Higher credit card rates are squeezing many consumers

At first, she hardly noticed.

Susan Scallan had bought furniture when she moved into housing for low-income seniors in Decatur three years ago. And then, while dealing with a health crisis, she used “retail therapy” to comfort herself with clothes and shoes.

Although she’s receiving some Social Security and working a $14-an-hour receptionist’s job, she doesn’t have enough for rent, food and also to pay off her credit card bills, too, so she carried some debt over from month to month.

“I didn’t even think about credit card rates going up, because everybody was only talking about the mortgage rates. And then, all of a sudden, my balances were so high, it just snuck up on me. Right now, I’m not charging anything.” She was maxed out.

Fuskie
Who has made a mistake if he carries any credit card balance other than under a promotional financing plan…

Premium Home Fool: Ask me a Foolish Question, I’ll give you a Foolish Response!
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), JFrog (FROG), Virgin Galactic (SPCE), Axon Technologies (AXON), Blackbaud (BLKB), StitchFix (SFIX)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disassociation: The views and statements of this post are Fuskie’s and are not intended to represent those of The Motley Fool or any other sane body
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post.
Fool Code of Conduct: The Motley Fool's Rules – Terms of Use & Conditions of Sale | The Motley Fool
Invitation: You are invited to interactively watch Motley Fool Live online television: https://www.fool.com/premium/live/
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!

1 Like