Gosh, Who'a Thunk It?

All the stores were crazy’: Justin Trudeau’s gun crackdown sparks handgun panic-buying ahead of the freeze on sales

Justin Trudeau on May 30 announced that he was introducing legislation to ban the sale of handguns in Canada

He said: ‘It will no longer be possible to buy, sell, transfer, or import handguns anywhere in Canada once this Bill becomes law’

Under the new legislation, existing handgun owners would be allowed to keep their firearms, but need permission to sell them …

The law, Bill C-21, must first be passed by both the House of Commons and the Senate: it is likely to be law by the fall

Gun shop owners are reporting a surge in demand for handguns as those licensed to own firearms stock up before the ban

So, we can expect a serge in handgun sales and imports followed by a serge in smuggling and blackmarket sales.

I foresee people with existing gun collections fattening up their bank accounts ahead of the deadline as people without guns suddenly decide they need something they’ve eschewed for years.

1 Like

I saw an item on the wire a few days ago, USians are rushing to buy assault rifles.

Certain factions have been goosing gun sales in Shinyland for several years with warnings that “they will outlaw your favorite gun”.

Steve

1 Like

“Certain factions have been goosing gun sales in Shinyland for several years with warnings that “they will outlaw your favorite gun”.”

But they won’t. They’re American, so they’re afraid to do anything.
It’s a sales pitch.

3 Likes

But they won’t. They’re American, so they’re afraid to do anything.
It’s a sales pitch.

Yes, it’s a sales pitch, and it works. What happens every time the media starts screaming “SHORTAGE” about anything? The mob rushes the stores, strips the shelves, and creates a shortage.

As the “right to bear arms” approaches an absolute, I’m waiting for the controls on machine guns to be overturned. Remember how machine guns came to be controlled? Public outrage at the carnage caused by their use by gangs in the 1920s.

The National Firearms Act (NFA), 73rd Congress, Sess. 2, ch. 757, 48 Stat. 1236 was enacted on June 26, 1934, and currently codified and amended as I.R.C. ch. 53. The law is an Act of Congress in the United States that, in general, imposes an excise tax on the manufacture and transfer of certain firearms and mandates the registration of those firearms.

Categories of regulated firearms…Machine guns…Short-barreled rifles…Short barreled shotguns…Suppressors…Destructive devices

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

After the Assault Rifle ban expired in the early 2000s, a case regarding Washington DC’s handgun ban came before the court.

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA v. HELLER

3. The handgun ban and the trigger-lock requirement (as applied to self-defense) violate the Second Amendment . The District’s total ban on handgun possession in the home amounts to a prohibition on an entire class of “arms” that Americans overwhelmingly choose for the lawful purpose of self-defense.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/07-290.ZS.html

Doesn’t matter what the pols huff and puff about. Trigger locks have been deemed unconstitutional, and banning an entire class of arms has been deemed unconstitutional. I am sure there will be someone making a case they are a lousy shot, a pistol is not good enough, they need a MAC-10 to defend themselves in their home, by sending thirty rounds down the hallway at a noise they heard, and the tax and registration requirements of the National Firearms Act inhibit their rights.

Steve…there is no such thing as “settled law” in Shinyland

2 Likes