EV Range Anxiety Varies

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-is-what-it-would-take…
USians:What number will ease the average buyer’s range anxiety?

That would be 518 miles between charges.

German drivers gave an average answer of 383 miles. Drivers in China — now the world’s largest car market by number of new cars registered — would buy in at just 258 miles.

5 Likes

I don’t have range anxiety. I have time anxiety.

PSU

3 Likes

I don’t have range anxiety. I have time anxiety.

I don’t understand. You’re afraid you’re going to die before you get there?

1 Like

I don’t understand. You’re afraid you’re going to die before you get there?

We’ll take Tesla as an example. There are plenty of Superchargers between my home and family in Pittsburgh. I’m not worried about being stranded somewhere because my vehicle would run out of power before making it to a charger. But I hate taking a long time to make that drive. We even pack sandwiches so we don’t need to stop for lunch or dinner. With an ICE vehicle, I can always refuel within a few minutes and be on my way. Even if no one else is using the Supercharger where I would stop, it takes 4x or more the time to make the stop. Now as Teslas become a higher percentage of the cars on the road, there will be chance that all the Superchargers would be in use. So the stop becomes that much longer.

In the one town where I make my gasoline stop, it would also be the Supercharger location. It is also a popular location to stop since it at a location where two interstate highways combine into one road. During holidays like Christmas, the gasoline stations can be 4 or more cars deep at each pump. Image what the wait time would be if there is a similar line of cars at a Supercharger.

PSU

7 Likes

Time anxiety, remote location charging station anxiety and towing capacity, which would,I assume affect range.
One of my favorite destinations is the 3 corners area of CA,NV and OR and the northeast into Owyhee. Not expecting charging stations around there any time soon.

And then there’s the story of the former mayor of San Luis Obispo (probably not the sharpest tool in the shed).

https://calcoastnews.com/2022/01/slo-climate-change-activist…
Former San Luis Obispo mayor and climate change activist Heidi Harmon attempted to “do the right thing,” and travel to a rally in San Francisco in an electric car. After multiple attempts to find a working charging station in San Jose, Harmon realized charging the car would take up to seven hours and there was no way she could make the rally.

Harmon posted multiple videos about her difficulties in traveling in an all-electric vehicle. She discusses calling the police or asking someone to send a helicopter to rescue her.

DB2

1 Like

“In the one town where I make my gasoline stop, it would also be the Supercharger location. It is also a popular location to stop since it at a location where two interstate highways combine into one road. During holidays like Christmas, the gasoline stations can be 4 or more cars deep at each pump. Image what the wait time would be if there is a similar line of cars at a Supercharger.”

Kia has two new EVs. One gets 320 miles with the large battery pack. The other model with smaller battery pack gets 220 miles on full charge.

You can fast charge it to 80% at a Level 3 charger in 18 minutes…but that means you’ll be stopping again in 175 miles or sooner on the small battery pack. Now imagine a 600 mile trip - having to stop at least 2 times, maybe 3 if it is 20 degrees or colder outside… and have five or six cars ahead of you. Hour and half or two hour wait… at each charge point.

Now, even if there are a couple cars ahead of you at every pump, it’s five minutes a car for another 300-500 miles and you get a 100% tank. Most times there’s only one or two cars ahead of you at a pump even on crowded holiday weekends as there are so many pumps. Stops like Buc-Es have 20-30 pumps going.

EVs are good for folks who don’t travel and can charge in their garage and only drive around town, to work and back, to school and back, retired folks, etc.

Leave the interstates on smaller roads - and you have to really plan your route and stops in an EV. Heck, out west it can be 80 miles between tiny burgs with a convenience store with 4 gas pumps maybe - maybe only 2…and the next town is 80 miles down the road. It might have 6 gas pumps total at 2 stations. Level 3 chargers? No… motel to stay overnight? maybe…maybe not.

Until the 15 minute to 90% charge comes about…with a gazillion Level 3 chargers… I am EV averse. I usually drive 30,000 miles a year on trips.

t.

3 Likes

One of my favorite destinations is the 3 corners area of CA,NV and OR

How about Alturas, CA?

Toyota 2017 RAV4 Hybrid 427 miles between refills.

OTFoolish

2 Likes