (although CRWD seems to be much better at maintaining growth).

Almost every single SaaS company provides guidance below what they expect to actually achieve. It’s a major disappointment when a company meets guidance, and it’s usually from a company without nearly pure subscription revenue (FSLY with usage-based pricing, AYX with their hybrid accounting). DDOG has half a quarter booked, most of the rest of the quarter already contracted, making their actual results vs. guidance very predictable. I don’t know for sure but I’m guessing they could halt all sales activity for the rest of the quarter and still beat guidance.

Have you been following along with guidance and actual results?

35 Likes

I like this sentence from IRdoc

Have you been following along with guidance and actual results?

That prompted me to write this Revenue metric story of DDOG as I tell myself when looking at spreadsheets, to help me understand my conviction in an ongoing financial journey of my portfolio.

There are more metrics to dig into but I think Revenue is the basic one to grasp.
What helps me, is to look at timeframes as context for the Revenue, especially the expected Revenue

How? I will address comparing:

• Quarter (Q) over Previous Q: QoQ for short
  • Q of this Fiscal Year (FY) over the Q of Previous FY: Year over Year, YoY for short
  • and Fiscal Year (FY) over previous FY: FYoFY for short.

Why? I want to make a letter to my younger self when I didn’t understand what was going on. Perhaps others are in a similar boat.

All the following numbers can be found in DDOG Quarterly statements, short documents, and it deals only with one metric: Revenue. All other metrics omitted on purpose
here are the docs: https://investors.datadoghq.com/financial-information/quarte…

It’s also a note about importance of paying attention to the DATEs when a COMPANY delivers the news, AND about what past time frames and future time frames the news is about

let’s begin:

On 2/13/2020 DDOG announced their Q4 and FY2019 Earnings.

(it’s important to think of those as two distinct timeframe metrics Q versus FY numbers, you will see why)

Q4 Rev was 113.6 (all numbers in Millions henceforth). Their Q4 is OCT-DEC timeframe. (Their Fiscal Year matches Calendar Year)
FY19 Rev was 362.8 which was 83% growth over FY18 (198.1).

How did the Revenue unfold over Fiscal Year 2020 ?

On 2/13/2020 they were already a month and a half into Q1 FY20 and they could look into their forecasting machinery, which I will call a crystal ball, and tell us how much Revenue they could expect to report sometime in the middle of May 2020 for Q1 JAN-MARCH

They told us they would make up to 119 for Q1, guiding for 5% sequential growth, and 82% YoY growth (compared to Q1 FY19)

How about for Fiscal Year 2020? It’s early in the FY2020 (ending in DEC 2020), but
they told us they would make 545, guiding for 50% growth over FY19, which they just told us was at 362.5.

We are only a month and a half into fiscal year, so we can’t be confident in this number of 50% FY growth, but it’s good to have it for context.

I assume by the next day the news of Earnings and Outlook have been digested, and
Mr Market prices our DDOG accordingly at $47 per share, sweet

On 5/11/2020 (we are in full pandemic mode) DDOG announces Earnings for Q1 JAN-MARCH
(remember the last 2 weeks of March? It wasn’t awesome)

They told us they made 131.2, beating the expected 119 by 10.3%. They made 15% more than previous Q, and 87% YoY
To reiterate: a month and a half before the end of Q1 they guided for 119, but they actually made 131.2
I like to remind myself of those timeframes

And now to a crystal ball:
On 5/11, a month and 11 days into Q2
they told us they would make up to 136 next Q2, guiding for 4% sequential growth, and 63% YoY.

And they also told us that for the FY20 they increased their outlook to 565, guiding for FY growth of 56% (6% more than last guidance/outlook/crystal ball readings)

And Mr Market after digesting the news gives us a price of $69, some 46% appreciation from previous Q Earnings, sweet.

Some of you have have bought DDOG during the March meltdown around $30 so all is great, we are going to the moon, maybe…

On 8/6/2020 DDOG announced their Q2, for APR-JUNE timeframe.

They told us they made 140, beating their guided 136, by 3%. They made 7% more than previous Q, and 68% YoY.
(we are in the pandemic and full on digital transformation for many industries.)

And now the crystal ball:
On 8/6, (we are a month and 6 days into Q3 at this point. note to self: pay attention to the time passed into the next Q when outlook for next Q is presented)
They told us they would make up to 145, guiding for 4% growth over previous Q
And they told us that for FY20 they see 575, guiding for 58% FY on FY growth, a 2% increase over the last Q guidance.
We are now 7 months and 6 days into FY2020

Mr Market after digesting the story prices DDOG at $75, increasing about 9% over last Q price.

On 11/10/2020, DDOG announces Q3 JUL-SEPT timeframe Earnings.

They told us they made 154.7, beating their guided 145, by 6.7%, a 11% sequential Q growth, and 61% YoY.

And the crystal ball: They tell us the next Q4 they will make up to 164, expecting 6% sequential growth,
We are 10 months and 10 days into FY2020, and they tell us that for the FISCAL YEAR they will make 590, guiding for 63% FY on FY growth, a 5% increase from the last Q guidance
We are getting closer to the end of FY, if they beat Q4 we may end up over 60% FY on FY growth.

Mr Market, after digesting the story, prices DDOG at $87, a 15.6% price appreciation over the last Q, and 118% YoY.

On 2/11/2021, DDOG announces Q4 and FY2020 earnings

They told us they made 177.5, beating their guided 164, by 8.2%. They grew sequentially 15%, and 56% YoY.
AND for Full Fiscal Year 2020
They told us they made 603.5, a 66% growth over FY 2019 (362.8)

We are now back where we started this story, Q4 of FY ending and starting a new FISCAL YEAR, FY2021

And the crystal ball on 2/11/2021:
They tell us that for Q1 JAN-MARCH, they will make up to 187, guiding for 5% sequential growth, and 43% YoY
And they also tell us that for FY21 (well, we are only a month and a half in) they will make 835, a 38% FY o FY growth

Mr Market, after digesting the story, prices DDOG at $113, a 29% appreciation over the last Q, and 140% YoY. (price took a tumble after that but that’s Mr Market sneezing)

FINALLY.

On 5/6/2021, DDOG announced Q1 JAN-MARCH earnings for FY2021

They told us they made 198.5, beating their outlook of 187, by over 6%. They grew sequentially 12%, and 51% YoY

The last crystal ball:
They tell us the next Q, they will now make up to 213, expecting 7% sequential growth
And for FY2021 they expect to make 890, a 47% FY on FY ( a 9% increase over what they told us last Q )

Mr Market, after digesting the story, prices DDOG at $77, a drop of -31%

Some sort of closing

Will they beat? by how much? Will we get 225 next Q beating by ~6%? who knows?
And will they up the FY guidance to 950 for the FY2021: Maybe, maybe not.
How will Mr Market react? These are the fun questions to entertain but not to obsess about

It’s good to compare current Q in this fiscal year over the same Quarter in the prvious fiscal year
It’s good to compare current Q to previous Q
It’s good to note what the Company tells us what they expect and that they actually delivered on Earnings day.
It’s good to know that Earnings date is usually a month and a half into the next Q.
It’s ok to see how Mr Market prices our company at any time, but especially the next day after earnings when facts are known.

I think all those are partial stories that can help us in building confidence in a company.

I rounded some numbers, what matters is how I look at the company numbers progresssing.
Revenue, expected and actual, is one of the metrics that matters. There are more metrics to track (like Cusomers count with ARR over $100K)

I like to track the next day closing price, as a proxy for how Mr Market prices the stock after earnings event.

Thanks for reading.

DDOG is 14% of my portfolio with high confidence over the next 12 months

47 Likes

Naj -

what metric change led you to get out of DDOG? Decreasing acceleration of sales?

what metrics keep you in CRWD. I see the second derivative being stable rather than accelerating.

you used to own OKTA. Did you get out? If you did, could you share what metric change led you to sell. Is it always the second derivative?

More generally, I would guess a fair amount of selling between earning calls is computer generated.

Man, I can’t believe you remember back to AtHome in 1998. First company I ever rode into the ground.

RWRocks
who also remembers the Gardners learning a lesson about metrics in 2000.

2 Likes