My portfolio at the end of August: Update

At the end of July my portfolio was at 99.9% for the year. I am now at 105.6%, so it was a very good month (up 5.7%), and I am at my highest level of the year.

Interesting observation Saul. My US portfolio which frankly has performed atrociously over the last 18 months - 2 years is at the highest point it has been across current holdings and I hate to say returned to breakeven. (Adding back in trades, sales and exits this looks considerably more positive thankfully). My US average RoI is 27% which co-incidentally is exactly the same return as my completed trades and round trip buy/sells in Hong Kong holdings.

What I do notice is that my long term holdings are broadly positive and my recent purchases are really positive. The mid term positions are broadly negative. I have noticed that I hold onto stocks after momentum rolls over and the growth thesis starts to fail which is when Saul sells out (sometimes due to portfolio balancing which becomes fortuitously timed and sometimes due to judgment). This is probably my most significant area of improvement I need to focus on from a behavior and discipline point of view.

Ant

3 Likes

It seems you’ve had your eye on the retail industry for quite sometime. Where do you place Skechers in the S curve? Early after the first knee?

I don’t know enough about Skechers to answer that question. Sorry.

My only observation on the Skechers chart is that the run up to 55 was a bit of unwarranted market mania.

http://softwaretimes.com/pics/skx-09-07-2016.gif

Time will tell if it was the curve in the hockey stick. I have no idea.

Denny Schlesinger

1 Like