INFN: 5G rollout

Hi,
The article http://bit.ly/1WyLBu7 talks about the upcoming launch of 5G launch and the new DOCSIS 3.0 standard as catalyst for both the business and the share price.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

“The article http://bit.ly/1WyLBu7 talks about the upcoming launch of 5G launch and the new DOCSIS 3.0 standard as catalyst for both the business and the share price”.

The article uses words like “upcoming” and “just around the corner.” Does that mean sometime in 2016…or 2017…or what? I would have liked to have seen something more concrete in terms of time frames for these launches. But overall, the article made me feel good about owning shares of INFN.

I will read the link as soon as I can. I know there is a big push in my company for serious back haul upgrades in the long lines portion of the company, and even though there are a lot of job cuts coming up in the wireless side due to the retirement of 2g. They middle managers are attempting to warehouse the technicians rather than lay them off due to the impending roll out of 5g.

Also, regarding Skyworks, if you are only considering Skyworks because of cell phones you are missing the big picture.

The IOT is not just hype.

Cheers
Qazulight

6 Likes

The article references http://bit.ly/1Tcicok which talks about verizon starting a slow roll out early 2017.

I read the article. It seems like fluff to me.

The last time I checked, the 5G specs were not completely nailed down.

Also, I am pretty sure that if anyone is depending on AT&T and Verizon for fat margins, they should read the history of Nortel.

I swear the CEO of AT&T needs a sound proof wallet so all the dead presidents will not be heard screaming in his hip pocket.

Cheers
Qazulight

3 Likes

Qazu,

Also, I am pretty sure that if anyone is depending on AT&T and Verizon for fat margins, they should read the history of Nortel.

I wouldn’t compare AT&T and Verizon to Nortel. I do not think you can compare any company today to Nortel, it was a very different world that they operated in. Nortel had some very impressive equipment and patents, but they also had very high operating expenses. They had many different divisions and their Class 4 and 5 switches could take a crew of 10 people up to a year to build. This has all changed now with the switches now being server boxes. The technology now is not as Man hour intensive.

Andy

2 Likes

I wouldn’t compare AT&T and Verizon to Nortel. I do not think you can compare any company today to Nortel, it was a very different world that they operated in. Nortel had some very impressive equipment and patents, but they also had very high operating expenses. They had many different divisions and their Class 4 and 5 switches could take a crew of 10 people up to a year to build. This has all changed now with the switches now being server boxes. The technology now is not as Man hour intensive.

That, and you would be comparing the Machiavellian subscriber revenue streams of carriers to equipment providers. It isn't even apples to oranges... more like apples to fruit flies.
1 Like

But that does not mean it translates into profits for shareholders anytime soon. Will SWIR be a thin-margined commodities company? Will a better IOT mousetrap put our favorites out of business?

Nanotech is not just hype, but the stocks were back in the early 2000’s.

P.

2 Likes

But that does not mean it translates into profits for shareholders anytime soon. Will SWIR be a thin-margined commodities company? Will a better IOT mousetrap put our favorites out of business?

Nanotech is not just hype, but the stocks were back in the early 2000’s.

It has been my experience that profits can only be obtained by management that know how to make profits.

It really doesn’t matter if the business is cool or not.

Cheers
Qazulight

1 Like