Home EV chargers

Wow! 2 tons? Is your garage as big as Jay Leno’s? :slight_smile:

Merry Christmas!

Mike

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, I did not know. So much to learn!

Reading just now says the software shows 100% when it’s 96% anyway (and also lies at the bottom end, giving you a few miles even when the gauge reads 0%. Ha!

Someone who seems to know says it isn’t Hyundai, it’s Li-on technology, and yes, charging to 80% is sufficient, unless it’s not (long commute or trip, too frequent charging) and likely a little better for it. Others say they’ve run hundreds of cycles at 100% and it doesn’t seem to matter. Ah well.

Worth knowing, thanks.

1 Like

Goofy I don’t doubt for a minute what you have heard. A few things I have come to believe after reading about “Lithium” batteries for over a decade.

If a Lithium battery really gets to zero volts i.e. totally discharged, they are bricked. That is one reason these batteries all have computer chips - to protect them. Indeed some chemistries can be charged regularly to/close-to 100% and they seem be bothered. I have found my iPads behave that way. Tesla has suggested not topping off since the first Model S. There is now a lot of evidence Tesla really knew what they were saying when then said 90% max unless leaving very soon – certainly sooner than say 5 hours. Now Tesla says 80%.

There is not just one kind or type of Lithium batteries. The term Lithium ion battery is about a broad as the term Printer Paper. Tesla for example has steadily changed in battery chemistry over the last 10 years. Initially it was to reduce the level of Cobalt. The Austin plant is making something called a lithium iron phosphate battery.

All this is to suggest - read the car manual and do what the manufacturer suggests.

One last bit of information – although I have not seen data, threre is general agreement that leaving a lithium battery for a long period (think more than a day) at a low state of charge is certainly not good and can be bad for battery life. With Teslas the general number mentioned is less than 10%.

1 Like

The owner’s manual does not address the charging in any way, except to say charging up to 80% will go fast, and from 80% to 100% will slow down “to protect the battery.” Unofficial sources say that when the dash reads 100% it isn’t actually 100%, there’s “safety headroom” programmed in so that your can never actually “overcharge” the battery.

One forum member, an avowed Hyundai tech, recommends charging the battery to 100% “at least once per month”, and never letting it go below 20% except in dire circumstance.

The official Hyundai videos (available on their site, YouTube, etc.) also do not address the issue except to say the same thing: charging to 80% will go fast, and from 80% to 100% much slower for battery health.

Anyway, good to know, even if the manufacturer skirts the issue because it’s not really relevant anymore to the lay owner, and that there are other opinions out there as well.

This is another way of saying you are wasting time (if it matters) going from 80% to 100% unless you really are soon leaving on a long trip with big gaps between chargers.

Also note that if you charge to 100% the charging circuitry won’t allow you to use the normal regenerative braking in some cars until the charge level drops ~5%-10%, again to protect the battery.

Mike

1 Like

No, it isn’t. Tesla gets their LFP batteries from CATL.

So far as I know, no 4680 LFP batteries are being made by anybody yet.

-IGU-

Reuters has published a piece saying 4680 LFP battery production by Tesla is the controlling factor in CyberTruck production. Currently at a rate for 24,000 trucks per year.

My following the plant has shown only castings for the 4680 structural battery packs.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/austin-we-have-problem-tesla-descends-into-battery-hell-2023-12-21/#:~:text=AUSTIN%2C%20Texas%2C%20Dec%2021%20(,is%20its%20pioneering%204680%20battery.

I think Tesla uses them in some vehicles already (some model Y, the Cybertruck, and the Semi).

They’re in some Chinese cars. Also called blades.

They’re in the Atto3 and other cars

None of these reference 4680 LFP batteries. As I said, nobody is making 4680 LFP batteries yet. All 4680 form factor cells use some other chemistry.

-IGU-

1 Like

Lithium Iron Phosphate. Maybe it is not the 4680; BYD calls it a Blade.

It is definitely not the older battery chemistry; it is in their vehicles, and they are in production, on the road, and some are even here in NZ.