Hearing loss, hearing aides, & dementia

Hearing loss has been linked to dementia.
https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2021/hearing-loss-and-the-demen….
If you have hearing loss, you have a greater chance of developing dementia, according to a 2020 Lancet commission report that lists hearing loss as one of the top risk factors for dementia.

Brain strain and social isolation

Hearing loss can make the brain work harder, forcing it to strain to hear and fill in the gaps. That comes at the expense of other thinking and memory systems. Another possibility: Hearing loss causes the aging brain to shrink more quickly. A third possibility is that hearing loss leads people to be less socially engaged, which is hugely important to remaining intellectually stimulated. If you can't hear very well, you may not go out as much, so the brain is less engaged and active.

The FDA’s decision to allow over the counter sales of hearing aides may be a major factor in lowering the incidence of dementia. Given the huge costs of memory care for dementia sufferers, this could both improve people’s lives and save the health system billions of dollars.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/historic-hearing-aid-ruling-f…
Prior to the ruling, the average price for a new model of hearing aid in 2022 was approximately $3,000, according to the Hearing Tracker, and overall prices ranged between $1,500 to $6,000. Most insurance companies and traditional Medicare do not cover hearing aids, and only a medical examination with an audiologist could lead to the consumer using a hearing aid.

OTC hearing aids will now likely cost $250 to $1,000 per device while consumers could save nearly $2,800, according to the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP).

6 Likes

Yep. Dad was a healthy country lawyer who was able to practice law and win bridge tournaments until he was about 85. But anxiety, insomnia and hearing loss eventually led to dementia which made a living h3ll of his last several years.

I am a relatively fit 66 year old thanks to early retirement, long walks, mountain hikes and dumbbell workouts. But hearing loss and insomnia are my nemeses.

Top of the line blue tooth hearing aids have been transformational for me but challenging. I often say, “what did you say?” and then I realize that I heard it the first time. It simply took time for my brain to translate it. It felt like English had become a foreign language.

Hearing engages the brain more than I realized and hearing loss atrophies the brain more than I realized.

20 Likes

I often say, “what did you say?” and then I realize that I heard it the first time. It simply took time for my brain to translate it.

Word.

I now realize it takes longer for my brain to process things. My Dad was about 85 when he said to me “I’m not as sharp as I used to be.” The truth is that we had noticed it for years, but he had happy times and a productive existence for another 6 or 7 years, and a really crappy one for another 2.

It’s very weird to say “What did you say” and then find that you actually heard it, your brain just hadn’t processed it as quickly as you are used to. Nothing to be done about, apparently, but it’s a pretty lousy accoutrement to getting older.

6 Likes

Bad news for me, who has been suffering tinnitus and hearing loss for over 50 years.

I know you’re all thinking “Well, that explains a lot!” :slight_smile:

However, I like to believe I’m fighting dementia via my natural curiosity about nearly everything. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t learn new things. I have more hobbies than time (or, for that matter, money), so I am constantly busy.

But I am also sadly aware how much conversation I miss. My involuntary reflex to someone talking to me is “What did you say?”, even though as noted by others, my brain sometimes processes it, albeit slowly. Occasionally, when I respond to my wife, she’ll look at me strangely (in my defense, she often looks at me strangely). My brain mistranslates what she asked so my answer is nonsensical.

Closed caption is a godsend.

Memo to self: I need to wear my hearing aids more often.

Oh well. Growing old isn’t for sissies.

AW

15 Likes

Bad news for me, who has been suffering tinnitus and hearing loss for over 50 years.

I know you’re all thinking “Well, that explains a lot!” :slight_smile:

Oh well. Growing old isn’t for sissies.

AW

Tell me about it, just turned 75 and suffer with a wife who remembers and reminds/corrects me of every detail of everything I’ve ever said or done over the past almost 50 years!

The only good part is that as retired military DVA pays for my hearing aids and gives me a monthly tax free indexed pension.

Got a call this morning, I finally have a rough estimate on an appointment with the doc for Cataracts … roughly 3 months!

I wrote it on my calender before I could forget it.

Tim

Starting wearing hearing aids about 10 years ago. Costco. All the time except in the pool and shower and at night.

Still have trouble with female voices.

Yes, closed captions are the reason I can watch TV. Can’t understand much of the dialog otherwise.

You can get a closed caption device for movie theaters. Most movies are closed captioned.

Probably definitely didn’t help that I fired thousands of rounds of high power surplus ammo as a teenager growing up. Dad was a gun collector and after WW2, many military arms from many countries were inexpensive war surplus and the ammo was equally as cheap. Hearing protection wasn’t very good in the 50s. Have a big ‘notch’ at 1000 Hz - typical of ‘loud noise’ explosions such as firearm noise.

Of course, any boomers attended one too many LOUD, incredibly loud concerts where band competed to make the highest decibel level possible for fans. Continues to this day.

You can go Deep Ellum, and the noise is LOUD outside closed doors along the streets. Crazy loud noise inside vibrating the walls, tables.

Hearing aid prices should plummet with the new rules.

t

Tell me about it, just turned 75 and suffer with a wife who remembers and reminds/corrects me of every detail of everything I’ve ever said or done over the past almost 50 years!

Ditto. I pretend I didn’t hear her because of my tinnitus.

My wife and I have had 3 years of wedded bliss.

Our 45th anniversary will be this November.

Got a call this morning, I finally have a rough estimate on an appointment with the doc for Cataracts … roughly 3 months!

Wishing you nothing but success, Tim! I had my eyes done in June. I forgot how blue the sky is. And what white looks like. Unfortunately, now my lawn looks like crap. I still need readers, but anything past 5 feet is better than 20-20. I love it!!!

Next up; a chip planted in my hand so I can drive my Tesla without keys. Well, I need a Tesla first. But one step at a time.

AW

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2022/08/24/metro-d…

4 Likes