My Recent Trades: a Study in Scarlet

Since Saul has been kind enough to provide periodic updates on his buys and sells, I thought I would try to give something back by doing the same. So here goes:

Today, I bought BNK (Banker’s Petroleum, on the Toronto exchange) – a 0.3% position, which is a medium-sized position for me. I bought it at $2.31 (Canadian), which appears to be a 52 week low.

Why buy Banker’s Petroleum? Well, its price was literally half of what it was when I first read an article on Seeking Alpha about it, and although it is an oil E&P company, it is in Albania.*

To be honest, though, I am already asking myself why in heaven’s name I bought this stupid company, so I will probably sell these shares in the morning.

I also bought TRIP today, at $36.09, which seemed like a very good price indeed for a stock that is highly regarded by various MF services. Unfortunately, due to a typing error I actually bought TRP, which is an entirely different company. This explains the bargain price.

Still, when I looked at TRP, it seemed OK, so I may keep this stock. It is a Canadian pipeline company tied closely to the Keystone XL pipeline (which is possibly not the absolute best market niche), but I am in a contrarian mood, and at least it is not in South America like BNK.

I sold some INBK today, because it had risen to over 2% of my portfolio, and bought some BOFI (I was actually trying to sell BOFI, for similar reasons, but the IBKR single button trades are confusing, and once I bought the BOFI shares I decided to keep them for now as a trading position).

Yesterday I bought a little bit of FTRPR because I thought it might be fun to own some preferred stock. I am already up more than $6 on this purchase. I also sold an XOM put because, let’s face it, how much lower can XOM go? (Famous last words.) I also bought a bit of NRG because it has a good rating from Morningstar and I like stocks with tickers that sound like what they do (e.g., BOOM). And, I bought a bit more of each stock recommended by the excellent MF Pro (Australia) service.

Now, like Saul, I exhort you – do not simply copy what I do; instead, make your own decisions based on your own research.

Rich

CED

*The Albania point was mentioned in the SA article, with a lot of positive emphasis. I am not actually sure why having oil fields in Albania is a good thing – in fact, I am not really sure where Albania is, although I suspect either in South America or Eastern Europe.

53 Likes

Love it! ??

Well, the dart board beats the S&P so why not randomly selected Seeking Alpha posts and fat finger errors?. It takes away all the stress of company analysis and personal responsibility in decision making.
Please keep posting. :slight_smile:

KC

1 Like

Albania is E Europe but perhaps they meant Alberta which might fit the Canadian listing. Or they could have meant Abyssinia which is also outside of the US borders or maybe they meant Albuquerque. Who knows.
Ant
:wink:

*The Albania point was mentioned in the SA article, with a lot of positive emphasis. I am not actually sure why having oil fields in Albania is a good thing – in fact, I am not really sure where Albania is, although I suspect either in South America or Eastern Europe.

I thought Albania was a station in Antartica. Now that I know it’s in South America, I think the prospects for the stock have vastly improved. I think I’ll buy some too!

1 Like