New EV Tax Credit in Inflation Reduction Act

https://electrek.co/2022/07/27/senate-moves-forward-ev-tax-c…

Federal tax credit for EVs maintained at $7,500.

Eliminates tax credit cap after automakers hit 200,000 EVs sold, making GM and Tesla once again eligible

The language in the bill indicates that the tax credit would be implemented at the point of sale instead of on taxes.

In order to get the full credit, the electric vehicle needs to be assembled in North America, the majority of battery components need to come from North America, and contain a certain percentage of minerals from countries with free trade agreements with the US.

A new federal tax credit of $4,000 for used EVs
Zero-emission vans, SUVs, and trucks with MSRPs up to $80,000 qualify
Electric sedans priced up to $55,000 MSRP qualify

The full EV tax credit will be available to individuals reporting adjusted gross incomes of $150,000 or less, $300,000 for joint filers

This would enable Tesla and GM to get access back to the credit – though in Tesla’s case, it would only apply to some versions of the Model 3 due to the new $55,000 price limit.

intercst

3 Likes

The language in the bill…

Has it been signed into law or is it still in the political realm?

DB2

3 Likes

chuckle

Careful, bills not yet passed are now just political fluff. :wink:

Imagine not being able to discuss ACA, Secure Act, or the Jobs Act of 2017 until it actually became law. o.0

Hawkwin
Who though the very nature of threats and risks are that they are things that have not yet happened…

1 Like

The language in the bill indicates that the tax credit would be implemented at the point of sale instead of on taxes.

The full EV tax credit will be available to individuals reporting adjusted gross incomes of $150,000 or less, $300,000 for joint filers.

Does this mean I need to give the dealer a copy of my tax return???

The language in the bill indicates that…

it might be known as the Paperwork Incrementation Act (PIA).

Imagine keeping track of where a mineral comes from used to make a battery cell, who knows where, and eventually making its way into a battery pack, assembled who knows where, and used to power your car. It might just eat up all the profits from the excess demand the industry is incapable of fulfilling just now.

For investors it does not matter the EV revolution has no turning back, just hope it does not run into a Black Swan – nasty little beasts!

The Captain

Does this mean I need to give the dealer a copy of my tax return?

Good question.

DB2

Imagine keeping track of where a mineral comes from used to make a battery cell, who knows where, and eventually making its way into a battery pack, assembled who knows where, and used to power your car. It might just eat up all the profits from the excess demand the industry is incapable of fulfilling just now.

I can imagine it.
If we believe we can build autonomous vehicles and we believe we can build the internet of things (IoT), don’t we think we can track the things in our supply chains?
And don’t companies want to have data on their supply chains for business reasons, like supply chain optimization?

…don’t we think we can track the things in our supply chains?

I don’t doubt our ability, I question the cost and the effectiveness in promoting EV sales. Elon Musk has said that EVs don’t need subsidies. Tesla is one of the few EV sellers that does not get the US Federal subsidy any longer having reached 200,000 cars shipped and has no shortage of customers eager to get one. EVs are not hurting for lack of demand.

The Captain