Huge, successful and really hard to analyse

Finally I made a decision and then a discovery: a closed-end fund which has very successfully invested in all those big names (currently AMZN 10% then Tencent ILMN Inditex BIDU BABA FB TSLA etc. etc.). I am sure all the usual suspects are in there.

This comes as a relief. I never solved the conundrum of wanting to own these names while not really understanding their attributes or price properly.

So now, I delegate. Ah, the peace of mind! Now, all I have to decide is how much money I want in all these things collectively, establish my investment in one place and leave the decisions to others.

That leaves me mercifully free to do what I enjoy and flatter myself (as investors do) that I have an edge: analysing companies where all the numbers can be neatly lined up like beans in a row and compared with the price. I guess that makes me a bean-counter.

It wouldn’t be a rule without an exception. I own SHOP!

4 Likes

Finally I made a decision and then a discovery: a closed-end fund which has very successfully invested in all those big names (currently AMZN 10% then Tencent ILMN Inditex BIDU BABA FB TSLA etc. etc.). I am sure all the usual suspects are in there.

By an interesting coincidence, I bought two ETFs this December for very much the same reasons. Until now I had been avoiding ETFs and funds.

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like

How did you define “success”? What were its returns in 2008 and 2000?

1 Like

Gents, I am wondering what screening tool you used. Most of the ETF’s I found were heavily invested in the FANG stocks and I was looking for something involved in some of the smaller less well known but possibly more exciting companies.

How did you define “success”? What were its returns in 2008 and 2000?

Most ETFs already have 10 year history in the books. “Success” to me is 10 year performance that is near or at the top of the ETF world.

Since 2000, the S&P 500 (IVV) has done 5% annually while S&P 600 Small Cap Value (IJS) had doubled it at 10% annually. That is success.

IJS lost %30 in 2008.

1 Like

Gents, I am wondering what screening tool you used.

http://www.morningstar.com/etfs.html

https://www.ishares.com/us/index

Since 2000, the S&P 500 (IVV) has done 5% annually while S&P 600 Small Cap Value (IJS) had doubled it at 10% annually. That is success.

IJS lost %30 in 2008.

Right…if you can beat the market in up and down times, that is great.

I was referencing more the concept of the closed end fund:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014240527487036736045755504…

Tried to out the bug in Saul’s ear when he started this board to start the “Saul Fund”…but no dice :wink:

1 Like

Hi strelna,

Is it against the rules of the board to post which fund you are talking about? Honestly just curious, new to the board but learning a lot!

Dominic

2 Likes

By an interesting coincidence, I bought two ETFs this December for very much the same reasons. Until now I had been avoiding ETFs and funds.

I, too, bought shares of funds in December…3 Vanguard index funds. They are, so far, giving me some peace of mind for at least a portion of my holdings, while allowing me to actively manage the remainder.

1 Like

Hi Streina, Are you just tantalizing us by telling us about this wonderful fund without telling us which it is?

8 Likes

Apologies, Saul and dumflotchie.

Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust (UK:SMT).

(‘Investment trust’ is the UK term for closed-end fund.)

Remit: Global large-cap. equity.

Cap. £4,122m. FTSE 100 company.

Currently trading at a premium of 2%

Total expense ratio .45. No performance fee.

Morningstar UK: Gold, 4 stars.

SMT used to be a stolid old closet tracker. Then it changed itself into something more dynamic, since when it has not looked back.

2 Likes

Missed a word out of ‘Remit’, should be Global large cap growth equity.

Missed two other details, net gearing 13.6%, DY ~ 1%.

We almost got through this thread without anyone making a “that’s what she said” joke, but I can’t let that happen.

Bear

3 Likes

I do not know if one can buy shares in SMT from here using either Ameritrade or Fidelity. Perhaps there are ETFs or Mutual funds which have similar portfolio to SMT. VGT from Vanguard seems to be one. Does anyone know how the performance of this ETF compares with that of SMT. I tried Yahoo and Ameritrade but they do not recognize this ticker symbol.

Cheers.

The trading symbol for Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust in London is SMT.L

To trade it in the US, you can call your broker and ask to trade it in London. Or you can buy it in the Over-the-Counter market using symbol STMZF (note that the placing of the T and the M are reversed. That’s not a misprint.)

Streina, Could you say a little about why you like this particular stock.

Saul

2 Likes

By the way, you could trade it on Schwab.

STMZF

My broker charges outrageous commissions to trade five letter stocks.

Denny Schlesinger

My broker charges outrageous commissions to trade five letter stocks.

Not only that, but they usually have very wide bid-ask spreads as well. I was just providing the information, not recommending that anyone buy it.

Saul

I like UK:SMT because I wanted a closed-end fund (ie active, not passive) preferably at a discount or with a negligible premium to NAV, with a low TER and no performance fee and with a successful history of investing in all the things I did not want to invest in directly myself because I did not understand them (because they did not conform to my simple way of evaluating quality growth companies).

I feel I can now forget all about AMZN, FB, TSLA and the rest which would not come through my screens and DD but which - some of them - are such rampantly successful features of the landscape they have proved to be desirable.

I must have been the world’s worst investor in AMZN!

I am sure there must be US equivalents to UK:SMT.

Beware of currency losses!