LGIH - 10 yr. Structural Warranty

Recently announced new community mentioned something I had forgotten about LGIH. That they have a 10 year, structural warranty. I think this is a great selling point.

Most warranties in the residential and commercial construction industry are one year. Now, do I think it is a big deal to offer a 10 year warranty? No. Any house or structure worth it’s salt should be structurally sound for 10 years. This isn’t an appliance we’re talking about. I feel this is likely a strong selling point to a lot of customers, when in reality, it should be expected.

I wonder if LGIH does internal studies to see what overall impact, if any, this warranty has with their customers?

Of course, maybe this isn’t new or rare in certain areas of the U.S., I don’t know.

Also included with every new home is an impressive 10-year structural homeowner warranty.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/lgi-homes-announces-grand-open…

4 Likes

Most structural issues with homes are a result of the soils they rest upon. If LGIH warrants against structural issues due to settlement, it is indeed a big value. Structures tend to do all of their settlement within the first few years.

AJ

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure a pre-defined 10-year warranty on new residential construction is a legal mandate in Washington State. At least, virtually all new homes in this area carry one. So in Washington anyway, it’s not a competitive advantage.

1 Like

No. of Recommendations: 2
Most structural issues with homes are a result of the soils they rest upon. If LGIH warrants against structural issues due to settlement, it is indeed a big value. Structures tend to do all of their settlement within the first few years.

A little late with a reply, but here goes.

I agree that soils are the main culprit of structural issues. I also agree that if there was any structural issues with a house, and that the builder is covering that risk for 10 years, it may indeed be a big value.

My overall point is that LGIH or anyone else of any size (relative here I know) should be doing soils analysis in the first place. Hire a geo-tech engineer, and based upon their findings, all of the work related to bad soils and settling should be resolved before the first house is built. If that means digging down further and importing more structural fill, or adding micro piles for example, then that is what it needs to be. Add the engineering and additional “fix” to the cost of the house.

Now if the builder is doing a house here and a house there, the cost would likely become prohibitive.

If however, a builder is big enough to be doing entire subdivisions themselves, and they are building in an area that has soils issues (or even if there are no known issues), they certainly should (my opinion) be doing a geo-test on every subdivision they own.

Now, with the structural issues resolved (theoretically) before construction begins, building a house that won’t fall down (exaggeration a bit) within 10 years seems highly likely and thus “expected”.

If a builder doesn’t know what he is building on, or cuts costs on up-front concept/design/engineering, and builds on an area that ends up failing, the builder has problems. Big problems. And the structural guarantee doesn’t mean much in the end as they will likely be getting sued for a boatload of cash, and likely more than one or two homeowners. This far outweighs the cost of hiring a geo-tech engineer.

That is why I feel offering a 10 year structural warranty sounds good and is good for the most part, but in reality it still isn’t worth all that much. It’s a “selling point”. I feel this is likely a strong selling point to a lot of customers, when in reality, it should be expected.

2 Likes

For anyone that’s interested, I found a geo-tech report for LGIH, reported June 15th, 2016.

Subsurface Exploration,
Foundation Analysis, and Pavement Thickness Design
Presidential Glen – Phase 4B
Amenity Center
Manor, Texas

Terradyne Project No.: A161111
Mr. Chuck Birt
LGI Homes
1450 Lake Robbins Drive
Suite 430
The Woodlands, Texas 77380

http://www.fazzoneconstruction.com/plans/0808%20Presidential…

2 Likes