On waiting for the last dollar

On waiting for the last dollar

Two days ago someone wrote about TWLO, that now that it had dropped from $70 to $30, he would lower his buy point to $27, because that’s what someone said would be the wise thing to do. In fact, almost everyone has been saying to wait on taking a position.

I wrote as follows: The problem with lowering your entry point to $27 is that you might not get it. When the price has dropped from $70 to $30, holding out for a few more dollars seems a little greedy. If it goes back to $70, you won’t care if you paid $27 or $30, but you’ll kick yourself if you missed getting in. Just my way of thinking about it.

As of my current writing, in two days TWLO is up about 6% from that $30 bottom. That writer may never get his $27.

Here’s a quote from the Knowledgebase:

Never miss getting into a stock because you are waiting to buy it a few cents cheaper. The decision is whether you want to invest in it or not. Once you decide, take a starter position, at least. Don’t wait around for a slightly better price. When it’s at $50, I can guarantee that you won’t remember or care whether you paid $10.05 or $10.30, but you’ll be kicking yourself if you didn’t get in.

I’m not promising that TWLO will never get to $27. I don’t know what the future holds. The point I’m making is a different one.

Best

Saul

For Knowledgebase for this board,
please go to Post #17774, 17775 and 17776.
We had to post it in three parts this time.

A link to the Knowledgebase is also at the top of the Announcements column
on the right side of every page on this board

34 Likes

I understand what you mean…

I am still waiting to purchase PAYC…

At least I sold some puts…

Never miss getting into a stock because you are waiting to buy it a few cents cheaper. The decision is whether you want to invest in it or not. Once you decide, take a starter position, at least. Don’t wait around for a slightly better price. When it’s at $50, I can guarantee that you won’t remember or care whether you paid $10.05 or $10.30, but you’ll be kicking yourself if you didn’t get in.

making two important assumptions: that the investor can value the asset in some logical way (whatever that is - just make money!) and figuring that valuation is the hesitation, then you get a 2nd from Peter Lynch:

The best way to handle a situation in which you love the company but not the current price is to make a small commitment and then increase it in the next sell-off.
pg 158, Beating the Street softcover

Course, NONE of this matters if the investor doesn’t follow this from Saul #3:

Calculating Portfolio Returns

http://discussion.fool.com/knowledgebase-newly-revised-part-3-32…

5 Likes

Yep,

And it just so happens that a good portion of the stocks that have been lifting me up over the last two days are Saul’s investing discussion stocks.

:slight_smile:

1 Like