I have a silly little question

I’m throwing out a vintage 20” electric stove in our mother-in-law apartment and replacing it with an 18” (off the shelf) cabinet with an electric cooktop. That leaves me 2” of space, which I’m going to just leave open and put mini-shelves on the cabinet side and space for cutting boards at the bottom.

The shelves will be for the storage of things like Saran Wrap, aluminum foil, and wax paper, for which there is no decent storage at the moment.

If you were doing it (remembering that they will feed in lengthwise), would you make the shelves perfectly level, tilted slightly downward at the back (so the containers don’t accidentally fall out) or slightly upward at the back with a tiny “stop”, to make getting them out easier?

In fact, a poll:

• Level
  • Sloping upwards so things stay put
  • Sloping downwards so you pull things out more easily.

0 voters

OK, overwhelmingly “level”. I know I’m over-thinking this, but I have a week before the stovetop comes in, and then I have to put a box to jump from the current 220v outlet (for the old stove) to the new stovetop, because it only comes with a 4 foot cord and is hardwired into the stovetop (!) according to Amazon questions. The installed 220v outlet is about 8 ft away (kitchen reconfigured, too.)

I’m afraid that “level” will give rise to someone accidentally pushing the Saran Wrap back further into the slot, and since those boxes (wax paper, aluminum foil etc) come in various dimensions I can’t put a “stop” back there to stop that from happening.

At any angle, I suppose, the problem is the same; if you stuff the thing too far in the only way out is with giant tweezers or a tong maybe (ha! Spell correct turned that to ‘bong’). Anyway, this is what occupies the mind of a retired person with wayyy too much time on his hands, I guess.

1 Like

I am probably missing something - but I think you are saying you will have a roughly 24 inch deep (from front of cabinet to wall) narrow shelf and you are concerned something will get back and the wall. At which point you will not have an easy way to retrieve the object back at the wall.

Assuming my understanding is close – get one of the ole timey hangers – all metal. Cut the hook off and bend the wire roughly straight. Make a 90 degree bend about 2 inches from one end and use this wire to fish out the stranded item.

1 Like

If you designate a specific item to each shelf you can put a filler behind it to keep it from going back too far. Pipe insulation is cheap, easily cut to length, and one piece will probably leave you with enough left over to accommodate changes.

(I have a LOT of paperbacks. Shelving them efficiently has been a challenge. Years ago I bought bookcases with extra adjustable shelves and no back. Putting them perpendicular to the wall allowed putting books on both sides of each shelf. There was free space behind the books, so to keep them up front I used pipe insulation.)

2 Likes

Maybe look into something like this.

5 Likes

We have something similar to the previous photo. Garbage can on the left and spice rack on the right. Somewhat wider than the 1" specs given earlier.

1 Like

Awesome sauce! Thank you. Not perfectly, exactly what I had in mind, but saves me a ton of cobbling together something and this will actually look professional :wink:

Already ordered from Amazon, $100 for wood, wrong color but spray paint is cheap. There’s a plastic one for $50, but no.

Thanks again!

2 Likes