Inflation surges to new 41-year high of 8.6%

Inflation surges to new 41-year high of 8.6%: Groceries jump 12% and gasoline soars 49% as rising prices batter consumers

The consumer price index rose 8.6% on May from a year ago, the fastest increase since December 1981

Increase was larger than economists expected and topped the recent peak set in March

Soaring food and energy prices drove the increase, with groceries up 11.9% and gasoline rising 48.7%

But core inflation, excluding food and energy, was also higher than expected at 6% annual rate

It is the strongest signal yet that inflation has not yet peaked, …

…

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10904095/Inflation-…

5 Likes

Inflation surges to new 41-year high of 8.6% IN US

============================================================

Funny that Europe is having lower inflation than US, but higher gasoline prices than US.

https://www.piie.com/research/piie-charts/inflation-has-rise…

Jaak

1 Like

Funny that Europe is having lower inflation than US, but higher gasoline prices than US.

Funny how taxes can distort inflation statistics.

USA gasoline price is commodity price + delivery + overhead + profit + 18 cents fed tax + state tax
Europe gasoline price is commodity price + delivery + overhead + profit + $3.18 tax

So if commodity price goes up by $2 …

The USA total goes from $3.00 to $5.00, a 66% increase.
And the Europe total goes from $6.00 to $8.00, a 33% increase.

Wow, Europe has lower gasoline inflation!!! Of course, their price also went up $2 a gallon, but percentage wise it is lower. Big deal! The customer still feels the extra $2 for every gallon.

The same applies to adding a VAT of ~20% to nearly every item sold. It causes a lower inflation percentage to be calculated, but it still has the same effect of increased prices to the end consumer.

17 Likes

Wow, Europe has lower gasoline inflation!!! Of course, their price also went up $2 a gallon, but percentage wise it is lower. Big deal! The customer still feels the extra $2 for every gallon.

================================================================

That is only part of the answer.

But you missed the part about overall inflation in EU is (8.1%) which is lower than US overall inflation (8.6%). How do you explain that?

USA gasoline price is commodity price + delivery + overhead + profit + 18 cents fed tax + state tax
Europe gasoline price is commodity price + delivery + overhead + profit + $3.18 tax

So if commodity price goes up by $2 …

The USA total goes from $3.00 to $5.00, a 66% increase.

=======================================================

After a second look at your numbers, I think they are bogus.

Where are your links to all the numbers and calculations or did you just pull them out of thin air?

<<The USA total goes from $3.00 to $5.00, a 66% increase.

Wow, Europe has lower gasoline inflation!!! Of course, their price also went up $2 a gallon, but percentage wise it is lower. Big deal! The customer still feels the extra $2 for every gallon.>>

=======================================================

After a second look at your numbers, I think they are bogus.

Where are your links to all the numbers and calculations or did you just pull them out of thin air?

Which specific number do you claim is bogus? Are you saying that gasoline in the USA a year+ ago wasn’t $3? Are you saying that gasoline in the USA today isn’t $5? Are you saying that gasoline in Europe a year+ ago wasn’t $6? Are you saying that gasoline in Europe now isn’t $8? Are you saying that wholesale gasoline didn’t go up by about $2?

If you are curious, the gasoline prices come from here - https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

Are you claiming that the data at this link is “bogus”???

2 Likes

Which specific number do you claim is bogus? Are you saying that gasoline in the USA a year+ ago wasn’t $3? Are you saying that gasoline in the USA today isn’t $5? Are you saying that gasoline in Europe a year+ ago wasn’t $6? Are you saying that gasoline in Europe now isn’t $8? Are you saying that wholesale gasoline didn’t go up by about $2?

===============================================================================

Thanks for providing the link to the European gasoline prices for June 2022. I still do not know how much the European gasoline prices increased in one year. Even if your number of $6/gal for Europe a year ago is correct, it still makes European gasoline inflation (33%) smaller than US gasoline inflation (66%).

So in conclusion Europe has lower overall inflation and lower gasoline inflation than the US.

Jaak

1 Like

Thanks for providing the link to the European gasoline prices for June 2022. I still do not know how much the European gasoline prices increased in one year. Even if your number of $6/gal for Europe a year ago is correct, it still makes European gasoline inflation (33%) smaller than US gasoline inflation (66%).

So in conclusion Europe has lower overall inflation and lower gasoline inflation than the US.

So you agree with my initial post. Why didn’t you say so at first? Instead of claiming “bogus” numbers?

The fact is that Europe, percentagewise, has lower gasoline inflation (and lower overall inflation). And it is for the reason I described … taxes. BUT Europeans are still paying $X more per gallon more or less just like the Americans are paying $X more per gallon. So, if you use 50 gallons a month, you are paying an extra 50 * $X each month … whether you are European or American.

2 Likes

If European gasoline inflation matched U.S. gasoline inflation, then they would be paying $10/gal instead of $8/gal.

Jaak

Exactly. And now you understand why … from my arithmetic lesson. :rofl:

If European gasoline inflation matched U.S. gasoline inflation, then they would be paying $10/gal instead of $8/gal.

Exactly correct. And likewise if the USA (Federal) tax on gasoline was $3.18 instead of $0.18, then the USA gasoline inflation would similarly be a smaller percentage.

But like I said, everyone, Europeans, Canadians, and Americans are paying roughly about $2 more per gallon.

2 Likes

I was paying $8.40/US gallon in the UK last week. Some folks in the US are shocked at that, but our rental car was getting 40mpg+ (US), a small SUV with 5 people and their luggage in it.

Didn’t have much go in it, though. It was nice to get back to our EV.

1 Like