Now to see what happens

Yeah, Beach real estate is crazy. Heck, all of Miami real estate is crazy right now.

I get that you’re a bit higher and inland, but I don’t get that anyone would want beach property in FL (or pretty much anywhere else now). You’re already having problems with “king tides” that are only going to get worse. Plus more intense hurricanes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfside_condominium_collapse

It’s not clear to me from this link that even if there wasn’t corruption they wouldn’t have had a problem. Water around the foundation of a building isn’t ideal. Maybe when they built the thing that wasn’t a problem, but now with king tides it is? Dunno.

1poorguy (AZ…all beach, no ocean)

…“conversation is ruled by algorithms that are designed to capture attention, harvest data, and sell advertising. The voices of the angriest, most emotional, most divisive—and often the most duplicitous—participants are amplified. Reasonable, rational, and nuanced voices are much harder to hear.”

That’s what I was seeing in 2016. Actually before that, but my normally calm feed EXPLODED that year. Even a nice lady -mother of my best friend growing up- suddenly turned into a right-wing fanatic. Echoing all sorts of nastiness that I never would have expected from her.

I didn’t have that many FB friends, but those sorts of postings just took over. I wasn’t aware of the algorithms encouraging that at the time, but I left anyway. The algorithms explain a lot. It’s a forum designed to amplify emotion to get more eyeballs. Further reason never to go back.

2 Likes

The problem I see with TMF doing this is already starting to manifest: politics migrating onto their financial boards. The strict boards, like Saul’s, any such posts are quickly ejected. So not bad there. But on Retirement Investing there already has been an off-topic exchange. I didn’t report it, but then I shouldn’t have to if TMF has fewer boards they monitor now.

People need an outlet for other “stuff”, and TMF just removed that outlet. So I expect more to spill onto the investing boards.

They’ve provided very little visibility into what Boards 2.0 will look like, but Fuskie alluded to it having significantly better moderating tools. That would mean better and smarter filters, the capability to dump potentially problematic posts into a “pending” queue before actual posting, and some other features that will make it easier for them to regulate what gets talked about. So they will probably be able to keep the bare handful of investing boards that survive on this side of the paywall ‘clean’ of OT stuff, if they want.

Albaby

I get that you’re a bit higher and inland, but I don’t get that anyone would want beach property in FL (or pretty much anywhere else now). You’re already having problems with “king tides” that are only going to get worse. Plus more intense hurricanes.

Those are somewhat fixable problems. Miami Beach has invested a fair amount in raising roadways and installing pumps in the areas that have been affected by king tides. It’s been pretty effective, actually, and has all-but-eliminated flooding in some of the areas that were historically bad.

As far as hurricanes, the increment from climate change isn’t a short term (a few decades) thing - which is well beyond the time frame that most folks are using for their current purchasing decisions. Improvements in building codes, even for older buildings that have been retrofitted, make a lot of waterfront property relatively better protected against storm damage than the community was twenty years or so ago. The likelihood of being hit with any given level intensity storm is slightly (very slightly) higher, but the buildings are better able to take it.

Albaby

albaby1: “As far as hurricanes, the increment from climate change isn’t a short term (a few decades) thing - which is well beyond the time frame that most folks are using for their current purchasing decisions. Improvements in building codes, even for older buildings that have been retrofitted, make a lot of waterfront property relatively better protected against storm damage than the community was twenty years or so ago. The likelihood of being hit with any given level intensity storm is slightly (very slightly) higher, but the buildings are better able to take it.”

Was it not the early Nineties, post Hurricane Andrew (?) that Florida significantly changed its building codes to better withstand hurricanes?

Regards, JAFO

Was it not the early Nineties, post Hurricane Andrew (?) that Florida significantly changed its building codes to better withstand hurricanes?

Mid-1990’s - the updated South Florida Building Code came out in 1994. You also didn’t really see the next major “wave” of lots of new construction until a little bit later, mid-to-late 1990’s really. Especially on the Miami Beach, the real estate development side of which really kicked off with Thomas Kramer’s Portofino Tower project in South Beach and Michael Graves’ building at 1500 Ocean. You basically then had about about a decade-and-a-half building boom that ran until the Great Recession.

Albaby

I’ve personally mostly moved my online life to Reddit. It’s not as good for in-depth political discussions as TMF, but it’s much better for the obsession that has dominated my last two years: endocrinology. (After I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism).

“Hypothyroidism may not cause noticeable symptoms in the early stages. Over time, untreated hypothyroidism can cause a number of health problems, such as obesity, joint pain, infertility and heart disease.”

Many years ago my older brother as a young teenager was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. He stopped growing in hight and started putting on a lot of weight. After a number of tests he was found to be suffering with Hypothermia.
I don’t remember the treatment the doctors put my brother on but he did loose the weight and started growing again to become a healthy handsome man.

So just pointing out one successful treatment and wish you the same success.

2 Likes

I’m on 25 mcg levothyroxine and all my problems went away, like magic. I expect your brother also got levo…but probably a lot more. I’m a mild case. I was also lucky with my doctor. This guy really knows his stuff.

Are you doing well? How’s your TSH? Do you know if you have B12 or iron problems? These frequently occur in hypothyroid patients.

100mcg. Where is your doc. I think I need one who is better at handling hypothyroidism.

Well, I am still here, but mostly as a lurker. I find the destruction of community to be sad and pointless. I enjoyed the many characters and personalities who contributed, even some of the trolls. Perhaps a new community will arise somewhere.

Loren

18 Likes

I hope you are well, Loren.

There’s a new RELE Refugees (Retire Early Liberal Edition) group on Facebook. We’d welcome (most of?) you.

I hadn’t been much of a FB user before, but this group’s cool. So far Goofyhoofy, sandyleelee, lindytoes, bluegrits, ges, wecoguy, AngelMay, tchr…and yours truly. I seem to be posting lately about politics, my husband’s dementia (suddenly worse and caring for him at home), and especially my new Apple Watch. We’d love more lively conversation!

2 Likes

We have missed you, Loren.

I fear, and suspect, that these freemium boards are not going to last much longer after the Foolpocalypse. But it is good to hear from some folks one last time.

Albaby

4 Likes

Nice to see you.

If you can’t bear to do Facebook, there also is a Discord server that has been setup. I think you’ll see several familiar names there. I can provide a link if you’re interested.

In Germany I’m afraid. What’s your TSH? If you don’t know it, you should request the relevant lab work.