End of an Era

I have taken a look at the “sneak peek” of the new boards and am not impressed with what I see. While I will glance at it after it has ramped up, I am unlikely to spend time trying to figure out how to maximize the use of a new format, and as of now am planning to exit the community.

While my old friend and tutor still exists, I will take the time to tell all of you how much I have enjoyed and profited from my multi decade association with you through these boards. To me the current beauty of these boards has nothing to do with TMF beyond the platform they provided for communication, and everything to do with the varied voices that could give me feedback on my ideas in a way an article simply could not. I appreciate all of you. Sadly it seems to me that the new format seeks to minimize the individual and maximize the profile of TMF, which over the years has transformed into a me too conveyer of ads in the guise of “information.” There seems to no longer be an original bone in the body of TMF, who seems to be going for the generic investment ideas within a box approach that they used to so openly mock.

I say this without bitterness as no doubt this is a profitable way for them to go, and were I a shareholder I would probably applaud the move. A company needs to make money to survive, which I recognized when I protested their dropping the annual membership fee, calling it the beginning of the end. I always appreciate thinking outside of the box, and the move to generic by TMF has been hard to watch.

I am sure that financial planners everywhere are thrilled that the era of original thought is ending at TMF, as it makes it harder for people to learn how to invest without paying someone to do it for them. Indeed, TMF has been morphing into FPs themselves, so why would they encourage people to think for themselves, rather than pay TMF to do the thinking for them? I have referred dozens of people new to investing to TMF. Where to send them now?

But that is evolution of a business. Change is not always good, but sometimes necessary. It’s time to change my life model and not waste time on these boards. Thank you for being part of my journey towards financial independence. It’s been glorious. I could not have done it without you. TMF may not be viewing board contributors as valuable, but know that I value you and wish you good fortune.

Best wishes,

IP

48 Likes

TMF may not be viewing board contributors as valuable,

TMF probably views board contributors as competition.

Steve

5 Likes

Hi IP

Just an FYI, no one has seen what the new free side “boards” look like - you’re looking at the subscription side which is quite different from the free side. I urge you to stick around until Saturday to see what it looks like. With the exception of the inherently threaded nature of things, it’s not that different.

As for why they are different - there are all sorts of security layers necessary on the subscription side that drove the way it was set up. Those don’t exist on the free side so we could do different things. (also, after a couple of weeks, you move around just as fast there as you did on the old boards - it’s just adapting that takes time - I know, I was in that same boat when they were first deployed)

Jen

7 Likes

Inparadise, you have long been one of my Favorite Fools. I hope that you will reconsider your decision to leave TMF and remain a participant on METAR.

Message boards, whatever their format, owe their quality to the participants. If the good participants leave (for whatever reason) the board will deteriorate. I don’t want that to happen. I hope that all METARs will stay and give the new format a chance. It may be different but I’m sure it’s not rocket science.

I am grateful to TMF for maintaining the free boards for so many years. I’m grateful that they are maintaining some (if not all) free boards when they transition their system, since it would have been so easy to just terminate the free boards altogether.

I feel that METAR, with our assemblage of bulls, bears and everyone between (a lot of very smart and experienced investors), is among the remaining exemplars of the original Fool philosophy. The other remaining free boards (e.g. Mechanical Investing, Saul’s Board, etc.), like METAR, include Fools who spend many hours researching and sharing investment ideas in an interactive way that reading articles simply can’t match. I enjoy the sharing process, especially since so many METARs have perspectives that are different from my own.

As for the commercial side, I simply ignore it.

Please give it some time. Stay.
Wendy

19 Likes

Hi, InParadise

Hope you don’t go. I found your posts valuable. There are not that many females with experience to share, so I valued your perspective.

I looked at the format, which when reading the “howto” seemed overwhelming, at first. Yet, I think it’s easier than it looks on paper, and will be more intuitive when we get our hands on it.

Hope you drop by. I don’t think it will take too long for things to sort out. Maybe we can make a go and it will be better than we imagine.

2 Likes

While I will glance at it after it has ramped up, I am unlikely to spend time trying to figure out how to maximize the use of a new format, and as of now am planning to exit the community.

I hope you at least give it a couple of weeks to see how it really works and how it really looks.
It would be a big loss for you to go

Mike

2 Likes

what the Mike and Wendy said.

Hey METARites! Do NOT chicken out and abandon. Let’s give it next week and see what we discover and what we can work out.

david fb

4 Likes

I hope you at least give it a couple of weeks to see how it really works and how it really looks.
It would be a big loss for you to go

Co-signed. It might take a bit to get used to the new interface. The old interface however, is no bag of candy. I’d give it a bit before deciding.

It seems the new interface is much faster. That means more forgiving in getting around it.

I now have 7 boards on my ‘favorites’ list.

3 of them haven’t had a post in weeks - they essentially died when most of the boards vanished and those folks aren’t interested any longer

2 of them get 1 or 2 posts a week now.

this board gets 100 posts a day

the other board maybe 8 a week.

I suspect most of them will be declared ‘dead’ and de-activated in a few months

t

2 Likes

"I hope you at least give it a couple of weeks to see how it really works and how it really looks.
It would be a big loss for you to go"

Co-signed. It might take a bit to get used to the new interface. The old interface however, is no bag of candy. I’d give it a bit before deciding.

Ditto! Hope to see you on the other side, InParadise. If not, then know that I and many others have enjoyed and learned the many conversations with you over the years. :slight_smile:

Thanks Jen. I will try to keep an open mind. Life is busy these days and we are heading out for vacation, so it may be a while…unless it rains, keeping us inside!

I confess that the traffic on my usual boards seems to have increased in quantity but not necessarily quality, as people from closed boards search for a new home, making it harder and more frustrating to keep up with the higher volume and separate the wheat from the chaff. Am already feeling like a hamster on a wheel, and the addition of new technology is just causing burnout.

Above all I did not want to miss an opportunity to express my gratitude for the people here. I came to TMF a newbie to investing. As a SAHM with a kid on each hip, DH brought home the seed money and I put it to work with what I learned here. Put two kids through college and retired at 55 and 59. TMF boards also gave me a support network when dealing with teens and the downward health spiral of our parents. The boards kept me sane with adult contact after my transition from a professional world where I presented research at conferences to dealing with two toddlers at home, while DH worked 10 hour days, often 7 days a week.

Yeah. I am reluctant to see it change. A lifeline, really.

IP

8 Likes

Thank you Wendy, and all who replied by post or rec. I am very touched by your kindness.

IP

1 Like

The best investing advice I ever received or close to it was index funds.

This was 20+ odd years ago now and I had never heard of them.

As a result I moved my super monies into a total market ETF and never looked back. I don’t just let it ride however I do try and time the market with various allocation changes to cash.

Of course I have my own portfolio as well in individual stocks.

As for the board closures, its all very sad, however if I was in the US it would be most unwise to make any political comments in a public forum yo never know who may pay you a visit.

if I was in the US it would be most unwise to make any political comments in a public forum yo never know who may pay you a visit.

Do you know why lawyers can swim in the shark infested waters of Australia?

Professional Courtesy!

The Captain

3 Likes

What has happened to the posts on the old boards? Are they still accessible, have they been erased?

They are still accessible in a read-only format. Rumors are that they will be taken down at some point, losing all of the history and knowledge they contain. That could happen fairly soon, so if there is anything there you want to keep for your own use, I suggest you do so at your earliest opportunity. I have already copied a few threads to my personal computer, and will likely do many more.

–Peter

Captain you are unsinkable? Welcome on board sir!