How much is speech worth?

If true, a notable public speaker is being offered $100 million over five years, that comes to $9,615.38 an hour considering a 40 hour work week.

Cash		100,000,000.00
Years	 5	 20,000,000.00
Weeks	52	    384,615.38
Hours	40	      9,615.38
Minimum	15	        641.03

That’s 641 times more valuable than minimum wage.

No wonder there is war pro and con free speech.

The Captain

2 Likes

Captain,

Good thing you are not asking about the intrinsic value of Tucker’s speech. The intrinsic value is zip, nada, nothing at all.

3 Likes

Someone wants to pay $20M per year for someone who knowingly lies to his audience, and we’re calling this a win for free speech?

6 Likes

Yeah not just anything stupid is a win for freedom.

To you and to me. However, that is clearly not the case in the world at large.

DB2

3 Likes

Putin LOVES it. And he does NOT pay for it…

2 Likes

Yes, there is more than one opinion out there, there are more than two, one good and the other bad.

Diversity does matter! :wink:

The Captain

2 Likes

Important to know right from wrong. Important to know honest from dishonest. Important to know what will work for the US economy from what has failed for four decades.

No it is not simple.

People have been lied to for four decades about what will work. There is no evidence tax cuts have worked at all since 1981 to improve the US economy.

Tucker got his offer for Russia state broadcasting because he is so out there. Tucker would destroy most of his audience by cutting off their Social Security.

If you see value in that…yeah soap can be sold with him lying to seniors.

1 Like

The Captain seems to think this is all about “opinion” and “free speech”. Perhaps it’s because he doesn’t live here. Tucker being throw out of Fox Noise is all about Tucker lying. THIS ISN’T ABOUT OPINION.

This is an opinion: “Trump should have won in 2020”.

This is a fact: “Trump lost a fair election in 2020”.

This is a lie: “The election was stolen from Trump in 2020”.

If Tucker Carlson is your champion for ‘free speech’ Captain, well, geez…

8 Likes

Why do you bring up Tucker’s termination at Fox? My post is about how valuable a property Tucker Carlson is, to the tune of $20 million a year. Let me quote to refresh your memory:

Cash		100,000,000.00
Years	 5	 20,000,000.00
Weeks	52	    384,615.38
Hours	40	      9,615.38
Minimum	15	        641.03

That’s 641 times more valuable than minimum wage.

The Captain

2 Likes

How can someone who LIES to his audience, to the DETRIMENT of the country, be a valuable asset? And how can you apparently look up to him and to his job offer? This baffles me Captain. Seriously.

2 Likes

A war against Tucker Carlson is NOT a war against free speech. How can you know understand this?

1 Like

Ask the guy putting up the money.

I’m glad you included the word ‘apparently.’ You think I look up to him and to his job offer and that’s your problem.

Maybe it’s because your idea of free speech is flawed.

The Captain

4 Likes

The war is not against Tucker Carlson, it’s about free speech. Tucker Carlson is merely a minor skirmish. For all we know it could be a Murdoch family squabble.

The Captain

2 Likes

No. Its not. It’s a war against deliberate misinformation.

1 Like

Free speech means free to speak. “Misinformation” is neologism designed to restrict speech, to make it LESS FREE!

The Captain

4 Likes

No! It’s not! Spreading what are PROVEN LIES about our 2020 election IS NOT A FREE SPEECH ISSUE!

1 Like

Sure it is.

The counterspeech doctrine. Wiki tells us that counterspeech is “countering hate speech or misinformation by presenting an alternative narrative rather than with censorship”.

Justice Brandeis established it in his classic concurring opinion in Whitney v. California (1927) writing:

“If there be time to expose through discussion, the falsehoods and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence.”

DB2

4 Likes

Thank you!

The Captain

4 Likes

Well, it seems obvious to me, but clearly not everyone agrees.

DB2

3 Likes