Minimizing "The Skim" in Health Care

F.D.A. Clears Path for Hearing Aids to be Sold Over the Counter
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/16/health/fda-hearing-aids.h…

The agency’s action opens the door to cheaper, more accessible devices without a prescription or medical exam.

The changes could upend the market, which is dominated by a relatively small number of manufacturers, and make it a broader field with less costly, and perhaps, more innovative designs. Current costs for hearing aids, which tend to include visits with an audiologist, range from about $1,400 at Costco to roughly $4,700 elsewhere.

Federal officials estimated $2,800 in savings on the cost of a pair of hearing aids. Brian Deese, White House director of the National Economic Council, said making the change was a “top priority” for the president.

intercst

4 Likes

Current costs for hearing aids, which tend to include visits with an audiologist, range from about $1,400 at Costco to roughly $4,700 elsewhere.

Federal officials estimated $2,800 in savings on the cost of a pair of hearing aids. Brian Deese, White House director of the National Economic Council, said making the change was a “top priority” for the president.

intercst

While mine are free to me (paid for by DVA) I managed to snipe a peek at the paperwork and DVA gets ~35% off for being a really big customer. With a couple of Airforce bases and a huge East Coast Navy base within an hour’s drive they get a lot of business from them.

The #1 game changer for me actually wearing the darn things was “rechargeable” internal battery. Those stupid tiny batteries that lasted only a few hours and required surgeon’s fingers to change ensured they sat in a drawer rarely used for months and even years. Now I leave them in their case that is plugged into a USB port and they are ready to go.

Speaking of game changer, when COVID hit I would get up in the morning look at Glasses, Mask and Hearing aids … “choose one” as taking off the mask would shed the hearing aids and leaving it on would fog up the glasses.

Oh, Amazon.ca has been selling cheap hearing aids for years in Canada. I just checked and they run in price from C$59.99 - C$259.99.

Amazon.com also sells them though they mention a shipping charge and tax to ship them to Canada.

Tim

1 Like

… look at Glasses, Mask and Hearing aids … “choose one” as taking off the mask would shed the hearing aids and leaving it on would fog up the glasses.

I sewed up my mask myself, so it’s a bit larger than the “JC” made ones. My glasses are an older style, with larger lenses than what everyone is told is fashionable today. So, I can tuck the top edge of the mask under my glasses, so the mask seals around my nose better, and my glasses don’t fog up.

Steve