LGI Homes Announces the Grand Opening of Summit

Hill, a new community in North Texas

I guess this line stood out to me from the article…

Each home is designed with upgrades worth thousands of dollars, such as all new energy efficient kitchen appliances including refrigerator, front yard landscaping, fully-fenced backyards and a 10 year structural warranty,

I thought the 10 year structural warranty was an interesting note. Does anyone know if a 10 yr. warranty is common in Texas? Is this a temporary “upgrade” that normally costs the buyer up front if they want it?

I’ve been in construction for a good while now, with experience in residential, commercial, industrial and agricultural. For the most part construction projects have a one-year warranty from a specific date, frequently at time of “CO” or Certificate of Occupancy.

I realize there are many situations where a longer warranty is given. It is normally part of the contract specs or request from buyer though, not just given out.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/lgi-homes-announces-grand-open…

On another note, I would certainly hope the “structure” would last 10 years, warranty or not, or I might be re-thinking my investment here :).

I’m not sure but my guess would be due to the clay soils in Texas there it’s not a question of if but when you get foundation problems. “Normally” it happens around 17 to 20 year old homes. Since we experience so much droughts then flood the soil moves quite a bit.

Each home is designed with upgrades worth thousands of dollars, such as all new energy efficient kitchen appliances including refrigerator, front yard landscaping, fully-fenced backyards and a 10 year structural warranty,

I suppose it depends on what “structural warranty” means. If it covers slabs shifting. (Texas homes are typically built on poured in place concrete slabs), plumbing issues, electrical issues, roofing, windows, (a big deal if triple pane gas filled windows are installed) and termites, it would be a nice thing to have, but probably does not distinguish itself from other new homes, on the other hand, there would be a big light bulb moment when one is considering a bigger nicer 20 year old home with trees.

Also, the upgrades I would want to see would be foam insulation, triple pane low e glass argon gas filled windows, split packs instead of whole house AC and a grey water system that captures and reuses the shower and bath water to hydrate the gardens.

Cheers
Qazulight

2 Likes

I don’t know, but I would venture the structural would cover foundation, load bearing walls and roof.

Concrete slabs on grade are generally not structural. Concrete slabs on deck, stairs, etc. could be structural.

Plumbing, electrical and mechanical are almost stand alone type items.

Windows (triple pane or not) and the covering of a roof are not structural either.

If your window won’t open anymore it could have been installed not square and plumb. Or, maybe the foundation has cracked (structural yes, but concrete is guaranteed to do two things: get hard and crack.) In other words, if your foundation shows a crack, don’t just expect to get a warranty resolution. “Standards of the Industry” would likely come into play here. That said, a window that used to open and now doesn’t, could signify something larger going on with the foundation.

Termites likely fall under Acts of Nature.

That said, a person can always ask (and pay) for upgrades such as triple pane windows, split-pac HVAC systems, or an extended warranty on the roof leaking, or even termites (likely an insurance issue here).

Elevated floor systems would be structural as well.