On tax consequences of selling.

Tax implications have not been addressed.

First of all: Of course my results are post-tax! They are real money, not some hypothetical recommendation list.

Second: Most of our assets, by far, are in IRAs.

Third: If I am selling out of a position in a taxable account, it is often either a new position that I decided against, with just a small gain or loss, or a long term position like LGIH. There I sold out of the IRA’s and long term taxable positions first, and then, as I didn’t see any immediate danger, I waited a week or two for remaining positions to become long term.

Fourth: If I have to sell out of a medium term position with a gain, I think of it this way: Say I bought the position at $100, and I now want to sell it, and it’s now at $120. It’s too long to wait for long term. So I sell it. NOTE: I don’t pay taxes on the whole $120. I only pay taxes on the $20 profit! The difference between 40% short term tax and 20% long term tax on $20, is all of 20%, or $4. That’s all. The stock could fall $4 in a day if there is bad news. It’s a lot better to sell and put that $120 back to work in a prospect I like better, and not worry that a year from now I’ll have to pay $8 on the sale, than to sit around and fret about it. If I wanted to sell out, usually I had a good reason, after all.

Saul

32 Likes

Saul:

I am sure you understood that these comments were in the context of Smorg making an argument to monthly jockey one’s holdings.

That was his thesis…the discussion was directed specifically to that issue.

So you do not concern yourself with taxes largely because the lions share of your assets are in IRA’s? That is a rather important fact for the readers and Smorg to understand.

I still think it would be interesting to go back to your first monthly and just calculate returns if never sold.

“I still think it would be interesting to go back to your first monthly and just calculate returns if never sold.”

Respectfully, I really think that’s for someone else to do or decide. Don’t you think he has done enough?

15 Likes

I wasn’t asking him…geesh…some on this board are getting ridiculous.

Smorg brought the issue up…not me.

Saul is not the messiah…for me anyway.

7 Likes

“Saul is not the messiah…for me anyway”

Oh I don’t know, he has walked on water for quite a while and at times turned it also into wine and a good one at that-))))))))))))))))))

3 Likes

I still think it would be interesting to go back to your first monthly and just calculate returns if never sold.

Hi Duma, you are welcome to do so. My first monthly summary (end of Nov 2013), is on the right hand panel under Additional Info, or something like that (thanks so much to FrickinFool who keeps it up).

Since then I’m up 172.3% as of Thursday’s close, and the S&P is up about 45.1%. If you took the largest 20 picks in my collection at that time (of about 28 or so stocks), I think you’d be appalled at the results of just holding them to now. But maybe not. I’m not going to do it. Don’t really care as I am very happy with my results the way they are.

Best,

Saul

7 Likes

I wasn’t asking him…geesh…some on this board are getting ridiculous. Smorg brought the issue up…not me.

And Duma, I personally don’t see anything wrong with your suggestion as an experiment. If it’s something you want to do, just do it. I’m in no way insulted. Really, really really! I swear it!:grinning:
Saul

4 Likes

IRAs are great while they last. Of course, when you get to the age that you have to start withdrawing (70-1/2), then taxes have to be paid on the entire withdrawals, not just the gains, and ordinary income tax rates apply, not capital gains taxes. So, the chickens come home to roost. If you have been investing successfully in your IRAs for decades, it may put you in the higher income tax brackets both federal and state. And, you don’t avoid those taxes by passing on the IRAs in your estate to your heirs. They have to continue the withdrawals and pay ordinary income taxes on them (with no step up in basis, which wouldn’t matter anyway given the obligation to pay on the full withdrawals). I’m split about 50-50 between IRAs and regular taxable accounts. Just saying.

2 Likes

With my state deferred comp plan I only need to take out $3,500 a year for every $100k when I reach 70+ in 2.5 years.

Think I’ll go to Costa Rica now for a vacation to learn how to surf instead of after 70 where I might not even be able to walk.

1 Like

The choice between tax deferred account and taxable account is a difficult choice. On the one hand pay taxes now! On the other hand pay taxes later. PTL has always been my preferred option (Pay Tax Later). But if you have successfully invested the difference between a 20% long-term capital gain and paying taxes as regular income for all dollars in the taxable account…arghhhhhhhhh.

I have to do my taxes next week. Do I move money into the SEP or eat the taxes this year?

Tough call.

Tinker

And Duma, I personally don’t see anything wrong with your suggestion as an experiment. If it’s something you want to do, just do it. I’m in no way insulted. Really, really really! I swear it!:grinning:

Good grief…can no one here read??

This is NOT my suggestion…I am merely pointing out that Smorg’s post on your trading over 3 months is NOT relevant or material to ANY investment thesis for the several reasons mentioned.

One would need longer term (hence the suggestion to him that 3 months is NOT useful) AND that tax implications are real and that we have not yet experienced a bear market.

My message FWIW, Smorg’s conclusion that one should trade positions MONTHLY to be like Saul, is not supported by the data set nor valid from tax perspective, etc.

As to whether you had done well had you not sold, the problem knowing that answer Saul is that you weight your ownership rather dramatically for certain stocks…how would we know if the alternative portfolio went 15% on several stocks you sold like BLUE, etc.?

It is not possible to be certain and it was never the point…I was merely referring to the conclusion that monthly churning of a portfolio leads to better after tax returns.

3 Likes

Saul says:“NOTE: I don’t pay taxes on the whole $120. I only pay taxes on the $20 profit! The difference between 40% short term tax and 20% long term tax on $20, is all of 20%, or $4. That’s all. The stock could fall $4 in a day if there is bad news. It’s a lot better to sell and put that $120 back to work in a prospect I like better, and not worry that a year from now I’ll have to pay $8 on the sale, than to sit around and fret about it. If I wanted to sell out”

Saul. Again, you show me the trees when all I could see befroe was the forest.

This ability to drill down and clearly point out the “truth” is why your comments are so useful to me (and others, I presume).

THANK YOU!
ralph

5 Likes

The choice between tax deferred account and taxable account is a difficult choice.

Um, not so much.

There are always exceptions and special circumstances, but the vast majority of time I’d rather pay you 20 years from now than pay you today.

AW

Um, not so much.

There are always exceptions and special circumstances, but the vast majority of time I’d rather pay you 20 years from now than pay you today.

Sure. Except …

The US national debt is now $18 Trillion-with-a-‘T’, which is $180,000+ per taxpayer. Does anyone think our tax rate will be a little higher in the future than currently?

If the plan is for corporations to pay less tax in the future, who do is going to have to pay more to make up the difference?

We could be paying a MUCH lower rate now than in, say, 10 years. At 65, I’m actually considering converting our vanilla IRA’s to Roth IRA’s, but haven’t got my pencil sharp enough yet to calculate the potential savings. (Actually our tax attorney is actually studying it now.)

Dan

2 Likes

Dan,

What is largely going to happen is the national debt will be monetized away. Obviously we cannot pay it off by just raising taxes. Raising taxes will slow down economic growth, which slows down tax collections. Raise it too much you lose, lower it too much you lose tax revenue.

What works, and politicians escape blame for, is monetizing the debt. What this means, and for 8 years under Obama it was tried (and largely failed) was keeping interest rates so low that inflation would return.

Now we are raising rates to avoid undue inflation.

However, in the future, if the rate of growth of government deficit spending as a percentage of GDP does not slow down, inflation will have to exceed the growth rate of the deficit.

That way fewer dollars (in value) will pay back a larger sum of debt. It reduces our standard of living because inflation reduces our purchasing power, but that is how it will work.

There are many ways to do things economically, and that is the one that is least painful (to politicians anyways) and that does indeed enable us to service our debt better. But if we inflate too quickly then interest rates will rise and the same problem as raising taxes too much.

Finding a good steady state of inflation is the key, and we may or may not be able to pull it off. But that is the economically practical solution to deal with this debt.

So with that said, the real rate of inflation will have to be materially higher in the future if we do not reign in the debt to a lower percentage of GDP.

Tinker

What is largely going to happen is the national debt will be monetized away. Obviously we cannot pay it off by just raising taxes. Raising taxes will slow down economic growth, which slows down tax collections. Raise it too much you lose, lower it too much you lose tax revenue. What works, and politicians escape blame for, is monetizing the debt.

Hey Dan and Tinker,
Come on Guys, this board is about investing, not about the national debt and politicians. Please put this discussion away. Thanks. It’s well thought out but it’s just wandering off into dangerous territory.
Best,
Saul

22 Likes

Hi Duma, you are welcome to do so. My first monthly summary (end of Nov 2013), is on the right hand panel under Additional Info

I read that first monthly summary last night. I did not do a careful historical analysis of those stocks, but I strongly agree that holding all of them until now would have been appalling compared to Saul’s actual results.

I then read through most of the monthly summaries since then (it was a late night), and have come away with several impressions.

First, characterizing Saul’s trading as churn is the wrong way to describe it. He is a unique combination of momentum following of high conviction stocks by continuing to buy as they trend up. He also buys on dips, which is going against the crowd, when he believes the fundamental investment thesis is intact. He also does not wholesale turnover the whole portfolio quickly. These are normally incremental trades.

Second, he avoids falling in love with a stock through a couple of techniques. If the valuation gets too high, he starts to sell some of the position. If this was a large position, which is turning into a very large position, he trims it back. Thus, even in his highest conviction stocks, he trims them back in the normal course of his trading. This is healthy, as it prevents him from riding a high conviction stock down too far when it stops performing well in the market.

I am a newbie (a couple of months) following this board, and really wish I had found it sooner. I have had several stocks that went up multiple times in a few years (TMF RB types). To stay in them for the big run-ups, I have not sold on pullbacks. The consequence of that is that I could not tell the difference between a correction when the fundamentals are unchanged, and when they had. I have held on to the big gainers until they came way back down, and many times until I was in a loosing position in the stock. When you have a big gain in a stock, and your mentality is buy and hold, you start thinking you are right, and the company will come back. Trimming a position still on the way up helps keep your objectivity so you do not ride it too far down.

Third, the unusual gains of the last year and a half are because the Knowledgebase technique of finding companies with high revenue and earnings growth, plus high NPS and/or ARR scores, has selected companies that have developed a culture of continuous improvement and focus on the customer, with a large (at least perceived) moat, and a long runway ahead (TAM). I think the secular change in the market we are seeing is a unique period when the enabling power of the Internet allows these successful SAAS companies to scale without adding lots of staff quickly. It is almost impossible for a company to triple or quadruple staff and maintain the quality of staff and culture. The unusual leaders who are capable of leading a company through these transitions are the ones that have created the world class software institutions, and the results of staying with them with a buy and hold strategy produces phenomenal results. Most leadership cannot do this, so the fortunes of a company will typically not be able to sustain the high growth rates. There are multiple other factors at play here, but this is a big one in the long term success of a company. I think many of those who believe these high growth companies cannot be sustained, are looking at the law of averages. There is no way for outside investors to fully understand the culture of a company, and how that will translate into long term competitive advantage. That risk is one reason the PE will stay low sometimes. What I really love about what Saul has synthesized in the Knowledgebase, and how this board discusses the relative merits of a company, is a way to uncover companies that have the potential for continued high growth rates.

However, when a critical mass of large institutional fund managers, buys into the ability of a company to sustain the growth rate, this produces the secular change we have seen in AYX, NTNX, SHOP, SQ, ANET, and other favorites on this board. The clearest example (still developing) to me is MDB, and the inflection point was Feb 27th. No news but volume tripled and continued. This was when some deep pockets made the shift in the investment thesis, and started buying. Most stocks do not have such a dramatic shift in how the big money views them without a new earnings report, analyst upgrades, or some event triggering it.

I would like to express thanks to Saul and the other contributors to this board for helping me become a better investor. So let’s keep up the respectful discussion so we can continue to uncover these growth stories and also when to sell them to manage our portfolios.

Many thanks,
Earl

37 Likes

I am a newbie (a couple of months) following this board, and really wish I had found it sooner.

Earl, you might be a “newbie” to this board but no newbie to investing! Nice analysis!

Denny Schlesinger

3 Likes

Dan,

We could be paying a MUCH lower rate now than in, say, 10 years.

As investors, I think we are inclined to try and “see” into the future.

It is complex enough to do on a micro level, but Saul has a good track record based on his analysis of facts pertaining to specific companies.

On a macro level, this becomes much more difficult to do.

I’m 67 and work because I enjoy it. When it’s stops being fun, I’ll retire. Personally, I allocate my retirement savings approximately 20% in after tax accounts and 80% in tax deferred accounts. This gives me some flexibility in case the RMD is not enough to cover my annual expenses.

But to your point, let’s say we each have $1 million in our IRA accounts. If you convert your’s, you will incur about $300k in taxes this year (I calculated using 2018 rates).

So now you have $700k in after tax accounts to invest as you see fit, with given capital gains and loss laws currently in effect.

I still have $1 million, but still have to pay taxes on it at some point in the future.

Now, regardless of what happens in the future, we will still have to determine what we invest in. But I have $300k more to play with, and potentially grow exponentially.

I’ve been married to the same woman for over 40 years (yes, you can send her sympathy cards), and we’ve honored the vows we each took. I’ve taken no such vows with my investments.

The point being we will each have the opportunity to change our investments based on the facts that occur at each point in the future. If interest rate skyrocket or whatever, we can each adjust accordingly.

Except you’ll be paying taxes on gains each year, while I’ll be deferring mine.

So what happens if taxes go to 98% when I am required to take RMDs? I’m screwed. But I don’t think that’s realistic or, for that matter, a long term solution to anything. And remember, I only pay the tax on the RMD and my distributions will be spread out over my lifetime of changing tax rates.

Obligatory joke: Did you know married men live longer than single men? So if you want a long, slow death, get married.

Anyway, the whole point is that I think deferring taxes as long as possible gives me an advantage, even given the uncertainty of future tax rates.

I’d appreciate hearing different viewpoints and poking holes in my logic.

Thanks,
AW

8 Likes

However, when a critical mass of large institutional fund managers, buys into the ability of a company to sustain the growth rate, this produces the secular change we have seen in AYX, NTNX, SHOP, SQ, ANET, and other favorites on this board. The clearest example (still developing) to me is MDB, and the inflection point was Feb 27th. No news but volume tripled and continued. This was when some deep pockets made the shift in the investment thesis, and started buying.

This is clearly false, at least w/r/t MDB and some of the smaller names up there.

The average volume on MDB is about $16m a day after tripling. You can do that very, very easily with zero large inst’l managers. AYX is doing less than $20m.

Or without any inst’l managers at all. It could be one financial advisor with some very wealthy clients, or some online momentum jockeys [more likely].

4 Likes