What's it worth?

I tried to stop myself from posting this many times but this time…( as I owe much of my financial success to this board.)

Some of the recent developments and posts in Saul’s board is hard comprehend and trust; somewhat degenerating ( almost like the messages in the yahoo discussion boards.) It saddens me, that many of us who may have learned and earned so much from Saul is using this board as a stepping stone; a platform to venture into more lucrative channels ( mostly the newbie financial wizards on twitter.) There’s no dearth of financial wisdom on twitter ( specially ex post facto ). A few years back some of the sane voices I checked on twitter were @chamath, @naval etc. However, today you’ll find many guru’s spreading/sharing growth stock wisdom and investing (ad nauseam) perhaps learnt from this board! None of those bring any value perhaps except @chamath and @naval ( at-least to me).

If any of you care to check my history of posts in this board ( the only board that I post in MF and have been labeled as a Top Recommended Fool a few times.), I’ve laid out my perspectives from the point of view of a developer who has worked for two decades for some of the biggest names in the Software industry including MSFT. Around 2010, I was a pioneer in taking on-premises software to the cloud when SaaS wasn’t a household name ( trying to make sense if single tenant was better than multi tenant etc.) I was one of the guys who figured out how users of Microsoft active directory would use Azure Active directory ( which is being used by millions of users today.) Those were the times when it was so difficult to find a company to invest in the Cloud/SaaS space even if you wanted to. And OKTA happened to be one of those after many discussions/debates with some of my friends in the industry. Though I no longer hold OKTA today, it’s still one of my favorite.

The purpose of this post is to let you know that this board/Saul is special. I don’t have a Twitter account ( and don’t plan to create one ) but I assure to share with you my perspectives on the technology/SaaS space and what’s real vs the fluff.

My biggest holding today is CRWD and I’m happy to have posted this in October: https://discussion.fool.com/thanks-for-the-write-up-ethan-here39…

Let’s try to keep this board special by bringing in great insights, values, profits!

Cheers!

ronjonb

Long <CRWD, DDOG, ZM, DOCU, FSLY, NET, SHOP, PTON, SNOW > and some SPACs.

150 Likes

That’s a great post Ronjob.

I’ve actually had to learn how not to post on this board. I’m not a numbers guy, so I stay away from posting, but I do look at it on a daily basis. There is not always a gem to find, but when I do it’s pretty special. Yes some of the major posters have moved on to their own interests and cannot really blame anyone for wanting to grow and move forward. Glad to see Muji still posting once in a while.

I still own OKTA, and just last week I was thinking it was time to move on. What kept me from selling it Monday was a post by Saul which gave me confidence to hold it through earnings. I’ll now continue to hold it. Thanks Saul once again.

I’ll also thank this board and Saul for CRWD, which in my cloud names is my second largest holding behind ZM. I’ve read other reports from people I follow, but admittedly it was Sauls conviction that really pushed me heavily into the name.

Last nights earnings reports from CRWD, OKTA, ZS, ESTC, SNOW were absolutely amazing and really has given me another higher level of confidence that you have to have major exposure to this group, which I do with the help of reading this board as a tool for information and guidance.

Great day for cloud stocks.

TMB

38 Likes

If any of you care to check my history of posts in this board ( the only board that I post in MF and have been labeled as a Top Recommended Fool a few times.), I’ve laid out my perspectives from the point of view of a developer who has worked for two decades for some of the biggest names in the Software industry including MSFT. Around 2010, I was a pioneer in taking on-premises software to the cloud when SaaS wasn’t a household name ( trying to make sense if single tenant was better than multi tenant etc.) I was one of the guys who figured out how users of Microsoft active directory would use Azure Active directory ( which is being used by millions of users today.) Those were the times when it was so difficult to find a company to invest in the Cloud/SaaS space even if you wanted to. And OKTA happened to be one of those after many discussions/debates with some of my friends in the industry. Though I no longer hold OKTA today, it’s still one of my favorite.

ronjonb

FWIW I have been following this board for nearly a year now. I’ve read every one of your posts (some twice) and I took away something useful from each. So please accept
my thanks.

and by the way I am still long OKTA.

cheers

arnie

6 Likes

“The purpose of this post is to let you know that this board/Saul is special.”
I totally agree with this comment, this board always provides me the sanity check which is the most needed quality in investing IMHO, whenever I feel very excited about a new idea, I remind myself getting on this board and read Saul’s reasoning of why he buy or sell the stocks. it makes me feel I am grounded to the fundamental’s of business behind the stock in stead of price and movement of prices. that’s basically what investment is all about. I learned to invest instead of speculate, I learned to spend more time on the company instead of what other people’s opinion about PT. this is the place I feel I can remove a lot of my stupidity.
I am a newbie in investing , I can’t say enough how grateful I feel I have found this board and Saul has been so so generous about his knowledge and experience.even I am new, I start to feel that I was able to find this board is a life changing event for me

Cheers
FFFL

8 Likes

Ronjon,
Good to see your post. We have exchanged posts about Ddog and ESTC in the past. These companies seem to be competing more and more and each of their advantages. ESTC had a great EC yesterday, no slow down in Q2 vs Q1 (both at 43%) vs 53% in Q4. They listed several large customers like VW, Cisco, many spending over $1M. My question for you specifically is this - Can a company be a customer to both Elastic and Datadog at the same time? Say using Elastic for search and Datadog for observability? What does it do to Elastic’s mantra that a single unified platform for search, observability, security offers the most benefit for developers? As Elastic offerings improve that can become an intriguing option.

7 Likes