Investments you like, but wouldn't buy

Are there any stocks or other investments you love the idea of but, for whatever reason, wouldn’t consider adding to your portfolio?

Here are 2 of mine.

1. I like the idea of investing in Hershey’s (HSY). I have enjoyed since I was a kid and continue to enjoy embarrassing amounts of Hershey chocolate as a grown man. That candy bar is iconic and an American original. But as folks’ interest in candy wanes and with a debt-laden balance sheet, Hershey sadly looks like no exception to that old saying about candy companies rotting your portfolio worse than your teeth.

2. Who wouldn’t love to own a piece of the Empire State Building? As a New Yorker and a lover of New York City, I think it would sure be fun to invest in a REIT like Empire State Realty Trust (ESRT) or Vornado (VRT). But I’m way more interested in growth than dividends, not to mention that neither of these have done very well over the long term.

Anybody? :slight_smile:

Tesla, in some ways.

Some aspects I definitely don’t love. I am pretty sure that I would love to own a Model S, but that is far too expensive for my present budget and is far nicer than what I could justify spending such a sum of money on.

I guess for me, Tesla is more a company that I like in some regards, but definitely don’t like as an investment.

7 Likes

Volfan,
Tesla, more specifically, Elon Musk is fascinating. No, I wouldn’t put a penny in the company. If I could afford it, I’m not even sure I would buy a Tesla. I’d worry about owning a car after the maker went bust and there was no support for the vehicle.

OTH, I think Musk has changed the world. First, the financial world with Paypal. Next the automotive world with Tesla. Buying Solar City to bail out his cousin was a mistake in my opinion, but oh well. Next thing on his list is commercial space travel. And there’s the hyperloop (or whatever it’s called). The next chapter in high-speed ground transportation.

California just proposed or passed legislation (I think I got this right) outlawing the sale of new ICE vehicles by 2040. I guess if you drive in with an ICE vehicle from out-of-state you have to carry sufficient gas with you for your entire trip :slight_smile:

But it is a conundrum, I have a Lexus. Should I sell it and get an electric car before the trade-in value plummets? If not a Tesla (any model) then what? A Leaf, a Bolt, a ???

Any way you look at it, Musk is an incredible scientist, technician, entrepreneur, whatever . . .

2 Likes

Some people flip cars every 4 years, others keep 10 years or a little longer, rarely people keep a car 20 years.

Since were 22 years away from that law taking effect, I would say you’re unlikely to be affected on your current vehicle.

Once we get within 10 years of the law, we’ll have a different market and wider variety of automobile choices (who knows if we’ll even driving them, most may be autonomous by 2030). If the law is still on the books, I would not be buying an ICE at that after 2030.

However, don’t discount the out of state market (sell it in Arizona if they haven’t enacted a similar law by then). This is what I’m having to do with commercial emergency generators as CARB de-certifies them with more restrictive emission laws.

But it is a conundrum, I have a Lexus. Should I sell it and get an electric car before the trade-in value plummets? If not a Tesla (any model) then what? A Leaf, a Bolt, a ???

I reserved a Tesla Model 3 back on 4/6/16. My goal was to save up to try to pay cash for the car. However, as time passed and my savings grew, I just couldn’t justify paying so much money for a car. So,I took my Tesla money and used it to buy first one rental home, and then a second one.

I still have my Tesla reservation. I’m thinking now though that I will get a Leaf or some other electric car when I get my next vehicle.

I’ve test driven a Leaf and I’ve seen several Tesla Model S’s. I love electric cars. However, I also really want to put solar on my house.

So, only time will tell in how this plays out for me.

Fool on,

mazske

All holdings are listed in my profile

3 Likes

No, I wouldn’t put a penny in the company. If I could afford it, I’m not even sure I would buy a Tesla.

No stock is for everyone.

You might find this article interesting: http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/17280/tesla-model-3-the-fir…

3 Likes

Research by R.L. Polk says that the average age of a modern vehicle is 11.4 years, while the average length of time drivers keep a new vehicle is 71.4 months – around 6 years. 6 years translates to about 75,000 miles. Longer than I would have guessed. Back in the days of cheaper shorter lasting cars I seldom kept one more than 3 years. Now my second car is a 2003 model.

I don’t know whether leasing or rental cars is included in the above

Fortunately for Tesla BMW MB and some others, there are people who an afford them.

You’re doing it wrong. :slight_smile: You’re supposed to put the money in TSLA to afford to buy a Tesla. Worked for me. See (http://caps.fool.com/Blogs/how-to-get-a-free-tesla/993164).

-IGU-
(since then I’ve made enough money on TSLA to buy a fleet of them)

4 Likes

since I didn’t get into TSLA as early as you my TSLA profits mostly paid for options and sales tax on my S 85. Still every bit helps, and i still have much of the stock.

since I didn’t get into TSLA as early as you my TSLA profits mostly paid for options and sales tax on my S 85. Still every bit helps, and i still have much of the stock.

My first TSLA purchase was for $160 in September 2013. Hardly early. I made the standard mistake that Saul warns against. It was at 80 when I first decided to buy in and I said to myself I’d wait for it to pull back to 60, but it kept going up. I finally realized it was never going back down and bought in at twice the price. But I’ve mostly been short puts rather than owning stock – much riskier and much more lucrative when you’re right.

I know a guy who bought 1000 shares at the IPO, before I was paying much attention to the company. He’s still holding on to them. Nice! A huge ROI. But I have way more profits because he’s never bought any more. And I have no idea how to calculate my ROI since I’m mostly selling puts.

-IGU-
(right often enough)

1 Like