Here it is! The end of the month summary!

Well I’m going to give my end of the month summary a couple of days early as it’s easier to do on the weekend than on a Tuesday evening when March actually ends.

For comparison with the month before, here’s where I stood Feb 28, a month ago. You’ll actually be amazed how much consistency there is from month to month. Note: This is the month before (end of February) . I finished February up 14.5% year-to-date. The S&P 500 was up 2.3%. That meant I was up 12.2% on the Index. I don’t really care beans about the index, but MF uses it as a measuring device. I care how I am doing in absolute numbers.

My big four were at roughly (in percentage of my entire portfolio):

SWKS at 14.4%
BOFI at 13.8 %
CELG at 11.5%
SKX at 11.1%

Their trailing PE’s were SWKS - 22.7, and BOFI – 19.9. I had trimmed CELG because of a PE of 32.7 to keep the position from getting too big. SKX had a PE of 22 and I had actually added to it after the great earnings.

My middle-size positions, ranged in size form 7.35% to 4.35%, in this order:

CRTO
AIOCF
WAB
XPO
POL
SYNA
FB

My small positions, running from 2.80% to 1.35%, were

EPAM
UBNT
INBK
PSIX
AMAVF

Finally I had a tiny position, 0.45%, in JCOM.

My top four positions (with 50% of my portfolio) had an average PE under 25. I had five positions with PE’s under 20, five more with PE’s under 30, and an eleventh just over 30. Overall, I considered this a relatively conservative, unrisky portfolio. This was especially true considering the earnings growth it was producing. (My stocks earnings were up about 70% from the year before, on average, in the December quarter).

Now the summary for the end of the current month, March. I finished March up 15.6% on the year. The S&P 500 was up 0.1%, so I’m ahead of the S&P by 15.5% after 3 months. Here are my current positions:

My big four from last month are still my biggest positions. I trimmed SWKS when it went over 15%, then again when it went over 16%, and bought back in the big decline last Weds and Thurs, and had to sell some on Fri when it bounced all the way back because I would have been over 17% with my new purchases. This is just adjusting around the edges of my position, dropping the position size from 16.4% down to 15.8%, etc. It’s not a significant change in the position. Here they are with their percentage of my portfolio, trailing PE, and percent growth of EPS last quarter

SWKS at 16.5% - trailing PE was 27 - rate of EPS growth was 75%
BOFI at 14.3 % - trailing PE was 20 - rate of EPS growth was 38%
SKX at 11.5% - trailing PE was 24 - rate of EPS growth was 104%
CELG at 10.9% - trailing PE was 32 - rate of EPS growth was 34%

SKX and CELG switched places but they were only 0.4% apart last month so this signifies nothing. CELG is at a PE over 30 so I’ve trimmed it several times to keep it from getting too big a position.

Note the following:
My big four now make up about 53% of my total portfolio. This is up a little from 50% a month ago in spite of my trimming. They are high conviction though, and this percent doesn’t bother me.
They are in four entirely different fields: microchips, banking, retail clothing, biopharmaceutical. This wasn’t by design, but it sure spreads the risk.
Their average trailing PE is just under 26, which is fine with me.
Their average rate of growth of EPS in the December quarter was about 63%.

Now we drop down again to my middle-size positions, ranging in size from 6.7% to 4.0%, in this order.

XPO
CRTO
WAB
AIOCF
SYNA
FB
AMBA

POL is gone. AMBA has been added. The other six were middle size positions last month and still are.

My small positions, running from 2.9% to 1.9%, are

EPAM
UBNT
INBK
PSIX
SNCR

The first four are still in the same order as last month. My smallest position, AMAVF, has been dropped. SNCR has been added.

Since I began in 1989, my entire position has grown to 284.9 times what I started with. That’s not 284.9%. It’s 284.9 times! Basically a 285-bagger on the entire position, not on any one stock, but on the entire position. That’s the power of compounding an average 30% growth annually, and that’s what investing is all about. Not holding on to individual stocks forever so you can eventually say you have a 10-bagger or a 20-bagger in an individual stock while large numbers of your stocks have gone to hell and you are still holding on to them. Or hanging on to what once was a good stock even after it has flattened out, so you can still brag that you have a 30-bagger in your portfolio. Right now, I don’t have more than a two-bagger on any of my current stocks, but who cares? It’s what my entire portfolio has done that counts.

You may wonder “How is that possible? Even Buffet doesn’t make 30% compounded.” But Buffet was managing tens and hundreds of billions of dollars. It’s like maneuvering a battleship instead of a speed boat. Or one of those super oil tankers that is three football fields long. Buffet had to buy whole companies, for gosh sake. And he never invested in any technology companies. And mutual fund managers who do well one year have money pour in, and the next year they have to manage ten times as much money, which is a whole new ballgame. And they also have all kinds of restrictions on what they can and can’t buy. I had a lot of advantages.

If you are new to the board and want to find out how I did it, and how you can do it yourself, I’d suggest you read posts #4 through #8 at the beginning of the board, and especially the FAQ/Knowledgebase that Neil keeps for us, currently post #6412, which is a compilation of words of wisdom. There are just a few things I might change now. I said that 25 to 28 stocks were the most you should try to keep track of, but I have cut that down now for myself to 15 to 20. I currently have 17. That means that my biggest positions are bigger (and my smaller ones too) and it lets me concentrate more in my highest conviction stocks. I also have made a major effort to eliminate or reduce my positions in illiquid stocks.

Hope this has been helpful.

Saul

52 Likes

Thank you once again, Saul, for generously sharing your end of the month positions.

This board is the most profitable board in the entire MF kingdom for those willing to learn from the most knowledgable investors.

Jim

2 Likes

Saul:

I’m taking an in depth look at your portfolio to see which gems I add to mine. According to Yahoo your stocks have P/E ratios ranging from 14.66 to 78.86, which works for me, except for XPO which has been losing money for three years. Why is XPO in your portfolio?

Denny Schlesinger

Why is XPO in your portfolio?

Denny, go to #4310 where I tell all about XPO. (There’s a thread of 10 posts after my long, long original one. I really like XPO, by the way, and it seems to like me as it’s steadily been going up since I bought it.

Saul

According to Yahoo your stocks have P/E ratios ranging from…

Denny, if you are going to invest your own hard earned money in a stock, never rely on Yahoo, or any other service, for the earnings or PE. Go to the investor relations website and quickly look at the last four earnings reports, and add the earnings up yourself. It won’t take more than 10 minutes (at most) and you can have faith in what you’ve got.

Saul

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing your progress and your investing philosophy. I’m going to do a fun exercise now and check how all my stocks are doing YTD. Then I want to talk more about PE and learn how to calculate growth rates. Thanks for the inspiration / education!

Karen

Denny, go to #4310 where I tell all about XPO.

Very helpful!

Thanks.

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like

Saul:

Thanks for the Yahoo advice and warning. I’m well aware of Yahoo’s problems which is why I prefaced my comment with “According to Yahoo.”

But Yahoo is also very helpful and, having used it – it seems for ever!, I’m very comfortable with their user interface. I created a Yahoo portfolio with the ticker symbols from your post and that becomes my base of operations (where I saw the P/E ratios). But when I actually research each stock I use multiple sources, not just Yahoo.

Thanks!

Denny Schlesinger

Denny, go to #4310 where I tell all about XPO.
Very helpful!

Glad you found it useful.

BTW, online is the fastest growing retail segment, not just Amazon but also with individual retailers like lululemon. That makes the last mile delivery a very interesting transportation segment which has to grow inline with online sales.

The Foolish article comments

Firstly, there are niches within third-party logistics. While XPO Logistics is the fourth-largest freight brokerage firm in the U.S. behind market leader C.H. Robinson, it is the largest domestic provider of last-mile logistics for heavy goods.

But heavy goods is not online retail sales so I wonder if it applies. In any case, as long as there is commerce there is transport.

In thread #4310 there is a reference to EXPD:

My son works for their competitor Expeditors International EXPD, they are not tech savvy at all. The stories he tells us make me wonder how the company stays in business at all. Looks like a competitor is coming to challenge them.

Here is how them compare:
http://softwaretimes.com/pics/expd-vs-xpo.gif

And how XPO compares to C.H. Robinson Worldwide (CHRW):
http://softwaretimes.com/pics/chrw-vs-xpo.gif

Nice pick!

Denny Schlesinger

Saul,

Would you mind to talk a little about the indicators you look for to decide when it’s time to exit due to size? You mentioned Apple being too large, so just wondering, I own DIS and SBUX, how would say it’s time to exit and enter something smaller? I don’t want to get caught up in the nostalgia of holding a company just because of who they are and how many bags I have so some additional thinking would be greatly appreciated.

Chad

Chad, I own SBUX and DIS and when I calculated their YTD changes, they both looked good!

SBUX – up 15.76% YTD

DIS – up 11.14% YTD

not too shabby.

Karen

2 Likes

Here are my results (this is the first time I have calculated them, oh boy!)

I used Vanguard’s beginning balances for the year plus what they are reporting as personal investment returns for the year.

We are coming out at 5.23% increase YTD. Yeah! I’m thrilled.

Here are my top 5 stocks:

AAPL – 7.6% of port – up 12.3 YTD
AFSI – 4.88% – down 0.18% YTD
FB – 4.89% – up 6.01% YTD
SWKS – 4.74% – up 12.36% YTD
DIS – 4.65% – up 11.14% YTD

I am so excited about this. I am so happy to be beating the market by a few points, wahoo!

Glad for this exercise.

My best sock was AMBA – up 35% YTD, but only a tiny fraction of my portfolio (I may have to change that)….

Also notable were Under Armor, up 16.57% and Starbucks, 15.76%

Cool stuff.
Karen

2 Likes

Saul,

Your impressive track record continues…

Do you have a ‘target’ financial goal you are trying to reach?

2nd question…I notice you only have one stock in Tom’s everlasting portfolio…I guess they weren’t good enough to pass your screening criteria for one reason or another…any thoughts or reasons why you haven’t purchased what he deems great forever stocks to hold?

Saul, Would you mind to talk a little about the indicators you look for to decide when it’s time to exit due to size? You mentioned Apple being too large, so just wondering, I own DIS and SBUX, how would say it’s time to exit and enter something smaller? I don’t want to get caught up in the nostalgia of holding a company just because of who they are and how many bags I have so some additional thinking would be greatly appreciated.

Chad, Good question. Let me try some answers off the top of my head.
First, Look at SKX. Their market cap is less than 1/20th of Nike’s so you can easily imagine it doubling and doubling again, and if Nike just rises 5% to 10% per year with the market, SKX will still be under 15% of their market cap. On the other hand, can you imagine NKE doubling and doubling again? It’s impossible. They already have most of the market.

Now to generalize that: If a company owns just 5% of a market, it has a lot of room to double and keep on doubling, especially if the market is growing too. If the company already has 80% of the market, all that it can grab is the other 20% of the market (which is unlikely, anyway). If a company has most of the market because it just invented the market and has first mover advantage, and the market is hardly penetrated, it has plenty of room to grow (think Apple 10 years ago and the first iPod/iPhone). If it’s an old market and is saturated, that’s a different story. (I haven’t followed Starbucks, which you asked about, and don’t know how saturated their market is, but my guess is that they would have been a better buy a number of years ago than they are now, and that the coffee shop market doesn’t have too many doubles left.)

Finally, there is the problem of big numbers. If you have a chain of 200 stores and you can add 50 a year, the first year you add 25%, but the same 50 stores only adds 20% the second year and 16.6% the third year, etc. To maintain the same growth rate, you have to add a larger number of stores each year, and you run out of places to put them.

If you have another kind of firm, with $100 million in sales, and double it, the next year you will need to add $200 million to maintain the same rate of growth, and $400 million the next year, and it soon becomes impossible, except in rare cases.

Apple is already the largest company in the world. Even they come out with an exciting new product, it has to be truly enormous to budge the dial significantly on sales. That’s not saying it’s sales won’t grow, but how many doubles can you imagine? Can you imagine even one? Over how many years? (all my computers and phones are Apple, I have nothing against the company by the way).

Hope this helps

Saul

8 Likes

Here are my results (this is the first time I have calculated them, oh boy!) I used Vanguard’s beginning balances for the year plus what they are reporting as personal investment returns for the year. We are coming out at 5.23% increase YTD. Yeah! I’m thrilled. I am so excited about this. I am so happy to be beating the market by a few points, wahoo! Cool stuff.

Hi Karen! Glad you are having so much fun, and doing well, too!

Saul

1st thank you for your generosity.
can you explain how you decide what % to assign to a stock in your portfolio? is it market cap, growth rate?
why did you sell POL? ( just point me to the post; i must have missed it)
why Amba now?

I have such fear of having such a concentrated portfolio; i have to work on that. Putting 4% of my portfolio into Amba now paralyses me with fear of what ifs.

I have Biogen. I have to calculate its earnings growth and see if it is flattening. if so may be i should get out and enter celg.This will be a good exercise. I can then take my profit and feel good that I am investing in something better. i have had a huge gain

thanks again
usha

as promised to myself i looked at BIIBs annual report at their website

NonGAAPEPS eps gr netincome growth free cash flow
09 4.12 1,195 909
10 5.15 25% 1,315 10% 1,452
11 5.90 14% 1,446 9 % 1,520
12 6.53 10% 1,567 8 % 1,625
13 8.96 37% 2,136 36% 2099

TTM EPS growth
4q14 12.57 16%
3q14 10.75 15%
2q14 9.30 11%
1q14 8.35 2%
4q13 8.13

what I gathered from this effort
-Slower growth than CELG; but is increasing
-at today’s price of 429.87 and the TTM earnings of 12.57, PE is 34
i am forgetting CELGs PE , I think similar.
-both have similar market cap

• not at all sure if I should trim my position in BIIB.

This is the 1st time I am doing this. Hope there are no mistakes
sorry for formatting
usha

1 Like

BIIB has what seems to be the lead candidate to treat patients that can not tolerate statins. I understand that market is worth in excess of 15 B. Something to consider. Recent strong moves based on their trials and presentations.

Rob

Now the summary for the end of the current month, March. I finished March up 15.6% on the year. The S&P 500 was up 0.1%, so I’m ahead of the S&P by 15.5% after 3 months. Here are my current positions:

Saul:

Congratulations on the great returns. As you and many others know, I hold a much more diversified portfolio (about 150 positions).

My returns as of Friday are:

Taxable

• me 9.3%
  • Fiona 9.9%
  • Anna 11.1%
    SEP/IRA
  • Funds 5.0%
  • Brokerage 6.2%

I’m happy with my returns, given that the S&P 500 is only up about 0.1%. Only a couple of days ago my Taxable returns were in the 14% - 15% range, so an arbitrary snapshot is a bit of a crapshoot.

I appreciate that you share your monthly returns, and will continue to contribute mine.

John

1 Like