Millions 2 Be Evicted

https://mishtalk.com/economics/tennants-unions-demand-biden-…
The Washington Post reports Soaring Rent prices Have Advocates Calling on White House to Intervene.
Rental costs in the US are soaring at the fastest pace in more than three decades, surpassing a median of $2,000 a month for the first time ever and pushing rents above pre-pandemic levels in most major cities.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/census-bureau-3-8-million-100…
Census Bureau: 3.8 million renters will likely be evicted in the next two months
For the first time ever, the median rent in the U.S. topped $2,000 a month in June — and the increases show no sign of stopping.

Those rising rents mean that households representing a total of 8.5 million people were behind on their rent at the end of August, according to Census Bureau figures. And 3.8 million of those renters say they’re somewhat or very likely to be evicted in the next two months.

The combination of soaring inflation, the end of most eviction moratoriums and rental assistance payments and an extremely low vacancy rate has pushed rents up — and many renters out.

4 Likes

Have Advocates Calling on White House to Intervene.

Just what do they expect the WH to do? Rental agreements are contracts, and unless a contract has “unconscionable” terms, like, say, handing over your firstborn to the Cult of Cthulhu, the WH has absolutely zero authority to intervene. Frankly I’m surprised the moratoriums on eviction and utility shut-offs got went as long as they did.

3 Likes

Have Advocates Calling on White House to Intervene…
Just what do they expect the WH to do? Rental agreements are contracts…

Mmrmnhrm,

Student loans are contracts, too, but that isn’t going to stop the government from paying off $10,000 each for a selected group of voters.

To secure the votes of millions of non-paying renters, it seems only fair for the government to pay up to $10,000 for each of these unfortunate souls.

Nevermind that there is bound to be some overlap between student loan borrowers and at-risk renters. Double-dipping is OK when the government is handing out free stuff.

After all, what’s the purpose of having an Uncle Sam with unlimited power to hand out goodies if not to dole out shelter and free college to the most loyal of us?

If our vote is worth $10,000, why shouldn’t it be worth $20,000?

:wink:

</sarcasm filter off>

4 Likes

They can subsidize rents for unfortunate Americans earring $125,000 and under.

At least $10,000 worth of payments.

The problem I have with this argument against forgiving student loan debt is rather simple. It’s the only debt you can have that cannot be wiped clean by bankruptcy. And you gotta wonder why that is.

3 Likes

It’s the only debt you can have that cannot be wiped clean by bankruptcy. And you gotta wonder why that is.

Several minutes ago, I posted some information on a thread about student loans, pointing out that while the push was on to make it impossible to discharge student loans, the lenders that made the loans had no risk, because the loans were guaranteed by the government. Why make it uniquely difficult to discharge a loan, when the lender does not bear any risk in the first place?

Steve

4 Likes

Student loans are contracts, too, but that isn’t going to stop the government from paying off $10,000 each for a selected group of voters.

=====================================================

Students loans are government contracts. Rental contracts are private contracts.
Government is not paying off private student loans.

Jaak

4 Likes

I would think some construction corporations would be building some new complexes to cash in on the high rents. Of course zoning issues & construction time & labor scarcity would mean there would a time lag before the apartments would be available to drive down rent pricing. And they would have to make not many were built causing an over supply.

I would think some construction corporations would be building some new complexes to cash in on the high rents.

And you would think companies would have been trying to solve supply chain issues to supply more goods at high prices. But nobody seems to be doing that either. Its almost as if everyone is simply satisfied with getting higher prices and not doing anything more.

1 Like

Mmrmnhrm,

Jaak already made my point for me, so I’ll just toss a rec over there :wink:

PPP loans were contracts too, but that didn’t stop us from writing off lots of those debts.

We bailed out the S&L industry. Auto companies. Mortgage companies. Major banks. Heck, a certain ex political dude was famous for getting millions in real estate loans written off in bankruptcy court.

But when we decide maybe we should help the little guy out… watch out. :frowning:

36 Likes

And you would think companies would have been trying to solve supply chain issues to supply more goods at high prices. But nobody seems to be doing that either. Its almost as if everyone is simply satisfied with getting higher prices and not doing anything mor

Yep where is the invisible hand? As business sectors become more concentrated they become oligarchic lessening competition. And big boys can stifle any up starts attempting to move into their space.

https://mattstoller.substack.com/p/closing-down-the-billiona…
Closing Down the Billionaire Factory
The private equity industry has been running America for four decades. This is how the ‘billionaire factory’ emerged, and why the public has had enough.

Matt Stoller’s goes into how private equity took over corporate & state pension funds turning them into their bytches providing easy access to cash for LBO & of course charging outrageous fees to managing them.
The Securities and Exchange Commission in the past has been a lap dog to private equity. But there is a new sheriff in town Gary Gensler. There is hope he will after private equity.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-11-16/gary-g…
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/09/sec-chair-gary-gensler-wants…

Will Gensler be successful? Remains to be seen.

4 Likes

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/sedona-will-pay-residents-…
The city council approved a $240,000 program earlier this week that would incentivize homeowners to lease out their homes to local workers because of a lack of affordable housing. According to data from the city, only 4% of total dwelling units in the city are apartments - drastically below the 16% average in the state.
“People working in Sedona struggle to find housing due to skyrocketing real estate prices and vacation rentals dominating the rental market,” city officials said.

Rental costs in the US are soaring at the fastest pace in more than three decades, surpassing a median of $2,000 a month for the first time ever and pushing rents above pre-pandemic levels in most major cities.

One thing that Covid and the eviction freezes showed landlords, is that there is more risk to leasing your property out than previously thought, and that needed to be compensated for. High rents are here to stay. Unintended consequences, but will be around for some time.

IP

1 Like

Paying off a contract is fulfilling the contract, not braking it.

The Captain

2 Likes

Why make it uniquely difficult to discharge a loan, when the lender does not bear any risk in the first place?

Not all student loans were were guaranteed by the government. Private loans wanted similar risk free status. Remember “The First Marblehead Corporation (FMD)?” I lost a lot of money on that one!

I started that board!

Why I like FMD

First Marblehead Corp. (FMD) is a fee based financial services company that makes money no matter what happens to the loans, just like a stock broker – make comish when they buy, make comish when they sell, make comish when they laugh, make comish when they cry. I still remember the year I broke even and my broker made $50 K in comish.

https://discussion.fool.com/why-i-like-fmd-22169081.aspx

Bankrupt!

The Captain

3 Likes

The problem I have with this argument against forgiving student loan debt is rather simple. It’s the only debt you can have that cannot be wiped clean by bankruptcy. And you gotta wonder why that is.

Bjurasz,

The reason that student debt is not dischargeable is because the megabanks, 4 years before they brought down the world economy, convinced their bought and paid for congresscritters that the megabanks would have more money available to support the politicians and their campaigns if the banks didn’t have to write off any private student loan losses due to bankruptcy.

The federally guaranteed low-interest student loans were always guaranteed by the government (banks had no risk of loss for defaults), but the banks wanted to make the high-interest private student loans also free from risk of loss. In other words, the banks wanted to have their cake and eat it, too.

No risk of loss for low-interest loans and no risk of loss for high-interest loans - if Congress would only do them the teeny tiny favor of making ALL student loans non-dischargeable.

The new “bankrtupcy discharge-proof” high-interest loan was a child from the perfect marriage of the corrupt bankers with the corrupt politicians.

Unfortunately, the risk-free returns bankers received via non-dischargeable student loans just made the banks more willing to take on other types of risk.

For instance, profits from non-dischargeable student loans helped to encourage banks to grant more and more high-interest mortgage loans to homeowners - including high yield “no doc” NINJA mortgage loans (no income, no job, no equity, no problem).

Before long, the real estate market soured and trillions of homeowner’s equity and taxpayer dollars were lost, but fortunately for the banks, Congress granted to banks taxpayer-funded TARP bailouts, and even better - since they made student debt non-dischargeable.

It was the perfect crime. Millions of newly-unemployed workers were willing to take out high-interest student loans from the megabanks - providing a limitless supply of millstones around their neck.

After all, the students would have to pay for the rest of their natural lives and even beyond - thanks to a few nice little favors courtesy of Congress and underwritten by the US taxpayers.

</end of ersatz history lecture>

24 Likes

Bjurasz,

The reason that student debt is not dischargeable is because the megabanks,

Isn’t the real reason much simpler than that?
Couldn’t any 18 year old (or older) sign for a loan (without parents co-signing), attend school, then declare bankruptcy because they have no income and no assets and be all the “wiser” from school but owe nothing and start over from scratch? And then get a job.
The wealthy wouldn’t care and only kids too dumb to figure this out would owe money.

Mike

2 Likes

but owe nothing and start over from scratch?

Where “scratch” is having to spend the next 7 years with a bankruptcy on your credit record so that you have difficulty getting any credit.

Where “scratch” is having to spend the next 7 years with a bankruptcy on your credit record

And have to answer “yes” to the “have you ever filed bankruptcy” question for the rest of your life.

so that you have difficulty getting any credit.

Yes, and no. Many people report getting lots of credit offers as soon as the BK is recorded. They know you can’t file again for several years, so try to get their hooks into you ASAP. Naturally, these are among the scummiest and highest rate lenders. But you are right if you are talking about higher quality and lower rate lenders.

–Peter

1 Like