Now to see what happens

So, Foolsday has come. Nearly all the Boards are now read-only.

Let’s see if anyone stick around, or if this is really the End.

Albaby

2 Likes

I’m here. To me, it makes a lot more sense to slide over to here rather than migrate to Twitter or Discord or somesuch. So, I’m hoping that the rest of the gang will show up.

2 Likes

This board was almost dead… except my posting.

I think the hope is that TMF will allow some of the very broad financial boards to hang on, even if the range of topics gets a little…broad. Liferafts, if you will, to let some of the members of the community who liked to hang out together on non-financial boards have a place to have some of that last.

Albaby

2 Likes

So some shuffling, cleanups, see where we land…

I & family are long, long time Facebook users, lots of personal controls, Twitter has always felt too scattered to bother with.

1 Like

Just to be clear this is a financial board. Here we don’t specifically discuss a single stock or stock category or industry. It is bit more inclusive and we can talk any stock.

1 Like

Just to be clear this is a financial board.

Oh damn. I thought it was a place we could get drunk.

2 Likes

Sticking around!

This board was almost dead… except my posting.<.i>

I see the TIS Martian fellow stopped posting well over a year ago. Sorry to see him go, although I usually had trouble following along. I hope all is ok on Mars.

I’ve had this board on my favorites forever but drifted away. I’ll make it a point to stop by more often.

Still around. Added this board to my short list to replace a couple others that were discontinued. Quite busy with other things but checking in daily.

Ironic that the Twitter board sold out to Elon Musk today too.

4 Likes

I am glad to see you here, Albaby, and I will hang around for awhile. Sadly, as most of the boards I frequented are closed, it probably won’t last for long.

We shall see.

Wessex

2 Likes

Just to be clear this is a financial board. Here we don’t specifically discuss a single stock or stock category or industry. It is bit more inclusive and we can talk any stock.

I was hoping it was the illegitimate offspring of the Martini Club.

CNC

1 Like

I’ve personally mostly moved my online life to Reddit. It’s not as good for in-depth political discussions as TMF, but it’s much better for the obsession that has dominated my last two years: endocrinology. (After I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism).

1 Like

I too, have hypothyroidism. I believe it is divine punishment for my atheism.

7 Likes

I am glad to see you here, Albaby, and I will hang around for awhile. Sadly, as most of the boards I frequented are closed, it probably won’t last for long.

True. What I’m most curious about is whether TMF will be culling the remaining boards of any non-financial talk. While CMF_Fuskie is probably not being given accurate information, they did mention that one reason for the board software migration is to give them modern moderation tools. That should make it pretty trivial for them to stop any OT conversations.

Albaby

1 Like

Shocked that they closed Deranged Monkey Criticism, which only had 25k posts on investing, I noted that at ITF, doubt anything will come of it.

Al- good to see you around these parts. I’m thinking I missed my window to buy my Miami Beach pad anytime soon…

Naj

Al- good to see you around these parts. I’m thinking I missed my window to buy my Miami Beach pad anytime soon…

Good to see you too, Naj.

Yeah, Beach real estate is crazy. Heck, all of Miami real estate is crazy right now. DW and I have always planned that when the kids are off to college that we would likely shift out of our house and into a condo. When we saw what SFD houses in our neighborhood were going for, we thought briefly about maybe making that shift now and getting a larger condo today. But when we looked, we saw it’s a market-wide craziness - prices for our house would be ridiculous, but so would the price for any condo we might look at. So we’re staying put.

As an aside, the Surfside disaster has absolutely wrecked the condo insurance market - with many carriers leaving the state altogether, others just not writing policies on broad swatches of the market, and others setting out big-ticket repairs and upgrades as conditions for renewal/issuance. Those changes are rippling slowly through the marketplace as buildings’ policies come up for renewal and/or expire, and we expect to see condo association maintenance costs to skyrocket for some older buildings - and sometimes along with big special assessments to cover long-deferred repairs. So now isn’t necessarily the best time to dip into the condo market, since it’s going to take a year or two for all that to shake out.

Albaby

1 Like

Finally got around to checking-in here. The Discord board seems to be OK so far. It hasn’t gone PA on us yet, and I don’t think the owner will allow that.

The problem I see with TMF doing this is already starting to manifest: politics migrating onto their financial boards. The strict boards, like Saul’s, any such posts are quickly ejected. So not bad there. But on Retirement Investing there already has been an off-topic exchange. I didn’t report it, but then I shouldn’t have to if TMF has fewer boards they monitor now.

People need an outlet for other “stuff”, and TMF just removed that outlet. So I expect more to spill onto the investing boards.

Like this. Supposedly an investment board, but it has been seized for non-investing discussion.

1poorguy (happy that several familiar monikers appeared on the Discord)

In this vein, I note a recent article in The Atlantic. It bemoans the fact that on Facebook and other big social media sites “conversation is ruled by algorithms that are designed to capture attention, harvest data, and sell advertising. The voices of the angriest, most emotional, most divisive—and often the most duplicitous—participants are amplified. Reasonable, rational, and nuanced voices are much harder to hear.”

As a remedy, the authors propose that we foster “social-media sites designed deliberately in the public interest that could promote civil discourse, not just absorb your attention and data, and that would help reduce the angry tone of American debate.”

Alas, many of the places here on TMF in which that actually happened have been shuttered. Let’s try to keep it going here in Liquid Lounge.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/04/the-int…

5 Likes