Infinera posts Q1 results

http://investors.infinera.com/new-releases/press-release-det…

SUNNYVALE, CA – (Marketwired) – 04/27/16 – Infinera Corporation (NASDAQ: INFN), provider of Intelligent Transport Networks, today released financial results for the first quarter of 2016 ended March 26, 2016.

GAAP revenue for the quarter was $244.8 million compared to $260.0 million in the fourth quarter of 2015 and $186.9 million in the first quarter of 2015.

GAAP gross margin for the quarter was 47.5% compared to 44.5% in the fourth quarter of 2015 and 47.2% in the first quarter of 2015. GAAP operating margin for the quarter was 6.1% compared to 5.3% in the fourth quarter of 2015 and 8.1% in the first quarter of 2015.

GAAP net income for the quarter was $12.0 million, or $0.08 per diluted share, compared to $12.6 million, or $0.08 per diluted share, in the fourth quarter of 2015, and $12.4 million, or $0.09 per diluted share, in the first quarter of 2015.

Non-GAAP revenue for the quarter was $245.0 million compared to $260.6 million in the fourth quarter of 2015 and $186.9 million in the first quarter of 2015.

Non-GAAP gross margin for the quarter was 50.2% compared to 48.3% in the fourth quarter of 2015 and 47.8% in the first quarter of 2015. Non-GAAP operating margin for the quarter was 12.3% compared to 12.7% in the fourth quarter of 2015 and 12.2% in the first quarter of 2015.

Non-GAAP net income for the quarter was $28.0 million, or $0.19 per diluted share, compared to $32.0 million, or $0.21 per diluted share, in the fourth quarter of 2015, and $22.1 million, or $0.16 per diluted share, in the first quarter of 2015.

A further explanation of the use of non-GAAP financial information and a reconciliation of the non-GAAP financial measures to the GAAP equivalents can be found at the end of this release.

“We continued to execute well in the first quarter, winning deals across our product portfolio and delivering strong financial results,” said Tom Fallon, Infinera’s Chief Executive Officer. “Responding to ongoing growth in bandwidth demand, customers are increasingly turning to Infinera to address the advanced scalability and efficiency required to operate their networks. By continuing to deliver the most innovative solutions and the Infinera Experience to our customers, I am confident that we will continue to gain market share across the end-to-end optical transport market and generate outstanding bottom line results.”

EPS is a beat with revenue inline.

The amazing thing I’m seeing in this report is the margin beat. They guided for 48.5 and got 50.2. 50% is was a longer term target. Looks like they got there pretty quickly.

This tells me they saw a ton of Instant Bandwidth activations last quarter.

I like what I see so far. The reaction from the street will all depend on the guide.

Best,
–Kevin

14 Likes

Just scanned the balance sheet.

Cash is up another $30M to $180M. That stockpile is starting to accumulate again.

Inventory is up another 8.5% from last quarter. $97M in finished goods, $59.4M in work in progress and $33M in raw material. The last time they had $97M in finished goods was in Q3 - and that resulted in a blowout Q4 quarter. This time they have that, plus a nice increment in raw and work in progress. This tells me they have are planning on a nice Q2.

I would expect to see this confirmed in their guide.

Best,
–Kevin

9 Likes

Cash is up another $30M to $180M. That stockpile is starting to accumulate again.

I look at Cash + Short Term Investments. Taken together cash is flat from last quarter.

Chris

2 Likes

Listening to the call now.

Brad just called out 50% as in interim target.

1 Like

What is beginning to trouble me is the fact that their marketing cost and admin cost are rising faster than revenue. If that is temporary that’s fine but, as an example, in this quarter revenue is up 31 percent from the same quarter last year, general selling admin and marketing cost in last years’ quarter was around 33.7 mil and this year 47.3, that is a 41 percent increase. If the company could have held the increase in those two categories down by just 3 or 4 percent it would have added more than a million and one half to operating income.
It leaves me wondering if the company is getting a little casual with cost control. I have seen it happen so many times over the years. Revenue is climbing and employees are being added and suddenly the cost are eating up the profit from the additional revenue.
It worries me.
Mike

15 Likes