Last 9 Days-MyUnconventional Portfolio

Saul focused on the trading of his portfolio over the past 9 trading days because the S&P was down those 9 days in a row.

The S&P was down 3.1% and the Russell 2000 was down 4.5%.

My portfolio which has been called unconventional by spme was down 4.9% even though it was up 2 of the 9 days being discussed.

During this 9 day window more important to me, since I am focused on income, I had 5 companies declare dividends/distributions. 2 of the 5 increased their distributions as expected-3 paid the same as expected
Still waiting for 2 companies to declare (I expected one to increase- and 1 to pay the same)
2 companies just paid in the 9 day period 1 just dripped addition shares on November 1 and goes x-div again on Nov 16-It’s a monthly payer

As long as dividends/distributions are declared, paid and/or increased I am making progress. These market fluctuations provide opportunities to pick up shares at lower prices I did add shares in two of my stocks and added to another via a dividend drip so the projected annual income keeps growing.

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend

b&w

10 Likes

B&W

Thanks again for posting this, you have prompted me to learn more about REITs.

If you don’t mind, could you give us an idea, percentage wise of what your port pays out in the last few days?

Or annually?

Say, you have $1000 invest, and you get $50 a year? (Or whatever)

Thanks!

And if I missed it, please point me somewhere.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi CandyGram:

If you don’t mind, could you give us an idea, percentage wise of what your port pays out in the last few days?

Or annually?

Currently the annual projected yield is 8.5544%. Since I currently have more projected income than what I project spending Including FED and STATE taxes the excess is reinvested. This excess income is currently running about 55% of received income

HASI is the only REIT I own
I also own 3 MLP’s (Master limited Partners)
2 CEF’s (Closed end funds)
1 BDC (Business Development Companies)
1 other

All 8 were previously listed on this board
Good luck

b&w

1 Like

b&w,

You have an interesting approach to investing in retirement, and thanks for sharing your knowledge. How do you think your holdings would do if/when interest rates move up, and inflation increases?

Best,
DT

1 Like

Hi DT:

How do you think your holdings would do if/when interest rates move up, and inflation increases?

Great Question. To answer that question you have to define the term “your holdings”

I previously had mentioned that my portfolio value currently is 11 times the initial starting value of when I retired on July 1 2003 and that 11(Eleven) times value is after spending about 3 times initial portfolio value for all my living expenses over all these years.So, so far the portfolio has made a good amount of paper money and incurred a large embedded tax obligation.
Example: I buy a stock for $100 It goes up 11 times and is now valued at $1200 in my portfolio. For me to get that $1200 in cash I have to sell and pay tax on $1100 of about $367 leaving me with only $733 + $100=$833 cash in hand- AND I STILL DON’T HAVE THE $1200 And even worse I don’t have the income stream that $1200 investment earned to pay my bills. I now have to spend capital to pay those bills further eating into the remaining $833. The important metric for me is the continuation of the income stream. And that’s why I seek income that is as tax sheltered as possible.
So DT—I don’t know if I answered your question, because it gets complicated.

Good luck
b&w

3 Likes

For the younger guys…this is why you want some retirement monies in a Roth IRA.

Of course that assumes the government does not change the rules on us at a latter date.

2 Likes

For the younger guys…this is why you want some retirement monies in a Roth IRA.

Of course that assumes the government does not change the rules on us at a latter date.

Don’t worry THEY WILL— AGAIN AND AGAIN
In 2016 they reduced our SS checks $77 per month each. (They increased the Medicare charge)

I go back to before the Roth days-- Actually I go back to the pre IRA days.

Dealing with retirement will probably be the hardest job most will face in their lives because few understand it (Even the experts that are telling people how to do it, haven’t got a clue) And most of the people have not prepared for it. These people will turn to the FED and State for help and you know how prepared they are for additional expenditures.

Has anyone inquired as to what it costs in a nursing home these days? A friend recently inquired for an elderly parent at the 7 facilities in his area. The average cost was in the $11,000 per month range FOR BASIC CARE. And that’s not the problem–The problems are

1. The waiting lists to get in are running 2 to 3 times the capacity of their facilities–and—
  2. Many of the insurance companies that sell extended care insurance are (or have already) gone broke and can’t fulfill their obligations when they are called on to do so.

b&w

2 Likes

The waiting lists to get in are running 2 to 3 times the capacity of their facilities

Seems like with the babyboomers entering the retirement years, I’ve heard a lot about how the health care industry is a good play for that expected large increase in the number of patients.

Sounds like nursing home management companies would be an excellent play as well. Does anyone know the top few companies in that industry? Who is growing fast?

3 Likes

“nursing homes” is a pretty broad category…they range from assisted living to skilled care.

I know that in NJ you can live in a very nice assisted living facility in a very nice town for about $6200 per month. The cost of the care is in addition to that, and is dependent upon how much care you need…typically it is assistance with what are called “activities of daily living.” The cost of care ranges between a few hundred dollars per month to a couple of thousand, so the total cost would be about $8200 per month at the high end.

Skilled care is a whole other story. But Medicare likely pays for a lot of that.

Sounds like nursing home management companies would be an excellent play as well. Does anyone know the top few companies in that industry? Who is growing fast?

Not “nursing home management” directly but that’s who they sell to:

Healthcare Services Group Inc. (HCSG)

Business Summary

Healthcare Services Group, Inc. provides management, administrative, and operating services to the housekeeping, laundry, linen, facility maintenance, and dietary service departments to nursing homes, retirement complexes, rehabilitation centers, and hospitals in the United States. It operates through two segments, Housekeeping and Dietary. The Housekeeping segment engages in the cleaning, disinfecting, and sanitizing of patient rooms and common areas of client?s facility, as well as laundering and processing of the personal clothing belonging to the facility?s patients. This segment also provides laundry and linen services; and maintenance services comprising repair and maintenance of laundry equipment, plumbing, and electrical systems, and carpentry and painting services, as well as distributes laundry equipment. The Dietary segment is involved in the food purchasing; meal preparation; and the provision of dietician consulting services, which include development of a menu that meets the patient?s dietary needs. As of December 31, 2015, the company provided its services to 3,500 facilities in 48 states. Healthcare Services Group, Inc. was founded in 1976 and is based in Bensalem, Pennsylvania.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=HCSG

http://invest.kleinnet.com/bmw1/stats25/HCSG.html

Denny Schlesinger

Long HCSG

4 Likes