Guardant Health (GH)- A new position

A little background
Over the last two years I’ve been hearing more and more about Liquid Biopsy. A brief primer on what it is and why it is important and could be a MAJOR step forward in cancer diagnosis, treatment and monitoring. Currently a patient will have some symptoms or something will be incidentally found. They see their physician and then get referred to the appropriate person to get tissue so that the pathologists can tell the treating team if the patient has cancer, what type of cancer they have and from there more tests can be done to help determine which chemotherapeutic agents will be effective. The problem with the system is that biopsies are hard, like really hard. Depending on where they are they can require pretty major surgery and doing the surgery is no guarantee that you actually got the correct tissue. Imagine going in for brain surgery to get tissue from a brain mass. You think you may have cancer, you take time off of work, get all your preoperative testing done, go in early in the morning. You family waits in the waiting room for 4 or 5 hours and then you spend a night or two in the hospital. A week or two later the pathologist calls your doctor and says, “sorry” the tissue was “non-diagnostic”. Your only choice is to go back and do all that again. The problem is many tumors are heterogeneous which means they may have normal tissue or non-diagnostic tissue in it. So even though you are in the correct area by imaging…you haven’t found the correct part of the tumor that will give you a diagnosis. This process is hugely expensive, has high morbidity (side effects) and is very very time consuming. A few years ago I was talking to colleagues and the idea of Liquid Biopsies came up. The basic premise is that tumors shed traces of their DNA, RNA, and molecular markers in the blood stream, urine, CSF etc. If you can develop an assay that is sensitive enough and specific enough then you should theoretically be able to detect cancer with a blood/urine/csf test. There is a HUGE amount of interest, research dollars and companies looking into this. The implications for cancer care/ immunology /infectious disease are pretty staggering. This could totally changes how cancers are diagnosed, how treatments are monitored and chosen, and how remission is followed and how drugs are developed. I’ve been wanting to invest in the idea for a few years now but there weren’t any pure plays that seemed like anything but speculation/hype.

A Nascent Industry
This industry is littered with casualties that reached pretty stratospheric valuations based on their story but then cratered to nothing. On the other hand there is serious money and big companies all chasing this space. Bezos, Gates and Illumunia have teamed up to fund a company called Grail that is going after the liquid biopsy space. They have raised about a billion dollars and have big goals with big data and big money. I don’t know how close they are to a commercial product.

Qiagen which i think of as more of a pick and shovels company is getting into the liquid biopsy market, they have two tests, prostate and lung ca that they released a few months ago. I don’t know what kind of uptake they have gotten.

There are literally dozens of companies out there from big heavy weights like Johnson and Johnson, to little companies that really only have a hope of being acquired by the big companies.

The Investment
Enter in Guardant Health (GH). GH is a pure play liquid biopsy company that was established in 2011 and came out with their first commercial assay in 2014. They had some pretty big name investors such as sequoia capital, softbank, t. Rowe price. Their IPO was this October raising 249.5 million dollars. They IPOed for 19 and the stock pretty much immediately settled in the 32-40 range for a market cap around 3.5 billion. They have two products that are commercially available.

Guardant 360 360 profiles most important 73 genes that impact treatment decisions including all that are recommended to be tested by the NCCN (national comprehensive cancer network). GH expects 3 major growth drivers for 360.
1)Pan-cancer FDA approval in 2019.
2)Pan- cancer medicare coverage (currently coverage is for non small cell lung ca)
3)Results of their NILE study which is to demonstrate non-inferiority of guardant 360 in non small cell lung cancer. If they get favorable results this would mean those patients could have liquid biopsy tests instead of invasive lung biopsies/wedge resections.

Clinical volume showed a 17% increase in clinical volume from 2017. If the 3 things above happen then they expect strong clinical revenue growth.

Guardant 360 has benefits from some very good press lately. In october results from their SLLIP study (which is part 1 of 2, part 2 is the NILE study) were published in JAMA Oncology which was designed to show non-inferiority for first line treatment choice vs biopsy. They had a positive result. Some additional analysis showed a greater than 10k saving per patient if only 360 was used. 44% of patients that went with tissue biopsy had inadequate samples (Seems high to me, but I normally only see the ones that we know are inadequate in the operating room).

Guardant omni. Omni is basically the same thing as guardant360 but tests an additional 400 plus genes used in biopharmaceutical and academic research. Pharmaceutical volume was up 67%. I doubt we will continue to see such huge increase in pharmaceutical volume however we should see genes from the OMNI test make its way into the 360 tests as treatment options because clinically relevant.

GH has two major products in development.
Lunar 1 - recurrence detection and residual disease detection,
Lunar 2- Early Detection. They anticipate about 20x numbers of patients for lunar-1 and lunar 2. Lunar 1 should have an early product sometime in 2019.

Financials
Financials are going to be pretty thin as I’m mostly just concerned they have enough money to keep chugging along and they have only one quarter has a public company. I’m basically just regurgitating their conference call / press release.

Q3 Revenue 2018 21.8 million vs 11.1 million Q3 2017, and increase of 95%
This was driving by increased average selling price (ASP) as well as increased volume as I mentioned above.
Gross profit up to 11.6 vs 2.5
Gross Margin 53.7% vs 22.2%

Operating expenses up 15% to 35.8 million. This isn’t an apples to apples comparison because in q3 2017 they spent 9.1 million to buy back stock from some officers. If you account for that then expenses are up 57% mostly in R&D and S&M to develop LUNAR, OMNI, and FDA approval for 360. The truth probably lies somewhere closer to the 57% number.

Net loss of 24.7million q3 2018 vs 28.7 million q3 2017.

270 million dollars in the bank.
No major debt but convertible preferred stock

Conference call notes
Demand for omni and 360 has exceeded their expectations

“ In terms of pricing, we mentioned our Medicare pricing based on LCD which is $3,500 for Guardant360 and pricing under NCD I think still is to be determined after we get FDA approval.
Helmy Eltoukhy
Maybe if I can add. I believe we are the only Company that liquid biopsy with formal Medicare coverage. Secondly, we also have very good progress with the private payers for our product test……, because as you remember, the pricing is set by essentially the median of the private payer rates. And so, we believe we’ve really done a lot of the groundwork that’s required to achieve good pricing in the future once you we do get FDA approval.

Questions about hospitals doing the testing in their lab vs sending to guardant
“we’re fairly agnostic to the question of centralization or decentralization. What’s important for us is that essentially our testing platform is ubiquitous.”

In regards to Omni

“biopharma business in this – especially in the clinical development area is prone to wider ups and downs business, lumpiness of those programs and the fact that some of the revenue is recognized on milestones achieved. So, while we are gratified, we don’t want you to get too carried away in terms of thinking that it’s an upward slope of that rate every quarter into the future.”

My take

First the bad. This is an incredibly competitive industry with some serious heavy weights competing to develop a commercially viable liquid biopsy product. GH is a young company that hasn’t proven they can be the next great thing. They aren’t profitable, they are losing money at a pretty rapid rate and will probably continue to do so for a while. The company has a market cap of 3.5 billion with a projected revenue 82 -84 million. That gives them a pretty astounding EV/S of 38!!! Even if they smash their estimates they will still have an EV/S in the 30 range.

Now the good. They are the major player right now. Grail is well funded but doesn’t have a commercial product, other companies have a foot in the door but for very specific tests. Many have gone down in flames. GH is doing it and getting money for it. If they get a pan-cancer FDA approval that means that they will see a massive surge in testing. If the FDA approval goes through then medicare will pay for the test which will also massively increase their testing. What they have been doing will seem like peanuts. If their NILE test also shows non-inferiority then GH will be off to the races to show non-inferiority in other cancers. LUNAR 1 and 2 have the potential to be huge. I imagine this is a hard problem though because nobody knows what to do with super early cancer detection but GH is going to have SOOOO much data.
On the financial side, they have plenty of money to run this company for a few years. Margins are going the right way, expenses aren’t climbing as fast as revenue despite GH having many irons in the fire. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the company get hammered at some point, but if the above stuff goes their way then a 3.5 billion market cap will be small. GH figures they have a 35 billion market to go after. At the moment the only thing that matters is they have enough cash to run the business. What matters is that they get FDA approval, good study data, then we start worrying about the financials. I opened a 3% position.

P.S. I’m sure we have some oncologists around, would love to have you folks weigh in.

Thanks to the Fool for the idea on GH.

-E

46 Likes

44% is high… False neg rate looks like 5-10% browsing pubmed.

Guardant looks interesting, but I have a hard time betting against ILMN, particularly when I talked up GRAIL over the spring/summer.

2 Likes

44% what? Sensitivity in detecting cancers?

Exact sciences has sensitivity in the nineties and it’s stock price is being hampered because of potential threats of liquid biopsy testing companies that all seem to be around the corner. However none of them have the same accuracy as exact’s cologuard test which is done by stool sample. But they all promise lower prices. The tests are specific to certain cancers, in the case with exact and potential competitors, it is only for colon cancer.

At the same time, exact is working on a liquid biopsy test for lung cancer and showing promising results in early trials.

So that brings up the questions I have. Why no interest in exact when they are already building infrastructure and coloirguard sales are providing them resources?

Also do these liquid biopsy test have to be developed/approved for every single type of cancer? Ie you can’t just use these tests for breast cancer if it’s only designed for lung cancer?

I could not find what kind of cancers guardians tests on their website. Is it any and all cancers?

Why guardiant over the competition as you state there are a lot expected over time.

5 Likes

Exact sciences has sensitivity in the nineties and it’s stock price is being hampered because of potential threats of liquid biopsy testing companies that all seem to be around the corner. However none of them have the same accuracy as exact’s cologuard test which is done by stool sample…So that brings up the questions I have. Why no interest in exact when they are already building infrastructure and cologuard sales are providing them resources?

Hi 12x, you must be kidding, aren’t you? Cologuard requires that you, the patient, collect a stool sample in a box at home, package it up, and seal it, and send it back to the company. A liquid biopsy is a simple blood draw. That’s like asking why is no one interested in a horse and buggy when they have sports cars.

Saul

4 Likes

Yes, but collecting a stool sample is a LOT more pleasant than having a colonoscopy.

2 Likes

I’m not sure that I can help, but my bother in law is the head Pathologist at Cedars here in Los Angeles.

If there are any questions that you have that he might be able to answer please let me know and I’ll pass them on to him.

Chris

4 Likes

Cologuard has a better success rate with lower false positives than blood test methods being developed. So it’s really the only alternative to a colonoscopy right now.

My question is this a “winner take all” where the best liquid biopsy product will be the go to standard for any and all cancer types. Or it has to be tested/approved for every cancer type. It sounds like the latter, which fragments the industry and allows for more winners in the space, at least at first.

Exas is working on both lung and liver cancer liquid biopsy tests. And already has an engaged Salesforce.

2 Likes

44% is the percentage of tissue biopsies that they weren’t able to complete genotyping on. This can happen for any number of reasons, wrong tissue, not enough tissue, etc. So basically someone went through the process I described above for a biopsy and then weren’t able to get genotyping which is important for targeting/tailoring therapy and prognosis.

re: 12x,
So that brings up the questions I have. Why no interest in exact when they are already building infrastructure and cologuard sales are providing them resources?
I think exact science is an interesting company and I have been interested in investing in them. I didn’t see the same potential for them as Guardant. I don’t know EXAS as well but here are my thoughts. Cologuard is a great product but I don’t see gastroenterologists ordering cologuard, colonoscopies are a huge money maker for them. Also, colonoscopies can treat, not just diagnose. Don’t get me wrong, I think they have a good product but with more limitations. In their pipeline they have some interesting products, liver ca disease monitoring pancreatic ca etc but each of those is going to require lots of study. GH on the other hand is going for a pan-cancer (all cancer) genotype testing. This panel of 73 genes help clinicians choose which chemo/immuno therapeutic agents to choose as well as can help with diagnosis. Lunar 1 and 2 have the potential to be huge. There are huge numbers of people who have had cancer that would like a good test to know if they truly are in remission. I think Early detection is a harder nut to crack because we just don’t know what to do with those Data. Having said that, data is going to be huge. Guardant is going to have a massive database to mine for clinical insights. Anyways, long story short. Guardant already has a commercially viable product with a much larger potential marketshare.

Also do these liquid biopsy test have to be developed/approved for every single type of cancer? Ie you can’t just use these tests for breast cancer if it’s only designed for lung cancer? There is a mix here. I think they will need to do a non-inferiority trial for whatever the gold standard is for each diagnosis. But that is to use 360 to diagnose without doing a biopsy. They are hoping for a pan-cancer approval to for tumor profiling. However once/if they have FDA approval and Medicare coverage the flood gates will open. Already something like 28% of clinicians were using 360 for diagnosis and never doing a biopsy in a survey they sent out. This is without FDA approval or medicare coverage.

I could not find what kind of cancers guardians tests on their website. Is it any and all cancers?
Yes, all for therapy of choice

Why guardiant over the competition as you state there are a lot expected over time.

guardant because they already have a product that is proven and hopefully FDA approved here soon. Don’t underestimate that the pharmaceutical industry is using OMNI to develop agents to treat Cancer. Guardant will already be able to test for whatever gene they use and just move that into their 360 product.

A wise person emailed me and said I should consider waiting a little longer next time after the Fool does a stock write up before I post about the company here. I think this person is absolutely correct. I should have waiting longer, my apologies to MF. I would be remiss if I didn’t say that stock adviser and rule breakers are great places for stock ideas. They are well worth the very inexpensive subscription price.

all the best,
Ethan

11 Likes

Hmmm…

https://www.highya.com/cologuard-test-reviews

3 Likes

You know, reading that description of the test, it sounds a bit like a solution in search of a problem.

Rich

1 Like

A test with a 90% accuracy is a viable alternative to more invasive techniques, since they aren’t 100% either. A test with a 40% accuracy is no better than a guess or a screening technique for further examination.

2 Likes

Thank you. Yes this is definitely an interesting company and they do have a first mover advantage.

My only concern is competing with grail if they are owned by illumina, the same company that makes the sequencers you use.

It seems like bad taste to compete with your customers, which is probably why illumina spun grail off and now have a minority ownership.

I forgot it was a recent newsletter recommendation so went back and read it. The way I read the article Is they will be competing with illumina but that is not the case. They will be competing with a company illumina has a minority interest in which I think is a big difference. And perhaps eventually illumina would not own grail at all if they were to go public. This alleviates having to compete with illumina’s superior resources and adding features into its sequencers guardiant would like to charge for.

So I think that’s worth pointing out, as mentioned in this article.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/10/31/gra…

The article also mentions Freenome. They along with grail seem to be working to use machine learning similar to guidant.

So yes, there is competition, but so do just about all other industries out there. And guardiant is right here in front of us with a lead.

1 Like

Also, colonoscopies can treat, not just diagnose. Don’t get me wrong, I think they have a good product but with more limitations.

Limitations which are recognized. The real issue here is that there are a fair number of people who should be getting colonoscopies, but don’t because it is an unpleasant procedure … with probably a worse rep than reality. If Cologuard means that lots more people get scanned and potential problems found, that is a really big plus, especially since early detection means easy treatment. People with a history of polyps are not candidates for Cologuard and need to have regular colonoscopies, which includes the minor treatment sufficient for many cases.

If other liquid biopsy products can achieve a similar level of accuracy, they are very attractive as screening tools for early detection. If their accuracy is similar to a biopsy, then they can be similarly attractive as less invasive alternative tools. But, they are unlikely to replace more direct techniques when indicated.

If they get a pan-cancer FDA approval that means that they will see a massive surge in testing. If the FDA approval goes through then medicare will pay for the test which will also massively increase their testing. What they have been doing will seem like peanuts.

My big question would be how much overlap will Guardant have with what Foundation Medicine is doing?

bulwnkl brought FMI to the board almost exactly a year ago when it was still a bit below $50/share, I think, and it was subsequently bought out for over $130 if I remember right. The impending FDA/Medicare approval was the near-term catalyst that was mentioned with bulwnkl recognizing that Roche was likely to eventually buy the rest of FMI.

Here is a link to the first post about FMI for quick reference:
https://discussion.fool.com/fmi-a-call-worth-considering-3289142…

And the follow-on just after the Medicare/Medicaid approval:
https://discussion.fool.com/fmi-what-comes-next-32909631.aspx?so…

Does Guardant do basically the same thing as FMI? Do they screen for the same types of cancers? Will they be competing head-to-head or would they be complimentary tests? Is FMI maybe extremely far ahead of Guardant or is there room in the market for both?

-volfan84
no positions, but did make some money with some FMI call options thanks to bulwnkl

It does appear they are going after the same thing, liquid biopsies.

https://www.foundationmedicine.com/genomic-testing/foundatio…

It appears there will be many players in this $25 billion market.

My last colonoscopy they removed a polyp that had potential to become cancerous.
Not sure I’d want to gamble on any other method.

4 Likes

Speaking to Saul’s comment, all Australians are sent a free kit when they reach 50 to screen for bowel cancer. The kit requires individuals to send back a stool sample for testing.

They have serious challenges getting people to complete and return the sample. Personally I think this is just a generational issue, as those of my era are less likely to stick their head in the sand re health issues and are less prudish about topics like this.

Anyway the point is, these guys will have serious challenges getting people to send these samples in. Even if it were free and landed in people’s mailboxes with no effort.

2 Likes

MoneySlob, because you have a positive history of polyps, you are no longer eligible for Cologuard. I’m in the same position.

mayhaps we are straying a little bit from discussing growth stocks, GH and competing investments? :slight_smile: Perhaps you guys could take your polyps to an offline conversation.

https://discussion.fool.com/monday-morning-rules-of-the-board-34…

thanks!

4 Likes

It’s an interesting company with an exciting and promising idea but way too speculative for me as an extremely early stage biotech. It’s basically a lottery ticket.

2 Likes