Karen’s foray on the Skyworks board.

Karen’s foray on the Skyworks board.

I naturally follow the Skyworks board too, and noticed that Karen asked for advice there about options on SWKS and also mentioned getting a lot of information from our board. Someone (or a couple of people) tried to browbeat her and intimidate her about why she would use any other source of information but what the MF Pro “experts” say? Why would she listen to any discussion on our board? Why she would listen to anything that GauchoChris says? And why she would choose any other allocation than what MF PRO recommended? I just want to tell you all that I thought she handled herself very, very well, and answered respectfully without backing down at all.

If they trouble her in the future, she could point out to them that:

1. MF PRO is only up 6.4% year to date, and that almost everyone on our board is up at least two to three times that, from what has been posted.

2. MF PRO opened on Oct 7, 2008. They advertise that they are “up 148.7% since inception”. That sounds good until you realize that inception was just about at the bottom of the 2008 crash. The S&P closed on that day at 996.23, and closed yesterday at 2105.33. Thus the S&P is up 111.3% since the date of inception of MF PRO, and MF Pro is only beating the S&P by 34.7% after almost seven years!!! That’s practically nothing, and if you figured in the MF Pro fees for seven years it would even be considerably less. (It certainly doesn’t make them the all-knowing experts.)

(They don’t give a comparison with the S&P the way the other MF newsletters do).

Best, and my congratulations to Karen for her courage.

Saul

19 Likes

Saul, you’re a Pro member too! (have you voted for the Polaris award yet?)

Thanks for the nice message of support. You know, I like the discussions that people have here, and it’s totally beneficial for SWKS shareholders to read the great stuff that people are sharing on this board!

In defense of Pro (and I love the Pro service, they are a great, active community too!) they have a stated, specific goal called the North Star – which is inflation + 7% over a 3 to 5 year period. And they don’t want to lose money over those periods. So the approach is very different. They use hedging, shorts and options.

Your approach is to beat the market by making the largest returns you possibly can, in companies that are reasonably valued. I like that too. It’s very interesting to read from both places.

And I’m glad the Pro team is valuable to you too for some stock ideas! – or, at least one pretty decent stock idea! :slight_smile:

Karen

7 Likes

I’m a Pro member as well, and I really like the service. I don’t follow the portfolio by any means, but I’ve found it to be an excellent source of ideas for non-traditional trades, if you will, such as ETFs, currency trades, and volatility instruments. My annual membership is somewhere around $800 which pays for itself many, many times over each year.

Fletch

3 Likes

Saul,

Someone (or a couple of people) tried to browbeat her and intimidate her

That did not happen. I know the thread you mean. I realize the Internet is a weak medium for communication, but I’m still surprised you could manage to draw such inaccurate conclusions. Feel free to quote anything I might have said that you might have misconstrued-- but you should really do it on the Pro boards, if you took issue with what was said.

What did happen was that Karen posted that people on Saul’s Investing Discussions were “bananas” about SWKS. I wondered what she meant by that and I asked some questions to clarify. I also asked some questions about how an investor might go about resolving differences of opinion from multiple sources of advice. These are general questions that any successful investor needs to ask themselves as they go through life. The question is a general one, really-- how do you decide who to listen to? What criteria do you use to establish credibility? It was a suggestion to do a little soul searching, not a brow beating. I honestly don’t care what conclusions Karen or anyone else comes to-- everyone’s answer is bound to be different and personal. The important thing is the process of considering it. Selfishly, asking her those questions was also a way for me to learn more about your board via Karen without having to do a lot of work on my own.

Karen did not really answer my questions; if she had, I would have suggested that, given opinion X from one expert and opinion Y from another, I would want to understand the scenarios in which those two opinions made sense. Clearly if the experts have different opinions, they have a different set of assumptions. I would want to know more about what those assumptions are so that I could decide for myself which is more reasonable.

I would finally add that I have no idea whether Pro is right about SKWS, or you are right, or GauchoChris is right. All of you have probably studied the company more deeply than I have. I do know that after about six years with Pro, they have earned my trust and respect as analysts and advisors. I don’t have any history with this board, so my default assumption is-- and must be-- that it is just another source of information among many, with no particular reason for me to favor or discount it as an input. It has not yet earned any place in my decision-making framework. My questions to Karen were posed in a way that would hopefully have Karen deciding for herself what good criteria might be. For herself. I can’t tell her anymore than you or anyone else can. That is something that comes from within and from experience and from asking lots of questions.

While I’m here, I guess I should respond to the many inaccurate comments you made about the Pro service itself… someone needs to do it, and I don’t see anyone else stepping up…

MF Pro is only beating the S&P by 34.7% after almost seven years!!! That’s practically nothing

Your numbers are off-- Pro is up 151%, while the S&P 500 total return is up 131%. I’m guessing you are using the simple return for S&P without accounting for dividends. The comparison between Pro and S&P 500 total return is reported on fool.com in the lower left, and also on the Recommendations page of the Pro portfolio. But let’s assume you were right, because I want to respond to your conclusion. ~35% in 7 years works out to more than 4% of alpha over the broad market. Most money managers would be happy with that performance, especially in an absolute returns service like Pro, and even more so given that Pro is handicapped by the 24-hour trading restriction after its trade recommendations go out before it can act itself.

That sounds good until you realize that inception was just about at the bottom of the 2008 crash. The S&P closed on that day at 996.23, and closed yesterday at 2105.33.

S&P 500 bottomed at 666. Over that time period Pro was lightly invested and was very stable. It’s hard to put a value on the peace of mind a Pro investor had during that time relative to a broad market index investor. From a psychological point of view, the early Pro investor was much better equipped to take advantage of the coming bull market after the crash, meaning the difference between real returns and theoretical returns.

if you figured in the MF Pro fees for seven years it would even be considerably less.

Pro charges a fixed subscription fee to its members, so it depends how much you have invested, and whether you assign any value to the social and educational aspects of the service. In a poll I took last year, I found that Pro members have around $500K invested with the Pro service on average, so their membership fees equate to maybe two tenths of a single percentage point of their assets dedicated to Pro. Many of us do assign real value to the social aspects of the service as well. Mentally, I consider my “Pro management fee” to be maybe half of my subscription fee, but even if I did consider the entire fee to be chargeable to my returns, it would be a bargain.

It’s interesting that you characterize a .2% management fee as “considerable” while saying the 4% outperformance of Pro is “practically nothing”. Maybe I’m missing something here, but it sounds like you are implying that .2% is a larger number than 4%. That can’t be what you mean, of course, but I have no other explanation for it. Help me out here.

I would also note that Pro has a published goal of achieving “North Star” returns of 7% + inflation over rolling 3 year periods. I imagine you have a different set of goals, and that comparing your performance to Pro’s is therefore a bit illogical. Pro is not out to compete with you, any more than Pro is out to compete with bonds, real estate, commodities, or even the S&P 500 itself. Beating S&P is not a goal-- the North Star is the goal.

(They don’t give a comparison with the S&P the way the other MF newsletters do).

As noted above, sure they do. See fool.com or the Pro recommendations page. But while we’re at it, it’s also worth recognizing that Pro reports true returns (e.g. starting capital of $1 million at present value of $2.5 million = 150% return) while many of the services e.g. Stock Advisor are reporting averages of all their recommendations. Like other points you made, this is an apples and oranges sort of thing… comparing the numbers directly has questionable value since they are measuring different things.

Rob

32 Likes

I’ve had a particularly difficult day at work, so I think I’ll grab some popcorn, and wait for the show to start…

2 Likes

Rob,

Just take a deep breath and relax.

In all the years I’ve followed Saul’s posts I’ve never seen anything but carefully reasoned and precise analysis.

Saul owes you no explanation.

When Pro’s returns begin to equal the remarkable returns of Saul and most of us on this board, I will pay more attention to Pro.

Thanks for posting and I hope you will feel free to share your analysis and thoughts with us about your investment ideas.

Jim

1 Like

:slight_smile:

Jim

What did happen was that Karen posted that people on Saul’s Investing Discussions were “bananas” about SWKS. I wondered what she meant by that and I asked some questions to clarify. I also asked some questions about how an investor might go about resolving differences of opinion from multiple sources of advice. These are general questions that any successful investor needs to ask themselves as they go through life. The question is a general one, really-- how do you decide who to listen to? What criteria do you use to establish credibility? It was a suggestion to do a little soul searching, not a brow beating. I honestly don’t care what conclusions Karen or anyone else comes to-- everyone’s answer is bound to be different and personal. The important thing is the process of considering it. Selfishly, asking her those questions was also a way for me to learn more about your board via Karen without having to do a lot of work on my own.

Hi Rob, This board was probably a good source for Karen to partake in knowledgeable discussions. For example, with all the free discussion boards and Stock Advisor, Rule Breaker, Hidden Gem boards, etc, there are a lot of total MF boards. I’ll take a guess at 2000 total. That may be wildly low.

Now each day MF chooses a MF POST OF THE DAY, which we obviously have nothing to do with picking. On a random basis with estimated 2000 boards, each board would have a 0.05% chance of winning the Post of the Day. (Less than a tenth of one percent). We regularly get 20% to 25% of the picks from this board. If you look at March, April, May (up to today), we have been selected for 13 out of 52 Posts of the Day, a nice round 25%. That’s 25% coming from one board (!!!) out of all the MF boards there are. (It’s not just a bunch of crazies over here).

We’d be glad to welcome you to come over and join the discussion of stocks and investing. We have lots of differences of opinions, but almost never arguments. A lot of bright people participate and it’s really a fun board.

Saul

14 Likes

This is a frustrating conversation. I had hoped to have a good, happy conversation about using bullish options on SWKS with other SWKS investors and also promote some of the conversations on this board about SWKS to a bigger group of people who might be interested.

It ended up feeling weird, frustrating and really no fun. It’s too bad. Investing and conversing about investments can and should be enjoyable. That’s a big reason why I like spending time here at the Fool.

Karen

5 Likes

Karen,

You are right. Conversing about our investments should be enjoyable and profitable.

However, investors can be thin skinned. If you post enough, you will probably at some point annoy someone and receive some sharp criticism. You should read how Saul was severely chastised a couple of years ago on the Westport board. He dared challenge some conventional MF wisdom about the WPRT by pointing out how much the company was losing money quarter after quarter. As you can see from the price history, Saul had it exactly right. His critics lost a ton of money. Those of us who agreed with Saul profited from his insights.

Keep posting. This board is uniquely friendly and can be very profitable because some of the sharpest and nicest investors post here.

Jim

4 Likes

Karen:

Some people just don’t know how to be professionally detached and you can get slammed by the most unexpected sources. It makes one wish to just lurk. Who needs personal attacks? I’ve seen several Foolish boards unravel from it.

One way for the slammer to deal with it is to write the post but put it on hold for an hour or two or maybe even a day. Then read it and edit it to bring it up to professional standards. Attack the ideas, not the people holding them.

Denny Schlesinger

3 Likes

Yes Karen, some folks, as we say here in Oklahoma, just seem to wake up some mornings full of buck and bawl, not much to do but let 'em run it out. I have just recently found this board and am really impressed with the civil back and forth that occurs. I started reading the various Fool boards back in '05 because so many other finance boards took about three post to get into political name calling and insults. Over all the Fool boards are very respectful and seem to stay on topic remarkably well. But I have also noticed that sometimes a suggestion that a service is failing to meet your expectations, or that some one outside the Fool might have a valid counterpoint, can, at times, bring on a little pack attack. Usually mild and not too off putting, thankfully.
I am mostly a lurker, but wanted to say you did the right thing, again in local slang, don’t dally off on one like that just let it go.

Mike

2 Likes

This is a frustrating conversation. I had hoped to have a good, happy conversation about using bullish options on SWKS with other SWKS investors

Hey Karen, it happens sometimes, especially when two different investment styles meet. Some people enjoy using a variety of styles – I like Pro too, as you know – but others become entrenched and are skeptical (or even hostile) towards alternatives. Don’t let it get you down.

Over time, I’ve tried to match posts to the board. I assume that people who are interested in Saul’s way of assessing companies will be on this board, and people who are interested in Pro’s way will be on those boards. People who enjoy both, like me, will be on both :slight_smile: I don’t know if that’s the best approach or not, but it’s what I tend to do.

Did you get the answers you were looking for with regard to options? I can’t remember if you did or not. Personally, if I were going to use options on SWKS, I would not write puts: I would buy deep in the money calls. Or if you want more leverage or don’t want to pay for the time value, use synthetic longs. Just be careful to allocate appropriately on a look-through basis, and always plan for the worst: nobody knows what will happen to the stock over a given period of time, regardless of what the business does, and options are obviously sensitive to timing. You could setup bull-call spreads, but I personally don’t like them due to the timing issues: I’ve been burned too many times being 100% right about the business, but wrong on the timing. If you do go that route, keep your allocation small enough that you’ll be okay with 100% loss of capital, because it absolutely can happen on even the best companies (and it will, if you do enough of them).

Let me know if you have more questions. FWIW, I’m not using any options on SWKS, but just have shares.

Neil
Long SWKS

6 Likes