Oktane is Okta’s annual customer conference. It’s also went Okta likes to dump a LOT of product announcements, so I like to follow along.
This year Oktane20 has gone fully virtual, and can be joined for free, so I’ll be following along over the next 2 days.
Here’s a pic of their virtual conference lobby that I’m sitting in til the CEO keynote starts: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ordvg0bamfsflln/Oktane20lobby.jpg?..
I’ll be watching it in the background and will give add’l updates on this thread. In addition to Oktane20, Okta scheduled an investor day today.
A few press releases have dropped already:
New platform layout - Okta Platform Services
- ask Twilio has been doing, and Okta has started last year, they are creating their platform as building blocks for API integration for partners and customers
- further situates Okta to be able to embed deeply into customers workflows
- Identity Engine (their core contextual Auth engine)
- Directories (user mgmt)
- Integrations (integrating with partners, aka SaaS apps)
- Insights (ML/AI engine over it all)
- Workflows (no-code environment for building complex identity-based enterprise workflows)
- Devices (device mgmt)
By building Okta Platform Services with a modular, service-oriented architecture, Okta, along with its customers and partners, can quickly create new features to speed innovation for everyone in the ecosystem.
New product - Okta Fastpass: https://investor.okta.com/news-releases/news-release-details…
- passwordless login across devices, apps and OSes
- includes iOS, iPadOS, macOS, Android, and Windows
- use Okta Verify app to register device
- once device is registered, employees can access their apps on any device without ever needing to enter a password
- available Early Access late this year
Once end users register their device via the Okta Verify application, a strong binding is created in the Okta Identity Cloud between the user and the device. When accessing an Okta-managed application via a browser, desktop application, or a native mobile application, end users are not prompted for a password. This means users get an end-to-end passwordless login experience when using devices that support biometrics, from unlocking the device, to registering the device to Okta with no password prompt, to subsequent logins on the same device. Optionally, administrators can create fine-grained policies that combine Okta Device Trust, endpoint security integrations, and other adaptive policies with Okta FastPass to deliver secure, passwordless experiences for only managed, compliant devices.
Okta now has deep partnership with EPP providers (Crowdstrike, VMWare/CarbonBlack, Tanium): https://investor.okta.com/news-releases/news-release-details…
- strengthened partnerships with leading EPP providers (aka the software protecting the DEVICE from malware)
- helps provide deeper contextual security back to Okta products (aka the ML/AI features for advanced security)
- ties into Okta Verify app on device
Relying on the Okta Devices Platform Service, the Okta Identity Cloud is able to ingest those device risk signals to create a comprehensive risk profile of an individual login attempt. Okta can now make access decisions based on security posture signals from an individual’s device, using data delivered by both Okta Verify and leading endpoint management and endpoint detection and response partners. Together with partners, Okta can determine if the operating system is up-to-date, whether or not the device is jailbroken, if the device contains any malware, if the device is managed by IT, and whether or not a firewall is disabled. Okta can then leverage these signals to make the appropriate contextual response to an access request, such as denying access or prompting for an additional factor.
Okta upgrading the Partner Connect program: https://investor.okta.com/news-releases/news-release-details…
- improved Partner Accreditation program
- free technical training for partners
- newly launched Okta Innovation Center
- marketing tools for partners