iPhone 11 message

DW’s iphone 11 is not happy. She gets the message “Iphone Storage Full”, yet when I go to memory management in Settings, only half of its 64 Gb is used ~30 Gb is free…

I’ve activated iCloud for photos, I deleted many unused apps, she’s deleted a lot of her Photos, I emptied Photo’s Recently Deleted folder, cleared Safari’s cache area, rebooted several times, she’s on the latest iOS version…

I tried several help websites, but with half the memory unused, it’s just not making a lot of sense…

weco
(we used t have an Apple User Group here, but…)

1 Like

How close are you to a Genius Bar?

Taking it to a Genius would be my first suggestion. My second one is what they may suggest.

Back it up and restore it to factory settings. The question after that is do you then restore it from your back up that may be corrupted, or do you rebuild everything that was on it manually? Both are time consuming. The second is also tedious.

She gets the message “Iphone Storage Full”

I have an iPhone 13 and the past two weeks I’ve been receiving emails from Apple telling me my iCloud is almost full but not to worry because for only $.99/mo I can have that issue taken care of.

Perhaps this is a marketing ploy? But what do I know?

Regards,

ImAGolfer

1 Like

Taking it to a Genius would be my first suggestion. My second one is what they may suggest.

Aye, that’s about where I’m at as well… We have our local Verizon store closer, is another thought, the Apple store/Genius crew are ~25 miles, N or S on 101, a coin flip, altho the South store (Larkspur, CA, has easier parking…

Fresh backup, Factory reset, restore, indeed a long process… Holding off unless it’s the last chance…

Haven’t looked at it this morning, see what the day brings… An earlier episode wouldn’t let her update her apps, but I did manage that last evening… Trouble free otherwise…

Thanks for the inspiration(s)!

weco

I went to the 200 Gb iCloud level, needed it for the Logitech doorbell/camera Home use, it doesn’t count against the space, but needs the room to play I guess… DW is using very little of her 50 Gb space…

Other cloud storage is handy, too, Reunion, my best genealogy program, uses Dropbox, I think there’s another related to Office 365, OneDrive another space… Creative Cloud another…

Should spend some time seeing what is what… Another project…

…go to “settings”–> “app store” and enable “offload unused apps”…

…keeps data but gets rid of a slew of apps you never, or rarely use…

…if, on a rare occasion you do access the app, it just downloads it in a few seconds and you’re up and running it again…

…also, some apps, especially “DJI Fly” my drone app, stores a MOUNTAIN of stuff on the iPhone…

…Facebook does the same…

…delete them, then reinstall the apps clears out loads of space…(be sure to have videos/photos from photo apps backed up, of course)…

Sadly, have done all that, what is confusing is how the memory usage for Apps, Photos, System, Other is about only 30 Gb, so half the memory of a 64 Gb iPhone 11, so lots of free space/ I’d expect various cache files to be in that ‘Other’ space, or if additional space was used, needed, that area would expand… but it’s really a pretty small part of the graphic memory bar…

DW & phone are across town now so I can’t check on the memory at the moment…

All good ideas, it’s surprising how much we gather over time, but eventually we settle in on a few favorites… I offloaded a bunch off my 11 Pro Max, but I haven’t had the tight memory issue, it’s a 256 Gb jobber… Next on for DW will also go for more memory…

I think one reason I have been receiving the “running out of iCloud space” is because I just bought a new iPad to replace my ancient one. During the process of setting it up there is a feature where you can use your iPhone to transfer all of your setting over to the iPad. I used that feature and I’m guessing that may have added to the storage issues.

ImAGolfer

I get similar messages occasionally whenever I try to sync a new movie onto my iPhone from my Mac, and then I go and check and find that there’s a significant amount of unspecified data (Documents and Data or some such thing) stored on it. A lot of cached data?

Most of the time, I unsync all my media, then I go through iPhone storage in Preferences and see if there’s anything else I can delete, e.g. I find that sometimes media (music, videos) get stored on my iPhone that the Mac Finder isn’t aware of. It’s like stuff got synced to the iPhone and then lost track of, and that stuff gets stuck there. I sometimes think it’s stuff I downloaded directly from iTunes, but I almost never download straight from iTunes, preferring to go through my Mac.

I can usually force-delete those items from the iPhone directly.

If that doesn’t work, and if I have time, I’m not averse to backing up my iPhone to my Mac and then restoring from backup. That extra stuff doesn’t seem to be included in the backup, so it doesn’t get put back.

-awlabrador

3 Likes

Interesting, I don’t download movies onto my own iPhone, but my DW might have, maybe even accidentally, will take a look…

I read through the thread but didn’t see mention of my default universal cure. So…

Power down and restart.

Always worth a try. Sometimes it even helps.

Been there, done that, repeatedly…

However, I’ nit hearing any grumbling today, maybe it just had to sort itself out… Fingers crossed…

What I want to hear is: “Trouble cleared while testing.”, but…

Well, when I look in DW’s Settings, the error flag is still flying, no issues, just odd…

I found this…doc

https://www.wikihow.com/Clear-iPhone-Memory

Hmmm, a bit dated, the Home button is long gone on the 11’s…

Here’s something from the Apple community…doc

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251198411