Interesting quotes from an Interesting Article

Mykie posted an Interesting Article here.

http://discussion.fool.com/interesting-article-31285545.aspx

It really is an interesting article. Here are some interesting quotes from it (but it’s worth reading the whole article). It’s really an argument about not trying to buy poor companies on the cheap, hoping for a few dollar profit, but buy good companies for a long term profit.

Saul

Both our operating and investment experience cause us to conclude that “turnarounds” seldom turn, and that the same energies and talent are much better employed in a good business purchased at a fair price than in a poor business purchased at a bargain price." Buffet

Our conclusion is that, with few exceptions, when a management with a reputation for brilliance tackles a business with a reputation for poor fundamental economics, it is the reputation of the business that remains intact." (Makes me worry a bit about CALL, except that I wouldn’t call their fundamental economics poor).

But if the market was efficient, this should not have happened! The prices of such (quality) stocks should have been bid to the point where buyers would not end up earning exceptional returns. But they did! Quality is systematically underpriced by markets over long time periods.

More profitable companies today tend to be more profitable companies tomorrow. Although it gets reflected in their future stock prices, the market systematically underestimates this today, making their shares a relative bargain – diamonds in the rough.” Buffet

A high ratio of price to book value, a high price-earnings ratio, and a low dividend yield are in no way inconsistent with a “value” purchase." - Warren Buffett
I should specify that when he talks about a high PE ratio, he’s meaning a PE of 25, not a PE of 75.

5 Likes

These are all great “Buffetisms”. I particularly like the one about profits today and profits tomorrow. It really dovetails into Saul’s desire to invest in a profitable company TODAY rather than a company with a STORY to become profitable.

I am personally finding that the STORY carrying significant weight in people’s minds because most investors are looking at how HUGE the opportunity can be (greedy) rather than the hard road to get there (realistic). Many times the STORY takes more years to materialize or it simply doesn’t pan out as projected. The STORY evokes an emotional response many times which dislocates many times from what is REALISTIC.

Currently profitable and cash flow positive companies can finance their own expansion and growth rather than diluting current shareholders, sacrificing their balance sheet or becoming “on-going” concern.

Eric

PS - I’ve been thinking about CALL the last few weeks as it languished in the 14s. I’ll post a separate thread but I’m interested in discussion from board members.

3 Likes