Food on the cheap

So it exists because the publishers allow it to exist?

I give up. How’d you do that? Invisible inK?

So what did you make and how did it go?

IP,
with a great recipe for this but obviously too late

1 Like

A couple of weeks ago we needed a quick and easy meal after a long day. We stopped at the grocery on the way home and picked up a rotisserie chicken. We had salad fixings and some good bread at home. We had the legs, thighs and wings. Later I took the bones from dinner, along with all the other bones and skin and made a stock with it. Tonight we used the stock and one of the breasts in a soup. Later we will use the other breast in another dinner. I think the grocery store rotisserie chicken is one of the best food on the cheap meals around.

4 Likes

Costco rotisserie chickens are the best, plump and juicy. Unfortunately Mrs. Goofy only allows us to have human/organic chicken and Costo’s isn’t. In fact they have been criticized for over-plumping their birds to the point where they are too fat to walk, so there’s that.

That said, they’re a loss leader, and really delicious and really cheap. $5.99, I think.

1 Like

We generally pick up a Costco rotator bird any time we do a Costco run, I snag the legs, thighs for an instant lunch, then DW breaks the rest down, and it’s used in whatever comes along, bean soups, etc… Easy n tasty, DW losed the skin, so just the meat gets tossed in the freezer… Yummy lunch!

1 Like

On butter.

We like to mix it 50-50 with our favorite oil, put it in a crock and refrigerate. It stays soft that way.

1 Like

I always have a bar out in a covered butter dish. In the winter it is pretty hard, but one minute in the microwave at 10% makes it somewhat spreadable. Somewhat means it won’t spread thinly, but I’m not the type to spread butter thinly. A bar straight from the refrigerator is kind of usable after 2 minutes at 10%, with the softest spots about an inch in from either end*.

In the refrigerator there is always the open pound (1-4 bars) and the next pound. Generally there are two to six pounds in the freezer. (Costco butter comes in four pound packages and I don’t let that supply get low.)

I have two old, scratched, chipped glass butter dishes I rely on. I also have a small collection of new glass butter dishes that are just about useless. Too small, not flat… really poor designs. Why glass? The ceramic ones I had would heat up in the microwave oven. The very functional old Tupperware plastic ones were poor choices for the microwave too, as they had no lip to keep a bit of melted butter from running over.

*(All these are east-coast long and skinny bars. I have no experience with west coast bars, which would probably react differently).