Lightspeed vs Shopify

Continuing from my last post, I’ve just found this detailed comparison online. While it seems a bit biased towards Shopify, it nevertheless provides a thorough coverage of both solutions.

https://ecommerce-platforms.com/compare/shopify-vs-lightspee…

Some key excerpt:

Ultimately, it’s easier for us to recommend Shopify as an all-round solution. Shopify is one of the leading ecommerce platforms and offers everything you need to build a feature-rich and successful online store. This doesn’t come at the cost of POS either. Shopify’s features for physical stores are extensive, and it’s hardware, robust.

On the other hand, Lightspeed is a dependable provider that, although a worthy contender, just can’t offer quite as much as Shopify. Their pricing is more elusive, as you can’t be entirely sure what each plan unlocks. While they don’t charge any extra for their full POS app, their programs seem more expensive for what they offer. This is especially true if you’re looking primarily for an online store builder.

If your focus is on creating a thriving ecommerce business, stick with Shopify. But consider Lightspeed if you’re a brick and mortar business expanding into online sales and could benefit from Lightspeed’s more tailored features for retail stores, restaurants, or golfing enterprises.

29 Likes

I came across that same website and came to the conclusion that for the most part, they’re pretty similar products, maybe with a slight edge for Shopify.

If that was the case, why won’t retail businesses just choose LSPD for their POS and Shopify for eCommerce?

I found the answer in the very press release: “I really wanted something that had my in-store point of sale and online store incorporated into one. I didn’t want to have to deal with two different sets of inventory and constantly having to update,” said store owner Kassandra McMillan. “Lightspeed eCommerce is all-in-one and nice and simple. I don’t have the time or the knowledge to go and build a website, so the fact that it’s been so easy to use is really refreshing.”

As I sat and reflected on this, I realized this was the ultimate strategy for all these acquisitions LSPD has been making. Truly becoming the one-stop shop for everything a retail business needs. I think this was the first time I truly understood and appreciated the entire vision, strategy, and total potential of LSPD.

This has my conviction rising for LSPD.

It will be interesting to watch SHOP’s POS numbers but my gut feeling says LSPD may have the better advantage in this space.

26 Likes