Hacked?

A friend who texts me daily just sent me a WhatsApp message which I knew was not from her. She just confirmed she never sent it. I did not click on the link and deleted the chat.
At which end could we have been hacked and what should I do to enhance my security? Thx.

Likely she got hacked as the message was from her. You did the right thing. Deleting the message means nothing was likely loaded onto your phone (that is what that message was to do). Your friend needs to have her phone scanned for scam (etc) malware. If she does not know how, take it to a phone or electronics store that can do it for her (no idea what is in your area). You can have your phone checked as well–to verify it is clean. No idea on cost, but it should not be a major expense.

1 Like

Thanks, Jerry, never heard of having a phone checked to see if it is clean. Apple Store or elsewhere?

If you phone is an Apple iPhone, those are pretty secure.

If you want to Reset you iPhone, here is the path.

Settings>General>Transfer or Reset iPhone>Erase All Content and Settings

This process will restore the phone to the condition it has when it left the factory with the possible exception a newer version of iOS will be installed.

If you trust WhatsApp, that will be part of the system when you Restore. The WhatsApp software will be a fresh download, but any data from the WhatApp system will be whatever they have in their system.

If you do not trust WhatsApp, you should delete WhatsApp from your iPhone and make another backup before you Reset your phone. Then your Restore will not have WhatsApp.

2 Likes

A friend who texts me daily just sent me a WhatsApp message which I knew was not from her. She just confirmed she never sent it. I did not click on the link and deleted the chat.
At which end could we have been hacked and what should I do to enhance my security? Thx.

SHE should be changing the password on that account ASAP, and checking other accounts for signs of hacking. If she finds any such signs, or is a bit paranoid, she should change passwords on all financial and social-media accounts - and maybe others as well.

Note that “financial accounts” includes all accounts that are allowed to debit her bank accounts - every account that has a saved bank account number or credit card number on file. That can include non-obvious things like the Google play store, the local electric utility, an online tea shop…

YOU don’t have as much to worry about. You just received a message. If simply receiving a message is a security risk, WhatsApp should be shut down until that’s fixed and client software replaced - because the pre-fix version should be incompatible with the post-fix servers.

1 Like

And then there are such informative sites as this:

How to Hack WhatsApp: 7 BEST WhatsApp Hacking Apps in 2022
Last Updated:May 4, 2022

This review explains how to hack WhatsApp and compares the top WhatsApp Hacking Apps to help you select the best app for hacking WhatsApp:

https://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/whatsapp-hacking-apps/

This review explains how to hack WhatsApp and compares the top WhatsApp Hacking Apps to help you select the best app for hacking WhatsApp:

Seems to me, then, that the real hack here is convincing you to install WhatsApp. Sounds like a good app to avoid, if you ask me.

–Peter <==doesn’t have WhatsApp on any of his devices, and probably won’t ever

2 Likes

A good reason to use Signal?

Thx all. I increased security my end and passed relevant info on.

Appreciate all the advise. Many thanks.

Also, when you get an email like this from a friend, it could just be a spoofed email address. Someone gets real email addresses and sends emails from that email address but it isn’t really from that person. No risk to you if you delete it…doc

https://www.proofpoint.com/us/threat-reference/email-spoofin…

3 Likes

In particular, I get these from time to time with the name of a person I know and correspond with from time to time, but the e-mail address is something I have never seen before. Most of these contain a URL and some vague message like “I meant to send this to you earlier”. Click delete.

1 Like

…and this is “the thing”; if you’ve never had a PayPal acct, for example, and you get a PayPal Email… simple math. It’s all in how one “manages” ones data. It also helps if you have a little self control over what you “sign up for” or the links you click on. I see very little of this anymore.

Does anyone have limits anymore?

[ww.knowsaboutlimits.pl](http://ww.knowsaboutlimits.pl)

2 Likes