Last time CEOs were hailed like rock stars

… it didn’t end so well I think.

Now:

It was just a day or two ago that I wrote about Nvidia and why I thought it had become a disproportionately large risk to the overall market. The stock now represents 6.5% of the S&P 500, an astronomical amount for one name to make up a 500-name index, and appears to be hitting peak levels of hysteria, as evidenced by CEO Jensen Huang signing autographs on the breasts of women at computer shows.

Also talks about the ‚Roaring Kitty reloaded rally’ being stopped in its tracks by Gamestop management filling its coffers for exciting new ventures. FT:

3 Likes

What do they think of Apple, or Amazon then?

And, I swear Roaring Kitty was NOT SOBER during that call of his. That was a disaster for him.

And the two companies are totally different when it comes to their business prospects.

Also…

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-stocks-are-driving-the-markets-gains-but-investors-shouldnt-be-concerned-923cc4f1?mod=home-page
A handful of Big Tech stocks are once again dominating the stock market. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

In fact, going back to the 1960s, the S&P 500 has tended to see stronger performance during periods where market concentration has been rising, according to a recent report from Michael Mauboussin, head of consilient research at Counterpoint Global, and Dan Callahan, vice president of Counterpoint.

DB2

1 Like

Last night, the “news”, via multiple outlets, was touting the latest Apple software, listing all the spiffy new features, while running video provided by Apple…this was presented as “news”, even though it looked like a three minute commercial.

Steve

3 Likes

It’s not even about the two companies… Progress is not smooth, it’s punctuated. In 2024 several technologies came of age to create a giant leap in the macro economy, call it the third computer revolution

1. Big Iron
  2. PC
  3. AI Compute

Ray Kurzweil more or less predicted it., 1999…

The inventor of the most innovative and compelling technology of our era, an international authority on artificial intelligence, and bestselling author of The Singularity is Nearer now offers a framework for envisioning the twenty-first century in The Age of Spiritual Machines–an age in which the marriage of human sensitivity and artificial intelligence fundamentally alters and improves the way we live.

Kurzweil’s prophetic blueprint for the future takes us through the advances that inexorably result in computers exceeding the memory capacity and computational ability of the human brain by the year 2020 (with human-level capabilities not far behind); in relationships with automated personalities who will be our teachers, companions, and lovers; and in information fed straight into our brains along direct neural pathways. Optimistic and challenging, thought-provoking and engaging, The Age of Spiritual Machines is the ultimate guide on our road into the next century.

The Captain

3 Likes