Fake and Woke comes for Bacon

{{ The World Health Organization classifies it, along with other processed meats, as a carcinogen. Most pork is produced in factory-like livestock farms generating roughly 15 percent of the world’s annual greenhouse gas emissions, and many of the farms have been known to subject pigs to extreme confinement and overcrowded conditions.

A pork-free version of bacon could change the game, unlocking methods to make all plant-based meats rival the real thing and put a much bigger dent in emissions. Ethan Brown, chief executive of Beyond Meat, which has pursued a plant-based version for years, has called it a “holy grail” for the company. }}

I’m all for it. The best-rated veggie bacon in the article costs $14/pound at Walmart. I can usually buy bacon on sale at Safeway for $3/pound or less.

intercst

1 Like

*****BREAKING NEWS^^^^^^^

Fake bacon, made from soy beans, mashed into a fiber mat, and treated with fake color and fake flavor, has been a thing for fifty years.

Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 17-23-10 Betty Crocker Bc Bacos Chips Salad Topping - Walmart.com

2 Likes

My dog loves this bacon and it’s only 3.48 cents a bag.

Andy

1 Like

Costco sells 20-oz packages of bacon pieces for about $10. I add them to Eggland cheese omelettes (Costco sells a box of 8 Eggland cheese omelettes for about $14, or about $1.75 each). Cheap and easy breakfast or fast snack. For me, one bag of bacon pieces is enough for 5+ boxes of omelettes.

More religious Muslim restaurant owners have used bacon, ham, and pepperoni meat substitutes for decades. The public is not aware of it. Usually the meat is turkey or beef as the substitute.

I just make my own omelettes. Less than a buck for 2 eggs. I can add a bit of cheese, or diced ham, or onions and bell peppers, or whatever floats my boat that day. Grate up a potato and I’ve got hash browns to go with it.

That’s breakfast 4 or 5 days a week. The others are oatmeal with some milk and fresh fruit and too much brown sugar, or an English muffin with a couple of scrambled or fried eggs.

–Peter

6 Likes

I find it easier to buy them ready-made. Fast/easy prep whenever I want it.

To each his own, of course.

But basic bachelor cooking doesn’t get much simpler than cracking two eggs into a bowl, whisking them with the fork you’ll use to eat them with, then dropping them into a hot pan with oil or butter. The very talented can use that same fork to stir the eggs in the pan and then fold the cooked eggs into an omelette shape. I lack that talent.

Cooking from scratch like this is often attractive to potential mates, if you are interested in such. And should you already have one, you can usually score points by cooking something in the morning for said partner. And if you’re not interested, it just plain tastes better.

Besides, you’ve already got the pan out to cook the costco bacon. Remove the bacon and cook the omelette in the bacon fat for even more bacon flavor. For the extreme penny pinchers, that saves the cost of a dollop of oil or butter. :wink:

–Peter

3 Likes

No cooking required. The Costco bacon bits are fully cooked. All I do is zap the frozen omelette for 45 seconds to get it mostly defrosted. Unfold it, drop some bacon bits onto the bottom half of the opened omelette, then fold it back. 1 min in the microwave and it is hot. Let it cool off and then start eating. I don’t store the omelettes in their retail box. I take them out and put them in nooks and crannies between other frozen stuff in the freezer. I waste as little space as possible.

How did I miss that info? [forehead slap emoji] Makes a lot more sense now.

—Peter

PS - One more breakfast. Scramble two eggs. Roll inside a flour tortilla with some cheese for a breakfast burrito. I like to lightly brown the burrito to add a bit of crisp texture. Use the extra hot sauce packets from your favorite Mexican fast food place to spice things up a bit.

4 Likes

You realize that’s $8/pound, right?

intercst

2 Likes

As it takes me 3-5+ months to finish one package, price per pound is not an issue. I use maybe 1/2 oz per omelette, so one bag is about 40 omelettes, or about 25-cents per omelette to add the bacon. I learned I did not need to use a lot to make the omelette taste good with the bacon bits. So I don’t try to OD on the bacon pieces any more.

2 Likes

Excellent strategy! – Source reduction.

intercst

2 Likes