OMG.... sold too soon. $311🤕

Lol!

We make a practice of selling living expenses for the year in January.

We were thrilled to get $302+ for our BRKB shares.

My sales should become a heads up for you guys to buy​:dizzy_face:?:dizzy:

:^)

jan

2 Likes

Do you sell an entire year of living expenses every January? I’m trying to figure out how to do that, and was thinking about selling smaller amounts monthly maybe instead of a bigger one time sale.

2 Likes

I do it that way. Selling once a year put you out of trying to time the market. I’m a lucky guy, selling this morning at 10 o´clock be fore the big selloff. But
I didn’t sold any Brk this year. AMT was the sacrified

So far selling at the beginning of the year has become our habit.

But Goofyhoofy sells more often, IIRC monthly? And there are other strategies.

We have sold in January, but that is just an arbitrary month and there is no “secret sauce” or back testing or anything.

jan

1 Like

Do you sell an entire year of living expenses every January? I’m trying to figure out how to do that, and was thinking about selling smaller amounts monthly maybe instead of a bigger one time sale.

To me it seems logical to sell monthly. Most of the time the market goes up, so most of the time you benefit by waiting.

5 Likes

To me it seems logical to sell monthly. Most of the time the market goes up, so most of the time you benefit by waiting.

And if you wait a year that’s even better so sell in January :wink:

(next year’s this January is this year’s next January, no?)

1 Like

Actually, we did not spend all of 2021 sales, so we sold less in 2022.

There are no perfect ways to buy or sell… you can get close by valuing the thing, but in the end, Mr. Market is your counterparty, so why sweat it?

Goofyhoofy’s way is just as valid, if not more so.

Maybe, I just sold to drive up the price? Ha ha!

jan

1 Like

But Goofyhoofy sells more often, IIRC monthly? And there are other strategies.

Not that anybody cares, but I don’t sell (or buy) on any sort of timetable at all. The only things I’ve bought recently are some XOM when it was bottoming last summer, DLTR thanks to Jim’s kettle drum, and I-bonds for Mrs. Goofy and me in December and another year’s worth a couple days ago.

I’ve been modestly trimming a few positions either because they’re overweight (good, they went up) or not (bad, they haven’t performed). But mostly I’m just sitting, as usual, waiting for the winds to blow one way or the other.

Life is good, all except that 2020 and 2021 stuff.

4 Likes