Gen-Z employment interviews

• 38% of employers avoid hiring recent college graduates in favor of older employees
  • 1 in 5 employers have had a recent college graduate bring a parent to a job interview
  • 58% say recent college graduates are unprepared for the workforce
  • Nearly half of employers have had to fire a recent college graduate

DB2

I’ve seen this stat before. My reaction was OMG, what were the parents thinking? Never mind, what were the grads thinking?

I’m grateful we raised 2 very independent children. Our oldest moved to NYC right after graduating with a job that paid him to get a masters degree. Our youngest moved back home for 2 months after graduating. Living with me was, apparently, enough to drive him to get a job in NYC. :open_mouth: They’re both in CA today and have never asked us for a cent. Ms. Wolf raised them with tough love (I was a push-over).

2 Likes

Living with my parents is what drove me out of the house at the earliest possible opportunity. I tried to join the Coast Guard when I was 12 but they wouldn’t take me.

1. 38% of employers avoid hiring recent college graduates in favor of older employees
    This could be just another version of “we can’t find enough workers.” Does it really mean anything? They pull this all the time.

2. 58% say recent college graduates are unprepared for the workforce
    See 1. above

3. Nearly half of employers have had to fire a recent college graduate
    Heaven forefend! Somebody didn’t work out! Sorry, kid, you’re just not working out. I’ve never heard of that before.

2 Likes

Older workers know more, need less training, because training is a cost to be minimized.

See above re training, and, possibly also a vector of the forces that lead to the creation of “Common Core”, which has since been demagogued into a vast big gummit conspiracy.

Steve

1 Like

We’ve had great experiences in our hiring of college interns and graduates. As usual, if you seek and select from the hard sciences pool, you deal with fewer issues. Onboarding is the chief concern.

Real projects with real opportunities to add value are not always simple enough to spring a new engineer into action.

This hasn’t changed for a LOOOONG time and there is nothing special about Gen-Z in that regard.

1 Like

That is probably because 1 in 5 recent college graduate’s live in their parents basement and the parent just wants to make sure they make it to the interview. :joy:

Andy

Is that a reflection on the graduate or their parents?

Part of the job of parenting is to prepare your kids to be adults. If they’ve graduated college and are unprepared to go to a job interview, sounds like a parenting failure to me.

Full disclosure: I drove my kid to his job interview, but did not accompany him in. He doesn’t have a driver license. (And probably never will due to his medical condition.)

–Peter

PS - He’s also not a college grad.

3 Likes

I’m skeptical of that, but I have noticed a LARGE change in how NCG’s are treated in companies between today, and when I started in '89.

When I started I was immediately put into a new hire training program, as we all were. It would last 12-18 months depending. This seemed to be the norm for at least a decade. Things then slowly started to change. Fast-forward to my time at Oracle around 2014 when my manager complained that the new-hires still hadn’t done anything substantial after 2 weeks. I did not know what to say.

4 Likes

See my comment above: older workers know more when they start, because training is a cost to be minimized.

I don’t know if I had any formal “training”, when I started at the pump seal company in 78. I brought knowledge of engineering drawings, metallurgy, chemistry, fluid mechanics to the job. iirc, “training” amounted to a slower pace of shoveling work to me, until I became conversant in the company’s seal designs, applications, and materials coding, so maybe six months, until the trickle of work became a flood.

When I interviewed for a job at a Steelcase dealer, the interviewer said something along the lines of “Office Depot probably uses it’s own computer system”. I said “the supply side uses AOPS, but the dealership part, where I worked, used Hedberg”. The guy about jumped out of his skin (no training required) I had used an earlier version of Hedberg at OD, so they had another person look over my shoulder while I entered a couple orders, then she told my boss “he’s fine”. Thus ended my “training” at Workplace Integrators.

Steve…old phart, knows stuff

1 Like